• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of Upgrading to a 50 BMG

Zakm9

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
I currently have a RRA AR15 and a DPMS 308. I have been getting the itch to sell one of them and upgrade to a 50 BMG and wanted to get any thoughts if anyone has done something similar.

I also don't know which one of my current guns I should sell to finance the deal.

I am looking at the Barrett 99 or the Serbu 50. I like the Serbu because of the $2,300 price tag but have had a hard time getting any opinions on it. I also love the look and feel of the Barrett. I have no way of shooting either one so I will have to buy based on others experiences. Thanks for any help.

Re: Thinking of Upgrading to a 50 BMG

What are you planning to do with it ? Would you be able to stretch your wings ?

Also you are comparing apples to oranges there. A Barrett is gonna be way different that the Serbu.

Question is, if you can buy one, can you afford to shoot it ?

I would use it for target shooting, same as my other AR's. I live in Las Vegas, which still has some desert areas where they are still legal to shoot without being harrassed. I wouldn't be able to shoot it as often as my other rifles, but 10-20 shots of a BMG will still be an experience I can look forward to.

I actually got to hold the Barrett 99 and love the feel of it. I just wanted to see if anyone has any input on the Serbu or even the Armalite. Thanks

Just got myself a Barrett M99. Love it. very accurate since it is a single shot. Well built, recoil is not too bad since they installd the triple port braker. IMHO, the Barrett may hold its value a bit more if you plan to sell it down the road. It's just because of the name Barrett. Don't have any opinion on the Serbu.

BTW, everything about the 50 BMG is expensive, even the surplus ammo. The initial investment cost for reloading will be somewhere around 1K. (not including brass, powder, bullets, primers). But then again, it's a 50 BMG. What do you expect ?
grin.gif

I had a Barrett M99. My friend has a Serbu. The Barrett kicks a lot less and is more accurate. I got out of .50BMG because of the expense. The affordable ammo out there isn't very accurate. Bullet weights vary greatly and they were just thrown together. I'll get more detailed when I get to work. Typing on an IPOD is too slow.

OK, I'm at a real computer now...
My experience with the Serbu is that it's pretty basic and a little clunky. The Muzzle Break is lacking and it hurts more to shoot the Serbu than the Barrett. I could shoot up 50 or 60 rounds in a very short time in my Barrett. I'm not sure if this applies to all .50's but I had an accuracy issue with my Barrett so I called Barrett to get some insight. Apparently "copper-fouling" is more of an issue with a .50 than other calibers. They told me to get a good copper removing solvent and... Voila! Accuracy returned.

I would definitely get another Barrett before I would even consider a Serbu.

"orkan" has a good thought too! I haven't done my homework on .50BMG uppers but I haven't heard anything bad about them either. It's a good option.

By the way, the friend of mine that bought a Serbu wishes he had spent the extra money and bought a Barrett... and he only paid $1800 for his Serbu

Another option that one can go with is the Blue Grass Vipers. It's designed and built by the same person who used to work and design for Barrett. It's a single shot also and bears many similar features to the Barrett M99 for obvious reasons. Supposedly, it is an at least MOA gun with match ammo. A friend of mine has one, but has not fired it yet.

I have a Robar RC-50, and it's an outstanding rifle! 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee from the factory, and in reality it's more accurate than that.

@OP: you should think about your goals for this rifle carefully because, like others said, the initial investment is only the start of the money drain. If you only want to fire a few rounds for the experience, I'd say you should befriend some folks in your area who shoot 50's regularly, and ask if you can fire a few rounds here and there. Offer to pay them for the rounds even because the custom stuff can get to $7-$10 each. In the end it'll still be a whole lot cheaper than purchasing an entire rifle.

If you're into long range shooting, there are other calibers out there that are less slightly expensive. Had I had the option 10 years ago when I purchased my 50, I would have opted for a .375 Cheytac instead.

I have an Barrett M99 with the shorter fluted barrel. It's a fun rifle but I have not had a chance to shoot it farther than 200 yards yet.
I put a NF NXS 5.5-22X50 ZS MLR on it with Badger Max 50 rings.
Recoil is light. Blast is insane. Fun as hell.

If you want a 50, get a 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got myself a Barrett M99. Love it. very accurate since it is a single shot. Well built, recoil is not too bad since they installd the triple port braker. IMHO, the Barrett may hold its value a bit more if you plan to sell it down the road. It's just because of the name Barrett. Don't have any opinion on the Serbu.

BTW, everything about the 50 BMG is expensive, even the surplus ammo. The initial investment cost for reloading will be somewhere around 1K. (not including brass, powder, bullets, primers). But then again, it's a 50 BMG. What do you expect ?
grin.gif

</div></div>

1k!?!? Lee sells a kit for 285 with everything you need.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/...c.html#FIFTYBMG

It may not be the fanciest thing out there, but it will get the job done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1k!?!? Lee sells a kit for 285 with everything you need.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/...c.html#FIFTYBMG

It may not be the fanciest thing out there, but it will get the job done! </div></div>

works for me!!!

IMG_3010.jpg

Check out the AR-50, they are pretty nice rifles. Also the Ferret50 is supposedly nice.

Not meaning to hijack your thread but how does a LAR Grizzly compare to the Barrett or the Serbu or the Robar or the Armalite or an Accuracy International? The LAR seems pretty inexpensive for a 50 caliber.

I bought the lee 50BMG kit from Widner's, it was $175 at the time and I can cook up 1MOA rounds with it no sweat. I know there is better stuff out there but this works for me. Not to rain on your parade, if you want one, buy one, but surplus components have all but dried up. Ironically, I can still find #35 primers at all the usual places. Also buy an Armalite. Why? Because they're the best. Duh.

Thanks for all of the great info. I have been reading about all the upper conversions and other models mentioned here.

The Bohica definitively looks to be the most cost effective option but I am weary of the pounding it would do to the AR15 lower as well as the mods users have to do to them.

As for the Serbu, the biggest thing I didn't like about it before I even posted here was the "Tube-like" look to it.

The other rifles are just as expensive if not more expensive than the Barrett I was looking at. I am going to go back to my local gun store and check out their inventory again. They have an Armalite, Bushmaster and of cours the Barrett. I also have an potential option of testing a friend of a friends BMG. I will update after I hear from them. Once again thanks for the insightful info.

Either way, I see a BMG in the near future!

I have an AR50 and I like shooting it. But, if I was going to shoot 50bmg more often i would go with a barret. They are somewhat shorter and lighter which makes them easier to transport. My AR50 is not one of those rifles that you just grab up on the way out the door and say I think I will shoot this today. I also have a lee reload kit and it works just fine but, the supplies are getting pretty damn thin.

I've got a Serbu and love it although it's not the sexiest gun.

Never shot it at all that long of a range, but it seems pretty accurate when I've shot it with ball ammo. I loaded some AMAX rounds the other day, will see how it does with match components soon.

Shawn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Serbu and love it although it's not the sexiest gun.

Never shot it at all that long of a range, but it seems pretty accurate when I've shot it with ball ammo. I loaded some AMAX rounds the other day, will see how it does with match components soon.

Shawn </div></div>

My 107 shoots 'bout 3 MOA with mil ap or api.

The two groups I shot with my best load of A-Max's was 1" at 200 yards. Really big differance. But who can afford to shoot A-Max all the time at $2.50 a piece.

+1 on the Lee press. I've heard bad reviews but tried it anyway and it has done good. Just get the CH4D primer for it.

I have been reading about all of the options but keep coming back to the Barrett. Is there anything negative about it, I have not found any bad reviews.

All the talk about the expense of shooting the fifty - you can still find surplus ammo to shoot for around $3 a shot. Reloading takes it even lower. When you compare this to some standard rifle calibers - i.e. weatherby and others there's not much diffence. A box of 300 wby is ~ $60, same as 20 50mbg rounds.

Which do you think would be more fun to shoot?

BTW, I have a 30" BOHICA MkIII on order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kongo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reading about all of the options but keep coming back to the Barrett. Is there anything negative about it, I have not found any bad reviews. </div></div>

So far, I am very pleased with my M99. The only thing, if I have to make a critical comment about it, is the bipod could be a bit more robust. Otherwise, it is good to go in my book.

I have a cobb 50, which is a rebadged bushmaster ba-50. 10rnd box mag, 30' barrel, and very accurate to 600 so far.

best money I ever spent. little kick, but one hell of a muzzle blast

I have a serbu. It has smith rings and a 6.5 x 20 mark IV lupy.
It is not as sexy as some others but it will definitely hold a group when shooting AMAX loads. As a quarter will cover the group which is great if you think about how big the holes are.

My buddy has the Barrett m82 and it does not shoot anywhere as accurately. It's great for hammering vehicles or pirate ships or such things. It's a better way to put "very" accurate bmg fire on a target verses area fire. From an infantry platoon point leaders point of view, it would have been great to have on a support position on a raid to hammer harder targets while your manuever element was closing and to cover likely avenues of approach.

The bolt 50's are the only way to go for precision fire though.

Go to "biggerhammer" for more info.

I have the Serbu. It will hold its own with Amax. Not the best looking rifle but it is fun to shot. I would not recomend it for a comp. gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kongo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reading about all of the options but keep coming back to the Barrett. Is there anything negative about it, I have not found any bad reviews. </div></div>

I would spend the extra money up front and go for the Barrett (especially since you have stated that you have held it and like it). I had a M99 and it was a great rifle. I had no complaints about it (aside from the obvious expense of shooting a .50 BMG). I only sold it because I decided I wanted an M82A1 semi-auto instead. Good luck!