• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of buying Accuracy Int AE MKII

staticTango

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
So...I have a savage 10fp LE2a and want to upgrade to something a little better. We have a 500 yard range and we do egg shoots and such and i'd like to have something to compete with. I wanted a FN SPR A3 G, but of course you can't get any b/c every wheres sold out indeffinatly, I then though about a SAKO TRG 22, but of course I can't find those either. I've read that the Accuracy Int AE is a good rifle, but others have sayed it won't even do better than around 1 MOA which I feel is a waste of $$$ for $3,300. Does anyone have any other input or experience w/ AI AE I CAN'T AFFORD A AI AW!!! Wish i could. I also though about HS Precision and GA Precision, but GA's told me about a year wait and 6 months on HS.

Re: Thinking of buying Accuracy Int AE MKII

Who the hell told you that they were a 1 MOA rifle?

In my opinion, if you want a short action AI, it is a waste to buy an AW. The Mark II offers 99% of the performance.

It is a tough ass, accurate rifle. It is a joy to shoot. The action is super smooth.

I have intentionally torture tested mine and it has yet to fail. 700 rounds, 3 different calibers, 8 degrees to 80 degrees, sleet, ice, rain, dust, mud in two different states. Oh, and I wiped it down with a light coat of lube when I started...none since.

The best thing about them: You call GAP, tell Moon you need an AW barrel in XX caliber. A week later, you screw it on, done.

The things you would be loosing over an AW...

You have to remove it from the chassis to change a barrel.
You can not top load it (single feed mags).
The 10 round mag sticks out a little farther.
Uhhhh, that about it.

They are a great weapon system.

Thanks man, I read 1 MOA on some article a guy had wrote up reviewing the rifle....i thought it souned pretty funky. i really don't have any need for the quick changing barrels of the AW and i'm not really worried about the mags sticking out a little farther. The only concern I really had was that I know the AE's aren't bedded at all like the AW's are, so i was afraid i might be loosing some accuracy (that compouned with my fear of 1 MOA, which i know is no longer true)

You could skim bed it if you really wanted, but I don't find it to be a need. They lock down in the chassis pretty well.

The AWs aren't bedded per say either. They are attached to the chassis with epoxy (glue).

Whoever wrote the article on 1 in accuracy has to be a bone head. Mine shoots fed match into about 1/2 in or better at 200 yards if I do my part. When I don't, it still shoots better than 1in no matter what. I have shot a few groups with my loads into 1/4 in groups at 100 yards. And I have also shot several 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards.

The 1 MOA thing is what most people hear as the AI guarantee. Because it is a military grade rifle they have looser tolerances (this is relative to full blown match rifles). They are definitely better than 1 MOA but that is the typical "guarantee" if you will. As for the TRG...check out Alex Roy at Eruo Optic. I bought mine from him back in the fall. Got it in 4 days. That was in a Desert Tan stock as well.

Josh

I think I read the article being discussed. He wrote down HIS actual results. It was some of the more honest writing I have seen. I think honest writing would show similar results with AW's, GAP's, APA's, you name it. He included the human factor.

That being said the AE is outstanding. If the AI stock suits you. I feel like I can't miss at the range. It is extremely accurate and tough. I have had custom guns and my AE takes the cake. And I definitely think it is a 1/2 moa or better gun.

Just my .02

I shoot a friend's AE (and a few others) the other day. The first time behind his rifle I shot 1/2 MOA (w/ practice I am sure I will do better). These rifles are GREAT.

AI makes an excellent rifle. I have a AW on order from MHSA - which hopefully will be here next week. Randy and Diann will treat you right ... and help you select the right one for your needs, explain the accessories, and are so VERY patient while you make your decision(s).

PS: Our local SWAT Team carry AEs and are VERY good with them....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The things you would be loosing over an AW...

You have to remove it from the chassis to change a barrel.
<span style="color: #3333FF">You can not top load it (single feed mags).
The 10 round mag sticks out a little farther.</span>Uhhhh, that about it.

They are a great weapon system. </div></div>

Don't the MKII's run AICS/AW magazines?

Sober, they do use aics mags which are single feed. So actually feeding the mag from the port isn't possible.

I think the ae is one of the best deals going. I just got my aw and love it but it isn't $2k better.

I was thinking they could take AW mags too, my bad. I think if I were going AI and not independently filthy rich, AEMKII would be the way to go!
Same trigger, switch barrel cpability, what's not to like?

What optics would you guys recomend on a AI AE, I have a Leupold mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14 on my savage and really like it, but i thought i might go for a mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20 this time around. I know alot of people like the nightforces and Schmidt and Bender, but i'm not sure if its worth the extra $$$ if i already like the leupold mark 4 i have. Any opinions...

butler and strauss definately

.....sure you don't mean <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Sellier and Bellot </span>Schmidt und Bender?
wink.gif

I have personally shot this rifle in the article and did a quick 5 shot group, off the Harris 6-9"/S bipod with Federal GM308/168gr HPBT LOT#276, with the AI 34mm/18moa mount part #3108 and a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50/.1mil/PA/MIL-Dot. This is the last group prior to departure:
AEMKII20mbgroup.jpg

Now I will not argue the results, but I have to say, this same rifle is in our demo guns now, and continues to shoot consistently sub-moa and near results as you see above with the same ammo. By what I understand from our customers, what I personally see and have experienced over the many years and many weapons, I have not seen or witnessed such an end result as published to date and surely hope not to experience this either. I do not expect this to be a norm, average and found, it would be clearly rectified prior to shipping. Hope this helps and have a great weekend.

I think it is clear looking at the articles data that the rifle is very capable. Particularly with the bullets more common to our arena. I found it interesting that he tried the SST and a Barnes bullet. The gun obviously did not care for them as much. Again, he was just honest about his results. I think all of us 1/2 moa shooters are bad to pick out our best groups and forget about the moa+ groups that are a result of the shooter and external factors.

Stacey's pic is what the AE is capable of. If you get an AE, you'll feel like you found gold. At least I do. Just my .02

Oh and the other thing is that you have a resource like Stacey to back you up. Great service. Always willing to answer questions and help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What optics would you guys recomend on a AI AE, I have a Leupold mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14 on my savage and really like it, but i thought i might go for a mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20 this time around. I know alot of people like the nightforces and Schmidt and Bender, but i'm not sure if its worth the extra $$$ if i already like the leupold mark 4 i have. Any opinions... </div></div>I have a S&B coming and feel confident (from the others I have shot) it is worth the extra $$$. Our SWAT Team using the NF (second focal plane). It really depends on what type of shooting you are doing, but if you can get a S&B. Mile High Shooting has some great prices - not cheap - but ...

wow, they definantly aren't cheap lol,$ 2k...what's the big advantage over a $1k leupold mark 4? I'm not planning on going click crazy in adjustments since i know the knobs aren't as reliable, but what else. Also, do you all think a AI bipod or just save money with a harris? Is there a big advantage to the AI one?

The S&B has far superior glass, knobs, etc. If S&B is too much go with a NF - which is still superior to a Leuy - IMO.

Of course, it would help to know your intended use (tactical - then you would desire a 1st focal place (FFP) - like S&B, NF has 3.5x FFP, and others ...).

As far as bipods - Atlas.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

When I get time, I am going to order some of these "Factory loads" and shoot a target setup with all on one for a true comparison and post, again WHEN I get a free chance. I believe it will be interesting for some.

A long time ago, when my AE was new, I shot 20 5-round groups at 100 yards using Federal Gold Medal Match II. (That was before I learned that shooting groups was not a particularly useful thing to do.)

The best group was around 0.42 inches. Not bad.

More interesting was that the <span style="font-style: italic">worst</span> group was around 0.82 inches.

So, when I really couldn't shoot all that well, I couldn't butcher a group with that rifle badly enough to get it to shoot worse than about 3/4 MOA.

And the average of those groups was about 0.6 inches.

And about 6 months after I took delivery of that rifle, I won a tactical rifle match with it.

I'd buy that rifle again in a second. Fortunately, I don't have to, as they just keep shooting.

Lindy, I agree with you on many things here, but you know how it goes. There are those that just want to see the "groups" and 5rd groups also, no 3rd cheats you know. While I understand "groups" have the place, but believe a single shot target with multiple targets per sheet are much more beneficial in the long run. I want to do this just to see for myself what "THIS" little AE MKII will do honestly, not with reload simply with factory loads and on a honest basis clearly presented. I hope I can get this done soon to post some I hope to be very interesting pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and if I recall correctly, a MK I AE was the high .308 at this year's Sniper's Hide Cup.</div></div>That it was.
wink.gif

The MK I is the sleeper buy right now: find someone who thinks a new MK II will give him some sort of secret advantage, then offer him money to rid him of his old used Mk I.
grin.gif

I have over 1700 rounds through mine and it's still my go-to match rifle. I just got back from shooting the Reade match with it, and yet again all the mistakes I made were not the fault of the rifle.

Next it's going with me to ASC, to shoot VLD's at 1100 yards against the magnums.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and if I recall correctly, a MK I AE was the high .308 at this year's Sniper's Hide Cup.</div></div>That it was.
wink.gif

The MK I is the sleeper buy right now: find someone who thinks a new MK II will give him some sort of secret advantage, then offer him money to rid him of his old used Mk I.
grin.gif

I have over 1700 rounds through mine and it's still my go-to match rifle. I just got back from shooting the Reade match with it, and yet again all the mistakes I made were not the fault of the rifle.

Next it's going with me to ASC, to shoot VLD's at 1100 yards against the magnums.</div></div>

And it's worth pointing out that AEs won this year's SniperWeek competition as well. The "winning group" that put them into first place measured about .25 MOA for 5 rounds, fired under stress, without a bipod.

The AE can most <span style="font-style: italic">definitely</span> shoot...anyone who doesn't believe it need only try one out to understand.

We actually still have one brand-new AE MKI left in stock; a standard 24" fixed-stock fixed-cheekpiece model. For anyone who wants the advantage of loading to a longer overall length, and would like a pristine MKI, this may be your last chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I went ahead and took the lead. Ordered my ai ae mkii yesterday. </div></div> Congrats - post some pics when you get her.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks, and the pics are coming...what's "tagscribe"? </div></div>

Arfcom saying. Meaning you intend to watch the thread by posting on it.

Sometimes I forget I am not on AR15.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baldmonk01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes I forget I am not on AR15.com</div></div>
shocked.gif

Stacey,

Any chance you are going to come out with 10 round MK1 mags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cg_wilson2003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacey,

Any chance you are going to come out with 10 round MK1 mags?</div></div>

I can't speak for AI, but I would <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> hold my breath for ever seeing 10rd MkI magazines. Your best option is to look at upgrading to an AE MkII...and get the removable trigger group, adjustable cheekpiece, folding stock/buttspike options, etc.

Nope, sorry, the MKII is now our focus. Plus I have one of the 8rd mags, don't care for the length and just not a overall desired item.

With very few exceptions you don't need ten round mags for competition.

Do new AE rifles ship in any kind of transportation case like a storm or something, or does it just ship in a normal cardboard box?

Also, I was wondering for the 24" barrel should i use 168 grain or 150 grain bullets. I have about 250 round of match grade ammo 150 grain already. Should they work pretty well in this rifle?

Both the 150's and the 168's should shoot well in a 24" barrel. I shot an AE Mk2 of a bipod at 200 yards and all five-shot groups were one inch or less. The AE's will shoot

All AI rifles at current are shipped to the US from the UK in the international shipping container, fancy wording for a nice cardboard box with internal open cell foam cut out interior. If the customers orders the weapon from the distributor/dealer with one of the AI cases offered, we will obviously ship them within that case. Our distributors have and are currently offering several models of cases which you can choose from, contact them for further details please.

I shoot some Remington 150gr Bronze Points, which I use for hunting, out of the AE and AW's with great success and accuracy to 500yds. Hope this helps, thanks for the other chiming in with more info and have a great weekend.