• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of changing out my 5R stock for a AICS

mrgreentie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2010
Jacksonville,FL
www.gunzoo.com
I own a Remington 700 .30 5R Milspec and I'm thinking of swapping out the stock for a AICS and am curious how difficult it would be to swap them out. I saw online it looks like you pop out two screws, remove the old stock, slide on the AICS, replace the screws, and BOOM, stock installed. But, on another site I saw a guy cut his AICS to get his 5R to fit due to the safety not fitting properly. Thoughts?

Also, what do you think I could get for the old stock? I think it's a HS Precision that comes standard on them. Also, I could sell the bottom metal as the AICS wont need it, right? I could use every penny from selling the old stuff as the AICS stuff is CRAZY EXPENSIVE!

Re: Thinking of changing out my 5R stock for a AICS

Correct it is that easy to install the stock and no you don't need the 700 bottom metal. Note; you may want to bed the stock though if the "corect" fit and all. I bedded mine but it's a Badger and not a 700. Once you get your new AICS stock, take off the skins. Place your action/barrel in place. Then screw one of the action screws down and see if you get any "rise" in the action. Do it to BOTH screws, front and back. I think that's what guys do on theirs if I remember correctly but I may be off a tad. Bedding your stock may not help all that much maybe but it sure adds added security if you run them like I do.

As far as you other stock... i'm sure you could dump it off in the for sale section but before you do that MAKE SURE you'll like the AICS first. Some guys likes the looks and feel of them but can't drive them for nothing.

Re: Thinking of changing out my 5R stock for a AICS

I did the same thing to my 5R because I have always wanted an AICS. If I had to do it all over, I would have just gone with the McRee stock. It offers a mag system has more modular features and a folding stock and is less expensive compared to the AICS 1.5 stage. IMO, you get a better value with the McRee and you can customize it to fit your needs.