• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Thinking of rebarreling my Rem 700. Advice needed

meyersa88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2012
Houston, TX
Long story short, I just got into F-class shooting and am looking to put a new barrel on my remington 700. Since I don't have the funding nor will have the funding for a custom rifle for at least another 2 years this is the route I'm choosing to take. Currently I'm considering a Lothar Walther barrel, 26" 1-8 twist with polygonal rifle chambered in 223 wylde with a threaded muzzle and 11 degree inward target crown. I'm looking to keep this a tactical style rifle mainly used for shooting at mid range matches. I know that there are a lot of other manufacturers out there but LW was the only one that had everything I was looking for. So unless I missed something I'm fairly set on the barrel but am definitely still open to suggestions. Also there are no gun smiths within 50 miles of me so I was considering ordering the tools to rebarrel myself and was wondering how feasible this is. I know it's not ideal and the only barrel that I've ever swapped is an AR-15 barrel. I do know that's very different. I'm just wondering if it is something I should even consider doing. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Thinking of rebarreling my Rem 700. Advice needed

I've barreled well over 1000 guns in my 14 years of doing this.

There are several marquee level barrel makers located right here in the good ol US of A.

No reason to look to Germany for a stick.

You can't go wrong with any of the following:

Bartlein
Kreiger
Brux
Mark Chanlynn
Lilja
Rock Creek
Broughton
Obermeyer

These are not in any particular order.

I personally like cut barrels over button but its just a personal preference. They both shoot equally well.

Some say the Brux stuff doesn't generate the velocity that others do, but the guys telling me this are all speed freaks and nothing short of light speed will satisfy them anyway.

Good luck,

C.

How worth it would it be for me to spend an extra $250 on my action having in trued, lapped and squared off? This would be done at the same time as having the barrel installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: meyersa88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How worth it would it be for me to spend an extra $250 on my action having in trued, lapped and squared off? This would be done at the same time as having the barrel installed. </div></div>

Entirely worth it, especially considering that the action will likely see more than 1 barrel on it so amortizing the cost of the truing work over 4 barrels makes it a $62.50 upgrade per barrel.

I don't know any of the top level gun builders who will barrel an action that hasn't been trued, most of them recheck the true every time just in case.

This isn't because they want to make another $xxx on that first barrel job, it's because their name and reputation is on the line and turning out something that might not shoot because of action issues that they COULD have fixed is driving their quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: meyersa88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How worth it would it be for me to spend an extra $250 on my action having in trued, lapped and squared off? This would be done at the same time as having the barrel installed. </div></div>

Since you asked and since I had this very conversation yesterday I'll answer it based on my experience.

I'm a car guy and a dragster fag in particular so I'll use it as an analogy.

If we go Pro Stock Drag Racing and want to be competitive we can't show up at a race with anything less than a normally aspirated 500cid engine making right around 1350hp. It don't matter how many .401 lights you cut, you won't win.

If you spend lots of time and money fussing and such you might find an extra 15-20hp that other guys don't have. In the world the rest of us live in 15-20hp isn't even worth mentioning. We'll never appreciate it in a street car and 99% of us aren't capable of putting it to the pavement anyway even if we did have it.

However, if your back in the pro stock car and your racing someone like Warren Johnson's kid then 15-20hp is a zip code of advantage.

Much is the same with precision rifle building, but it comes in two folds. Actual real world performance and the perceived gain/confidence boost it gives you as a shooter.

First you have to find that 1350hp. That starts with a premium grade barrel. All the action truing in the world won't fix a lemon. Neither will bedding, trigger jobs, optics, yada, yada.

All of those items fall into that 15-20hp category.

Action and bedding work make a great gun exceptional, but the gain is small and its expensive.

Next is the perceived value and the confidence it inspires in you as you pull the trigger. If you have the mindset that only an accurized receiver fitted with a great barrel will deliver the performance you must have, then that's all that will satisfy the bill. Anything less and your going to wonder/doubt your equipment when/if (WHEN) a shot comes up that isn't on call.

SO, receiver work is worth it if it's worth it to YOU. It's also worth it if your the caliber of shooter that averages in the HighMaster classification rating. (97% or better-not easy to do/maintain)

Hope this helped, but I fear it'll just put more doubts in your head. It's the truth though!

Please know that I don't say this as a shooter who's owned a dozen or so custom guns built by various marquee shops all over the US. My comments come from building a few hundred of these kinds of guns over 14 years in a variety of flavors for folks all over the world. It's just what I have observed over the years and my opinions/thoughts/findings are consistent with other builders who've been doing it as long/longer than I have.

C.

I would definitely agree with you there, I completely understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, as a college student, I've severely limited on my current funding. It may be a while before I buy a barrel, but when I do, I'm not going to short myself but not spending the extra little bit to make it a whole lot better. Unfortunately though that being the case, I may need to wait until the summer to do all of this. That way, when I do have a nicer rifle, I'll appreciate it that much more.

Ditch the gay F-class shit and shoot tactical matches. Your gun is accurate enough to not be a hindrance in that arena and you'll have more man points at the end of the day. Use your money on ammo.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditch the gay F-class shit and shoot tactical matches.
grin.gif
</div></div>

laugh.gif

FWIW, I'm a DIY guy on a budget as well...
I want to re-barrel my son's 700 to a capable long-range caliber now that he's got a couple years on his .223 and we're now shooting 600-1000 yards.

Considering a Rem-Age setup. Criterion barrel and nut from Northland Shooters...install/headspace pre-chambered barrels yourself just like you'd do on a Savage. Only issue is the recoil lug...the Savage action has a notch to center it when you spin on the barrel. There's a jig to pin the lug you can buy from Holland, but some guys say it's unnecessary. Not sure on that one...

Then the action...
A Savage doesn't need the lugs trued because of the floating bolthead. But you can get a lug-lapping tool from PTG, and true the lugs yourself. Yes, you're not actually trueing the action- so it's not a "precision" install...but if done correctly I doubt I could shoot better than such a rifle properly done could afford.

I just like the idea of being able to re-barrel a rifle without having to send it off to a gunsmith and wait months to get it back. I'm going to talk to Jim at Northland to see what kind of feedback he's gotten on the Rem switchbarrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd put a Krieger on it. You can buy the barrel from these guys and send your action to them and they will install it.

http://bugholes.com/krieger-barrels.php?cal=All </div></div>

I agree. Send you action to southern precision rifles!

As much as I would love to send my rifle out for someone to do it for me and have it done right, I just don't have the funds to do it. If I make enough money over the summer then I may be able to send it out over the winter to have it worked on, but most likely I'll end up waiting until I graduate to have it done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My advice is to do it right, or don't do it at all, but do NOT do it half ass. </div></div>
I would completely agree, which is why I'm either waiting until next summer or after I graduate to have the work done.

Lothar Walther makes a very good barrel.

Last I checked, Cumming, Georgia is still in the USA, though the city might have moved to Germany when no one was looking.
http://www.lothar-walther.com/
That being said, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, by the time you purchase all the equipment to do a barrel swap, you could have paid a gunsmith to true your action and install the barrel.
Plus, have you ever used a finish reamer?
Are you confident that you won't screw it up?

Some things are best left to the pro's.

On the other hand, you COULD convert it to a barrel nut system like the Savage, just a few tools involved and if you can turn a wrench, you can change the barrel.

My suggestion, if you want to stick with the .223:
223 AI, you won't gain alot, but with those tiny bullets another 150 FPS means alot.
You can fire you regular factory match ammo which will fireform the case for you.
Shoot the 77 and 80 grain pills, you could even go up to 90 grains and that little extra capacity of the AI will help.