• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thinking of getting first suppressor in June.....

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I found a class 3 dealer very close by that I had no idea was there. He charges $100 for paper work, is that normal?

I was thinking of going 9MM pistol because they are very quiet from what I have seen on Youtube. I have a Glock 19 now and might get a Sig 9MM down the road to make the can gun. Is there a very popular brand and model that is for 9MM?

The guy said the local sheriff shouldn't give any problems signing off on suppressors.

I know I won't do a trust on this because I want it to be mine and have no worries.

Ok so what brand and model is a good one to get?
And is $100 just for paper work ok or should I try looking around? If it is normal then I don't have a problem paying it but options are limited here in alabama.

Re: Thinking of getting first suppressor in June.....

My dealer doesnt charge anything for paperwork.. makes his cut off the dealer price of the can...for a first can I would recommend a 22... cheap..hollyweird quiet on a bolt gun...

Get ahold of Major Malfunction and save some coin. Get the Trident 9 from SWR.

The price on that SWR isn't bad. I sent Major a email on prices.

What should I do for a mount? Since I am thinking of getting a Sig for the can should I just get threaded or is it a better investment for something else?

You can not go wrong with the Trident9 comes with a booster or 3lug or fixed.What ever you want.Booster for the Sig.It is by far the best 9mm can I own.It also preforms great on a subgun with the fixed(thread mount).You can get threaded barrels for the Sig in mertic or standard as well as the booster.The Sig makes an excellent host,check out Silencer Research for test results.I use mine on a Glock too and it is awesome.Two guys shot my Glock-Trident9 at the club last month and have order one for themselves!

My dealer doesn't charge if you're buying it from him, and charges $50 if he's just transferring it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dealer doesnt charge anything for paperwork.. makes his cut off the dealer price of the can...for a first can I would recommend a 22... cheap..hollyweird quiet on a bolt gun...</div></div>

True story!

I will probably get a can for a 10/22 in the future. Going to see how the first purchase goes though for 9MM.

When you buy the suppressor from the dealer it should be free. I have never heard of a dealer charging for the paperwork. They don't do much with it except give it to you and tell you to get your local LEO to sign it (you need passport photos and fingerprints which you do too). Then you give it back to the dealer and he mails it to ATF. Am I missing something?

Yea I was wondering why he charged so much for really doing so little. There is another dealer local that I can check but he has terrible hours and the next closest one that I know of it about a 1.5hr drive away but it may be worth going to them because they actually stock alot of suppressors. They are out of state though so not sure how that works out.

I guess it all matters on how much a $100 means to you. I also have problem with the principle of the matter so I would drive eight hours just to do a deal with someone I trusted. But that is just me and I have ISSUES.
grin.gif

Visit http://www.silencerresearch.com/ and do a little research on tested cans by an independant 3rd party. Site has pictures, data and video clips of each can being shot on multiple hosts using regular & subsonic ammo (when required) and the sound signature for each. Very useful information.

And the dealer charging for paperwork when you're buying from him? Not the norm. I've bought my last few through Bryon at MMM and my SOT only charges $25 to do the transfer AND my paperwork. Just try asking the local SOT to waive the paperwok fee if you buy from him, if he's a jerk you can go elsewhere (and MMM has a list of SOTs, maybe he can help you find someone more reasonable).

And if you are buying in June you won't be taking possesion till October if buying from inventory in state in stock, add 2 months if buying from out of state dealer, add long time if manuf. of silencer is behind in stock which the good ones always are.

100 is too much,I pay 25 now.Get the trident or Evo-9.

I need to clarify with the guy about the $100 because it may be $100 to transfer if not bought through him. The going rate for the transfer if not bought from the person is $100 and that so far is from three Class 3 dealers I have talked to. One guy said he doesn't charge on the paper work, he has demo guns and supressors set up to test to see what I like, and sends a copy of the paper to me and the transfer person in my state. May have to use this guy since he seems eager to talk to me and answer questions.

Believe me, the best suppresor you can get is sitting behind your dealers case right now, in stock and ready to transfer. I made the mistake of ordering one and by the time it gets here I won't need it anymore my hearing will be long gone by then, ill just turn off my hearing aids if I want quiet. Maybe I can sell it for one of those 42x scopes, eyes won't be worth a damn either.

Sometimes dealers are not all that excited to talk to people who's first concern is talking about fees and charges, as compared to buying product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Believe me, the best suppresor you can get is sitting behind your dealers case right now, in stock and ready to transfer. </div></div>

I have a guy I am going to try and see this weekend which normally stocks some cans and has demo guns setup but it may be worth that extra $100 just to be able to test drive them before I buy.

It wouldn't seem that supressors would be so hard to get (in stock) because most ppl I have talked to that either hunt or are somewhat into firearms had no idea you could get them. And does it kinda annoy anyone that when you talk about a suppressor they say "Who are you going to kill?" I try to explain to them, to educate more than what Hollywood has shown them, that they do have good benefit and you are not an assasin. Feels like I am talking to a wall but maybe I can open the eyes of someone about firearms, or maybe I should keep my mouth shut. (Shrugs)

Haha I'm @ 6 months still waiting for delivery

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha I'm @ 6 months still waiting for delivery</div></div>

Is your paper work approved, and your just waiting for the can to be available for shipment?

+100 on ckirkc.

The most viable option is the one in your hand waiting for payment and a Form 4. I just got off a 3 month wait for the Form 3 on an in-stock-ready-to-ship can.

Obama fever is only going to get worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 is too much,I pay 25 now.Get the trident or Evo-9.</div></div>
+1...$100 bones is steep!

Also...if you get a Sig with a factory threaded barrel...keep in mind you'll end up with a funky L hand TPI vs. most 1/2x28.

SWR or AAC is the way to go...avoid Gemtech no matter how much of a deal you think you are getting. I am sorely dissapointed with my Gemtech 9mm can.

Opiy,
What part of AL are you in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SWR or AAC is the way to go...avoid Gemtech no matter how much of a deal you think you are getting. I am sorely dissapointed with my Gemtech 9mm can. </div></div>

+1 for AAC

I'm waiting on my Form-4 from ATF. It will be my 2nd AAC can. Uncle Sam cashed my check just after New Years. I can't say enough about the quality of Advanced Armament.

Try to locate "Hooper" from here on the hide. I'm sure he can give you a hand over there in Alabama. Certainly he would steer you in the right direction. Rhett is short but a really good guy.
grin.gif

Click Here: Hooper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deercop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opiy,
What part of AL are you in?</div></div>

I updated my profile but in Mobile.

I will do it for $50 but it might be cheaper buying through me.

Thanks for the referral TY. You hoser.

Ok by chance I found a guy that will do Class 3 transfers for $50 and FFL for $20. I hope the FFL goes well so I can use him on the Class 3 a little later.

Hooper I would have used you but to far away from Mobile.

My dealer makes the money of the cut of the suppressor. Doesn't charge for paperwork.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SWR or AAC is the way to go...avoid Gemtech no matter how much of a deal you think you are getting. I am sorely dissapointed with my Gemtech 9mm can. </div></div>

Which Gemtech can do you have?

I've got a Gemtech Multimount and it's stupid quiet. Far quieter than my .22LR Tac-65 running subsonic ammo in both.