• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Thinking of a new shooting mat

Denys

Turbulent Optics Student
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2012
    Texas
    I have been using the same mat for close to 10 years now and I'm thinking I would like something newer.

My current mat is fabric (thin) with some rubber inserts towards the front. It measures about 28 inches by 60 some inches.

I have been using a hi-tech rubber welcome mat that I bought at Home Depot about 5 years ago on which I put the bipod down. My routine is to lay down the rubber mat first positioning it properly and then I put down my mat relative to it.

My shooting mat is almost straight down relative to the trajectory as I shooting lying down along my rifle with my legs straight back, none of this Hasbro GI Joe plastic rifleman Y-position for this old guy.

I'm quite tall at 5' 16'' inches and would like to find a mat that would be long also. I'd love something 72 inches or longer. I also would like something wider , 36 inches or more so that my right elbow is not dragging in the dirt/mud/fireant pile/etc. I do use elbow pads to help with that, but.

I think I also want it a little thicker than my current one as I have shot at places where the ground had surprises on it that my ribs or other portion of my anatomy would discover.

Lastly, the rubber patches are not required, in fact, the less of those the better; in Texas they get really hot in the Sun.

I have searched at all the usual places and have come up with nothing really worthwhile so far. Any thoughts?

Re: Thinking of a new shooting mat

I've been happy with the Midway Pro something mat.
    It's plenty big enough and on sale right now for $49.99.
    As far as the sun, I lay everything out and then roll the foot end of the mat back up over everything(including rifle) until I'm ready to ge into position.

A shooting partner uses a 40"x96" piece of outdoor carpet under his shooting mat to keep the mud down when the ground is wet.

the newer midway shooting mat is huge, I am 6'2" and i fit on it very comfortably.

Yep,...the Midway mat is pretty good. I've had one for about a year and I'm happy with it.

They go on sale every once in awhile and I've seen them down around $50,..pretty good deal.

for the money midway is great or triad tactical has one for $65.00 that is 72"-30" and 4"-8" rolled up it would pack up nice and small

Thanks for all the info. I was not aware of the Pro model from Miday; I thought all they had was that other sorry model.

The Pro model is on sale for $50 until May 31st.

I have also been looking at gymnastics folding mats and I see some that are 4 feet by 6 or 8 feet (or mode.) I'm going to do some measuring at the match this weekend. Then I'll see which way to go.

I picked up voodoo tactical mats from a place for under 50 a piece shipped.

http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/roll-up-shooters-mat-p8480.aspx?__utma=1.1832246977.1336177203.1336177203.1336177203.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1336177203&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1336177203.1.1.utmcsr=google.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/imgres&__utmv=-&__utmk=38556579

I like mine!

I went to it and if you do a 4 question survey and like it on fb you get $3 and 10% off of the 47$ item. thats like half price of the regular deal. great find! thanks

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...284#Post3077284

I really like the largest of the Midway mats, especially for f-class. I thought it initially kinda cheap, compared to other position shooting mats from creedmoor sports. It doesn't have the most padding, the PVC material used for elbow isn't the best, but in use over the last year or so it has been a great choice. I like its substantially larger footprint the best.

Thanks for all the good responses. I ordered the Midway pro model. It is on sale for $50 this month. The dimensions are what I was hoping for, 6 feet by 3 feet. The next match is the first weekend in June and I will be trying it out then.

i like my midway may only problem i have found is the padding where my elbow sit gets HOT from the sun when shooting in the spring and summer so i carry a small towel with me

Make your own. I learned to sew this past winter and made a bag/mat. It is something similar to the Blackhawk bag/mat. In no way am I an advanced "seamstress" but in one rainy afternoon, it's possible to cut and sew a mat. The Blackhawk goes for $125-150 but the materials only cost me ~$40. 1000D Cordura, 0.5" closed cell foam, Nylon webbing and buckles.

bagopen3.jpg

bagopen1.jpg

bagopen2.jpg

Both the Midways are adequate and are frequently on sale for 1/2 off...
    wink.gif

UPS just dropped off the mat from MidwayUSA. It think it will work fine, though I would have liked it in another color, something more manly like beige or fuchsia or better yet, chartreuse.

Naw, it's 6 feet long and 3 feet wide. I am in the process of adding a fan and a margarita machine to it.