• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This asshole who keeps posting all the chinese crap late at night

brian1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2019
NH
He did this a few nights ago, and I flagged all his posts. He posted a bunch of threads, all with two letter contents (perhaps just testing to see he could post. Then he went back in and edited all the threads to contain all that crap he's dumping in. No doubt it's same guy, different username, presumably banned as soon as a moderator spotted him. He's at it again tonight. Hopefully, you can get his IP address and block anyone with even a similar IP - or his whole country, as it's probably coming from China. Now I see why some sites require manual approval before a user can post at all.

Reactions: Habu64
1650198968097.gif

It's probably not an indivual. It's probably sponsored by a quazi governmental group who has more resources to attack us than we will ever have to defend from them.

My thanks to those doing the thankless work of keeping the board working.

Annoying, but it is actually a good thing. They can read our content. So that means anybody and any groups who want to take on the CCP in the future can get motivation from our content.

ETA: When I was in China from 2008-2009, my level of shitposts on Arfcom and Glocktalk was not affected or disrupted one bit... Even if these sites are somehow blocked in the mainland due to recent political troubles, those who want to read them still can.

Problem is they have pushed all normal threads off the boards. I had to scroll through 3 pages just now to find a thread in English. Yikes

They're just bots that will spam as many non Chinese message boards as they can.

I suspect it is just the CCP flexing to remind any potential Chinese dissidents that the party is always present.

Even if the site moderators blocked every single ASN originating from China, it would do very little, most of this shit is automated or carried about by worker bees sat in concrete factories on the mainland getting paid 1/5th of a US penny to spam this shit out. Why? Who cares - any number of reasons to do it.

Unsure of the technical capabilities of whatever forum software that is underneath SH, but banning Chinese characters will work until they wise up and then swap to "regular" spam. RECAPTHCA and otherwise will barely dent anything with at least a semi-smart human behind it.

He's baaaaaaack again tonight.
I was wondering the same thing (about why not his whole dame block of IP addresses blocked)
I'm starting to view him as the incoherently babbling homeless person you see on the street - just keep on walking.

Solving this is easy ... (IF) Foreign Symbols (THEN) Filter and Block ... I just don't get why this keeps happening. Those stupid posts with two characters in the text and subject are a bit harder, but you can still build that filtering logic pretty easily.

I honestly don't get it. It was recommended I hang out here more after some bad experiences at another long range related forum.

So I come over here and the most active thread was guys buying factory ammo, and for the past 4 nights there is like 20 posts by this idiot in this forum alone. I don't really read any of the other forums here.

I know there's some great shooters on this forum, I've followed it for a number of years on and off, but the ELR forum seems to be missing someone that even cares what the focus of the forum was, not to mention can't even keep this SPAM from showing up nightly...certainly I must be missing something...🤔

I honestly don't get it. It was recommended I hang out here more after some bad experiences at another long range related forum.

So I come over here and the most active thread was guys buying factory ammo, and for the past 4 nights there is like 20 posts by this idiot in this forum alone. I don't really read any of the other forums here.

I know there's some great shooters on this forum, I've followed it for a number of years on and off, but the ELR forum seems to be missing someone that even cares what the focus of the forum was, not to mention can't even keep this SPAM from showing up nightly...certainly I must be missing something...🤔
The quality has been replaced with quantity.

“Individual users” clicking around has become more important than the best minds participating in the hobby attempting to find the end of the rabbit hole.

“I don’t need you. There will be 10 more to replace you tomorrow.”

Turns out that is dogshit logic if you want any of those new people to stick around and learn.

“Individual users” clicking around has become more important than the best minds participating in the hobby attempting to find the end of the rabbit hole.

Turns out that is dogshit logic if you want any of those new people to stick around and learn.
Most forums end up with a lot of knowledgable people getting burned out answering the same question again and again. That or having to deal with petty arguments from people that are usually inconsequential. Post a good question and the knowledgable lurkers will answer.

-Alex

Reactions: Rich4 and Frgood

The problem with that logic is that people like me will not become a member, they present some type of 3 tier system to become a member, from a monthly fee to a yearly subscription to giving gratis money. I understand it's difficult to run a forum like this, but if it wasn't for people like me nobody would be exchanging information at all. The Internet is being destroyed by greed and advertising...that was not how the Internet was meant to be.

Most forums end up with a lot of knowledgable people getting burned out answering the same question again and again. That or having to deal with petty arguments from people that are usually inconsequential. Post a good question and the knowledgable lurkers will answer.

-Alex
And who's fault would that be? Sure it couldn't be their problem for continuing to answer the same question over and over, could it? Must be the new people that don't search, right? I do actually search, in fact I've been a member here for years and I do come here from time to time. I have seen some of the vids, but not a lot of them. But I'm not about to give them any money when the primary forum I'm interested in is in shambles...I must be getting too old, but I'm looking out for No 1 at this point.

And who's fault would that be? Sure it couldn't be their problem for continuing to answer the same question over and over, could it? Must be the new people that don't search, right? I do actually search, in fact I've been a member here for years and I do come here from time to time. I have seen some of the vids, but not a lot of them. But I'm not about to give them any money when the primary forum I'm interested in is in shambles...I must be getting too old, but I'm looking out for No 1 at this point.
I'm not assigning blame, just making an observation. It is a delicate balance to keep a forum alive. You need a critical mass of people to keep a forum alive and without that people don't come around looking for new posts that they might care about. The more people you have coming though, the more dumb and repetitive questions you get which bore the knowledgable people who either stop coming around or stop replying to the vast majority of posts. YOU may hit search before asking a question that has been addressed many times over, but most don't.

If there is a way of balancing those issues, I've yet to see it in a public forum. Small private forums are easy to keep stable and productive but the membership needs to be intrinsically restricted and the knowledge base doesn't often filter into the public realm. The chances of attracting new people that have a lot of knowledge is near zero. Listservs are a good example. I am on one that has been stable for about 25 years and while new topics are rare, they are usually quite vigorously discussed when they come up.

As far as public forums go, I flit between them as they become more or less useful to me. No real attachment to any of them. Distain for some perhaps. I'm certainly not going back to Facebook unless Zuckerberg shows up at my house and eats the peanuts out of my shit...

Like I said; no recriminations, just observations.

-Alex

Why has no one from the hide admin fixed this problem

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "so easy a caveman could do it" and 10 being "it takes the NSA to stop this shit", how difficult do you think fixing this is?

Solving this is easy ... (IF) Foreign Symbols (THEN) Filter and Block ... I just don't get why this keeps happening. Those stupid posts with two characters in the text and subject are a bit harder, but you can still build that filtering logic pretty easily.
maybe that's how this asshole gets around filtering rules - the one night I was on just as he was doing it, that's what he did - he created all these posts with 2-letter text & subject, then he went back in later and changed all the letter pairs for his idiotic posts.
OTOH, by now I've just gotten used to them and it's easy to skip over them. It does seem like it should be a pretty simple thing to filter out, though.

maybe that's how this asshole gets around filtering rules - the one night I was on just as he was doing it, that's what he did - he created all these posts with 2-letter text & subject, then he went back in later and changed all the letter pairs for his idiotic posts.
OTOH, by now I've just gotten used to them and it's easy to skip over them. It does seem like it should be a pretty simple thing to filter out, though.
Just block the country of china

Reactions: liber
I'm not assigning blame, just making an observation. It is a delicate balance to keep a forum alive. You need a critical mass of people to keep a forum alive and without that people don't come around looking for new posts that they might care about. The more people you have coming though, the more dumb and repetitive questions you get which bore the knowledgable people who either stop coming around or stop replying to the vast majority of posts. YOU may hit search before asking a question that has been addressed many times over, but most don't.

If there is a way of balancing those issues, I've yet to see it in a public forum. Small private forums are easy to keep stable and productive but the membership needs to be intrinsically restricted and the knowledge base doesn't often filter into the public realm. The chances of attracting new people that have a lot of knowledge is near zero. Listservs are a good example. I am on one that has been stable for about 25 years and while new topics are rare, they are usually quite vigorously discussed when they come up.

As far as public forums go, I flit between them as they become more or less useful to me. No real attachment to any of them. Distain for some perhaps. I'm certainly not going back to Facebook unless Zuckerberg shows up at my house and eats the peanuts out of my shit...

Like I said; no recriminations, just observations.

-Alex
So would should the moderator do, should he sacrifice new people coming to the forum because some of the knowledgeable folks that do know how to shoot ELR will leave out of boredom? That doesn't seem like a good model for a forum to me, but what do I know...
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "so easy a caveman could do it" and 10 being "it takes the NSA to stop this shit", how difficult do you think fixing this is?
I would put it around 2 possible, at the "any moderator worth their salt should be able to solve this simple problem.".
Just block the country of china
Unfortunately that is probably not a bad solution. I always feel we should respect everyone's view, even if it's 180 degrees from our own...it's really tough to be a rational moderator, I have been there and done that...most forum software has the ability to prevent new users from posting until they have either a given amount of posts or until the moderator allows them. Somehow it doesn't seem that there's even a moderator here. But someone is deleting the Wuhan SPAM, so not sure if there is a moderator or if a general SH moderator is doing that. I'm not, I know that and I see about 20 per night, which means everyone else must see that as well until the moderator, whoever it is, deletes them.

Look, I'm not a paid member here, I don't subscribe to their service, and if you others feel it's a good value I'm not saying you shouldn't become a full member. All I am saying is I won't do it, and will just continue lurking as I have over the past few years. I'm encouraging my local ELR to create a private form for the interested people and keep a tight watch over what is posted and don't allow any of this annoyances from third world countries destroying a focused forum.🤔

It's organized,

It's not the same account, it's most likely coming from the same building in China

We have blocked entire sections of China they just make new accounts, new Network IP addresses, you can't stop them.

We block a fuck ton more than you guys ever see, this is not something new, happens a lot for years now, they use these sites to practice.

You guys and I will use the Term, loosely, are Idiots, you think we are not aware of all this, like we have not been fighting this for 20 years

Once you get popular, get numbers under your belt, you get attacked. If you don't see it in other places it's because their sites are TINY, like fucking small, and they don't register on the scammers' radar.

We have volume, we have numbers, we have active fucking security, it's a MINOR inconvenience one or two get through a week. As well you all feed the scammers so they are attracted to your idiocy of falling for their scams so they like you. You feed them.

You have no fucking clue the amount of security we have, we also manually approve any account that flags our automated system, in fact, we probably block and piss off 10 people a week because our security is so high

If that other site you frequent is not being attacked, it's not worth their effort. The reason you see it now, is we moved servers so they are playing with that before they knew the score, but now we have a new box so they want to test it.

You guys and I will use the Term, loosely, are Idiots, you think we are not aware of all this, like we have not been fighting this for 20 years

Once you get popular, get numbers under your belt, you get attacked. If you don't see it in other places it's because their sites are TINY, like fucking small, and they don't register on the scammers' radar.

We have volume, we have numbers, we have active fucking security, it's a MINOR inconvenience one or two get through a week. As well you all feed the scammers so they are attracted to your idiocy of falling for their scams so they like you. You feed them.

You have no fucking clue the amount of security we have, we also manually approve any account that flags our automated system, in fact, we probably block and piss off 10 people a week because our security is so high

If that other site you frequent is not being attacked, it's not worth their effort. The reason you see it now, is we moved servers so they are playing with that before they knew the score, but now we have a new box so they want to test it.
Small sites get the same bullshit. Was a mod on a forum with maybe 50 regular users and we saw the same shit but from russia. Spent more time deleting accounts than participating. Most of it was never visible though once we required the first couple posts to be approved. Still had to wade through a mountain of Russian bullshit but that turned out to be good mental preparation for the last three months lol...

-Alex

Reactions: rpoL98
It's organized,

It's not the same account, it's most likely coming from the same building in China

We have blocked entire sections of China they just make new accounts, new Network IP addresses, you can't stop them.

We block a fuck ton more than you guys ever see, this is not something new, happens a lot for years now, they use these sites to practice.
I know very well, I run my own web and mail server and I have setup forum for fairly large sites, etc...I remove entire blocks all the time. Most of these SPAMers are in different countries. I don't really know the details here, I just know that every night I see 20 Wuhan SPAMs in this forum and that doesn't seem normal as other sites don't have that problem.

I also understand that hiring IT professionals is not cheap, people like me don't give their time away for free. From what you're saying it sounds like Sniper's Hide needs to hire some people that can figure out how to solve that issue.

I just replied to this thread, so I'm not the only one suffering through this Wuhan attack, not to mention their virus has upset not only ELR but most activity around the globe. So if it's not apparent, my patience is running low for these people and I don't want to buy anything from China and I don't feel we should send any manufacturing to them. And they censor more than anyone else on their own people, so the world should censor them. :mad:

With that said, Sniper's Hide stands a very small chance of people like me of becoming a member. It was pointed out that more new members join as older members get bored with them and leave. That model will not work for people like me, I hope it keeps working for them.

I'm glad to hear you have so much security in place.

Let me give you a clue...it's not working.

• Haha
Reactions: rlsmith1
I worked for a rather large construction company in a previous life. A friend in IT told me they experienced roughly 2 attacks per minute.

That was 10 years ago.

Thank you,
MrSmith

What is funny with this fucking guy,

401,000 threads with 5 million-plus posts and having a single account get through every 3 days or so in the last month is offensive to this dick stick

Yes I failed, I need to hire more people because the people I have are not working

Reactions: jasent
I’ll just keep continuing not to click on them and go about my day. Seems you got a handle on it.

If only there was some way to block the few posts that leak through LL's front line... Oh wait:

quasi-random-profile.jpeg

(Never mind that "German" fellow, it's some other pricks this time around.)

He was holding a large wooden spoon before his exit.

It's organized,

May I be so bold as to suggest having a mod in a different time zone with ability to delete only new posts/comments.

This would decrease the response time to shit posts and limit the loss of content to only newly made ones. I am not sure if that's possible but certainly would be great.

I'm not in any way suggesting any specific member, much less a new member such as myself.

You should all stop suggesting things, they make a few posts, we catch it, end of story

Build your own fucking site if you want to make changes

I need to start suggesting better ways to fuck your wives, they’re bored and you’re doing it wrong - if you want video send me a pm she won’t mind

Reactions: Cjl2010
Guys act like we should we go fishing

Place someone on the shore, all day every day, when you see a fish, shoot it,

How long do you suspect it will take to shoot all the fish, and what would the ad for fishing volunteers read like ?

Wanted: patient loser with no social or family life needed to chase Chinese Infiltrators across internet, also to act as a digital fence line for popular website - long hours, no pay, and zero respect - apply inside