• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of trying a Chassis

SpookyPistolero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Howdy folks-

I searched around but didn't find answers to all my questions on the subject. I am strongly considering getting a chassis as I work harder to become a precision shooter. I'm currently running with a Rem700 .308 AAC SD in a B&C medalist. It is not bedded. I am not setup for reloading, so I use factory ammo. I usually run about 1 MOA from the bench (have just gained access to a place that I can start running prone, I hope that this cleans up the group a bit more). With the advent of the XLR Element, I find myself in a position to get serious about the possibility of an equipment upgrade.

So my questions begin!

1) Will a chassis benefit a relative neophyte in this situation? Will it give a noticeable improvement in accuracy? (Or is the accuracy improvement, for a non-reloader, more likely to come from improved stock fit of a chassis?)

2) Will a chassis alter my learning curve?

3) Is there truly no fitting/etc to install the chassis? Just drop it in and bolt it on?

Thanks very much for your thoughts

You wont see a huge improvement in accuracy with a chassis alone, especially considering you're already using a stock with a Bedding block.
The quality chassis are bolt and go
The chassis wont alter your learning curve. It may benefit it provided that you get a chassis that is comfortable and natural for YOU

You wont see a huge improvement in accuracy with a chassis alone, especially considering you're already using a stock with a Bedding block.
The quality chassis are bolt and go
The chassis wont alter your learning curve. It may benefit it provided that you get a chassis that is comfortable and natural for YOU
I agree 100%. The main reason I went with a chassis is the feel was almost identical to my AR. The pistol grip, rails etc. are all familiar and comfortable to me. By the way, mine is in an XLR. I love it.

i am debating with myself on this as well. i have a manners T3 with a mini-chassis and DBM. i also have a mcree. i like the traditional stock better, but on the other hand, i was able to fit the chassis to me better than a traditional stock with no adjustments. for now, it's 50/50.

no learning curve at all. just drop it in and go. improvement in accuracy? i have no first hand experience. i don't hand load yet, and have never had a bedded stock.

The best thing is to use what fits you best. I have a Remington in an A5 an an AW. I shot just the same with either rifle. The Remington was once in a B&C stock. It shot the same in the A5 or the B&C. I just liked the A5 better. If you like your stock bed the action. Sounds like you have a good setup. My advise would be get training to help make you a better shooter. You would probably gain more with a class than a stock.

My advise would be get training to help make you a better shooter. You would probably gain more with a class than a stock.

This may hit the heart of the issue. I recently discovered there's a class that works locally. It's about as much for a two day class as the chassis would cost (is this average?). I usually choose training before gear, but also don't want to be shot in the foot due to subpar equipment.