• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thinking out loud...

bricktop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
State College, PA
With the rather large and growing interest in Mil-reticle scopes with mil adjustments, how come many still refer to their guns as MOA accurate or 1/2 MOA?

When do you think we'll start calling our rifle "point-2 mil", "point-one mil" accurate or similar?

Just sayin'

Re: Thinking out loud...

May take a long time. I remember in school 30 years ago the metric system was going to take over from our still current system. Even though I use almost all metric tools everything is still in in/lbs and ft/lbs. and give me a foot of this or a couple of inches of that.

... probably around the same time our speed limit signs change to kilometers per hour.

Except for one small detail, mils have nothing to do with the metric system.

Yes, they should be referring to their guns as "centimeter" guns.
(One cm in 100 meter is .1 mils)

mil > moa

laugh.gif

MOA is easier to convert than mils for the average guy. Swan hit it on the head. As long as Americas standard is inches and feet, mils probably won't be used because it's hard for most people to know exactly how small or large a centimeter is. Regardless if it's metric or not, people just don't use centimeters unless their job is dependent on it but most people could give you a pretty close guess as to how big an inch is. If you ask a guy how many centimeters his spread is at 100 yd, he's probably going to answer you by saying it's 3/4 MOA or whatever it happens to be, because he has absolutely no clue how many centimeters it is.

regardless,

It's still quicker and simpler for me to adjust in Mils and use a Mil based reticle.

And then when you have a spotter calling shots in Mils...it's just icing on the cake and makes MOA look retarded.

You guys that get all wound up about this garbage probably really don't go out and shoot that much.

Go out and shoot with what works best for you...even if it happens to be MOA
laugh.gif

ill start it right now... im zeoing my rifle this weekend... ill only post in mills what the groups were like. see what others say...

i was thinking the same thing yesterday...

cmon 2 centimeter groups!!.. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a couple sub 0.0254meter rifles just don't sound right. </div></div>

I donno... As an engineer, I kinda like the sound of that.
grin.gif