• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing thinking of changing barrel

JWGILLAM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
asheville nc
Im thinking I wanna step up and get my sps-v .308 Rebarreled to 260. Everything about the 260 seems better. What options would I have in barrels. And how much should I look to spend. And diff between blank vs prechambered. Any smith recommendations in wnc or close to it. Thanks in advance

Justin

Re: thinking of changing barrel

First off, choose a barrel maker, Not that it really matters as they are all good. Then find a smith to put it on for you. There are a number of fantastic smiths here on the hide that do great work. Depending on what smith you go with you could spent as little at 600 and go up from there.

Hope this helps.

I have shot a lot of different barrels over the years in Hunter Class Benchrest ( pacnor,hart,shilen, all button pulled)......The last few years I settled on (cut rifled barrels such as kriegar,k&p,bartlien.) all these barrels shot very well, but its just my opinion that a cut rifle barrel would have less stress in it after machining. It would be worth your time to find a smith with a reamer that allows you to jam. or touch the rifleing with the bullet you want to shoot.... and still fit (oal.) in a bdl style magazine. I get my reamers from Dave Kiff of PTG. He could set you up.......

I've used every marquee barrel maker in the last 12 years and they are all good.

The stuff coming from BRUX is very good and they've been consistently able to deliver on a very rational time line. I've had the pleasure of using them now on a few different builds and have had great results.

Prices are good too.

David makes the best tooling in the world for this stuff. I've used him from day one and he's never let me down. Can't go wrong with PTG.

Good luck on your project!

Chad