• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is how long it takes me to load 100 rounds

AtOne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Kitsap,Wa.
I was getting ready to load up 200 rounds for the Findlay Cup last week and decided I'd keep track of how long it took from start to finish for two separate batches of 100 .308 rounds.

I included time for setting up and cleaning up after each 100 rounds and averaged them to get a final time.
I didn't include any time for tumblers running as I'm busy doing other things during that time anyways.

Here's the breakdown on 100 once fired pieces of brass.

5 Min. Punch primers ( Hornady Progressive )
5 Min. Set up and start Stainless steel media tumbling ( 2 1/2 hour run time not included )
9 Min. Remove brass from tumbler, separate media and put on drying rack.
15 Min. Re size cases
4 Min. Put in corn cob tumbler and separate after tumble ( 30 min. run time not included )
15 Min. De burr flash holes and uniform primer pockets ( Lyman Xpress )
10 Min. Trim,chamfer and De burr ( Giruard trimmer )
14 Min. Prime cases ( Hornady Progressive )
57 Min. Dispense powder and funnel into cases ( Charge Master )
28 Min. Seat bullets ( Single stage Hornady )

So for me it takes about 2.7 hours per 100 rounds or 1.62 Min. a bullet.

For me its enjoyable to reload so the time it takes really doesn't bother me, but I thought it might give some new guys an idea of how long each stage might take, That and it may give someone a better idea if its worth buying a Giraud
wink.gif

Re: This is how long it takes me to load 100 rounds

yeah i hate prepping brass, just think when i started out reloading i used the hand tools for everything like clean primer pockets, debur and chamfer. Then i got to thinking and relized that they made a prep station and that was in the mail within 10 min when i found it. some times i don't mind reloading when its 10 to 20 rounds but when i have to reload a 100 for matches then thats gets to be a little much.

When I started reloading I did not care how long it took to prep the brass when the only rifle cartridge I was reloading for was 30-06. After all it was not a race and I only shot about 40 rounds per outing and I only get to a rifle range about once every month or so. Now that I have started to collect and prep .223 brass for reloading I can see a definite benefit in having a dedicated prep station for the brass. I did not time it, but it took a really long time to prep 200 pieces of 223 brass using the Lee hand trimmer attached to a cordless drill and a Lyman chamfer / deburring tool. Interesting info thanks for posting.

Your times seem very similar to what it takes me, and like you, it's an enjoyable couple of hours.

It always makes me chuckle when I plow through 100 rounds in my AR in about .001 of the time it took me to load them!

This week I've been loading 300 rounds in preparation for a training school this weekend. Have single stage lee and lee balance beam setup, use drill for trimming, and hand tools for case prep and priming. I'd say overall its gonna take me 8 hours give or take 30min + sonic cleaning/dry time.

I'm like a machine with that lee balance, but man its finicky, especially with varget and having to measure each throw. Trying to decide if I should switch to better measuring powder or get a better scale and maybe auto trickle. But seeing your results makes me feel like I'm doing well. Thanks for posting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EMorr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">............... but it took a really long time to prep 200 pieces of 223 brass using the Lee hand trimmer attached to a cordless drill and a Lyman chamfer / deburring tool. Interesting info thanks for posting. </div></div>

Yeah, I used to do them with the Lee trimmer by hand. Blisters.

If you haven't got the universal chuck by Lee to replace the lock stud, you should get it if you plan to keep doing it this way. It doesn't work perfectly, but it speeds things up a lot.

Most of my brass work is for when I go on the annual coyote/varmint hunt. I try to bring a few hundred rounds of .223, which I load from mixed headstamp that I bought from snarch, I think. Trimming definitely isn't fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you haven't got the universal chuck by Lee to replace the lock stud, you should get it if you plan to keep doing it this way. It doesn't work perfectly, but it speeds things up a lot.
</div></div>

Yeah I had been trimming the 30-06 cases by hand but after about 50 of .223 it was time to break out the power tools and then I had one that came loose from the case holder and gave me quite the pucker moment. I will definitely look into that universal chuck to replace the lock stud I am using now. Thanks.

I charged and seated 200 rounds in 1 hour using a single stage press and a Gen 2 Prometheus.

This example is why I have a giraud trimmer and a Prometheus on order. I run 2 charge masters now....my family time is worth much more to me.

It not that bad unless you wait til the night before to load 100+ rounds for the next days match
laugh.gif

This 5 shot group was shot with twice fired RWS brass which I had cleaned the primer pockets and chamfered the necks only at the start. 45gr Varget powder thrown from a Harrell. No scales for me. Takes 5 minutes to charge 100 rounds.

8728c6e7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It not that bad unless you wait til the night before to load 100+ rounds for the next days match
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Two nights before for me lol.

Its good everyone is giving their equipment options and times as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was getting ready to load up 200 rounds for the Findlay Cup last week and decided I'd keep track of how long it took from start to finish for two separate batches of 100 .308 rounds.

I included time for setting up and cleaning up after each 100 rounds and averaged them to get a final time.
I didn't include any time for tumblers running as I'm busy doing other things during that time anyways.

Here's the breakdown on 100 once fired pieces of brass.

5 Min. Punch primers ( Hornady Progressive )
5 Min. Set up and start Stainless steel media tumbling ( 2 1/2 hour run time not included )
9 Min. Remove brass from tumbler, separate media and put on drying rack.
15 Min. Re size cases
4 Min. Put in corn cob tumbler and separate after tumble ( 30 min. run time not included )
15 Min. De burr flash holes and uniform primer pockets ( Lyman Xpress )
10 Min. Trim,chamfer and De burr ( Giruard trimmer )
14 Min. Prime cases ( Hornady Progressive )
57 Min. Dispense powder and funnel into cases ( Charge Master )
28 Min. Seat bullets ( Single stage Hornady )

So for me it takes about 2.7 hours per 100 rounds or 1.62 Min. a bullet.

For me its enjoyable to reload so the time it takes really doesn't bother me, but I thought it might give some new guys an idea of how long each stage might take, That and it may give someone a better idea if its worth buying a Giraud
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'll clean 200 dirty cases in my Dillon CV-500, with walnut and polish, for an hour. 15 minutes to spin them in the RCBS media separator, check that they're empty, placing them in 4x50ct boxes and putting the media and tumbler away.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Total: 1:15/75 minutes.</span>

If I only have to neck size, I'll forego lubing them and neck size, deprime and then prime them on my Dillon 550b. Say 6 per minute. I'll have to also load up two primer tubes via my Lee flip tray, as well. So say 35 minutes plus 10 minutes for the primers.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Total: 0:45/45 minutes.</span>

If I have to lube/remove lube with Imperial, add another hour for 200 cases, to be safe.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Total: 1:00/60 minutes.</span>

I'm not a trimming fanatic, but I can trim 8-10 cases a minute with my Lyman Universal with cordless drill, but I'm going to need a break, or three, along the way and a battery swap.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Total: 0:30-0:35/30-35 minutes for 200 cases.</span>

Now, to campher and debur on my RCBS TrimMate, 3 per minute, so there goes the neighborhood. Like trimming, I'll need a couple of breaks to shake off the pain!

<span style="color: #3333FF">Total: 1:10/70 minutes for 200 cases.</span>

Charging cases with my ChargeMaster 1500 takes me 40 seconds to 50 seconds, for about 46grs, letting things settle and dealing with over/under throws.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Total: 2:15-2:47/135-167 minutes for 200 cases.</span>

Seating bullets goes fast, maybe 6-8 a minute.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Total: 0:25-0:35/25-35 minutes for 200.</span>

Conservative Grand total for 200 rounds:

<span style="color: #3333FF">4:40 hours to 8:10 hours.</span>

Chris

My times are a little longer if Im prepping match ammo. I have a two stage sizing process, so double the time you guys would have listed down.

I also anneal cases so thats an extra 25 minutes from 100 cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotch egg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This 5 shot group was shot with twice fired RWS brass which I had cleaned the primer pockets and chamfered the necks only at the start. 45gr Varget powder thrown from a Harrell. No scales for me. Takes 5 minutes to charge 100 rounds.

8728c6e7.jpg

</div></div>

Thats all fine and dandy for 100yd rounds, your not going to get single digit SD\ES from throwing charges!

i know benchresters who do
its not a perfect thrower but alot better than my rcbs
that has to weighed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This example is why I have a giraud trimmer and a Prometheus on order. I run 2 charge masters now....my family time is worth much more to me. </div></div>

What is the wait for a Prometheus, and how do you go about ordering one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BreakBad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This week I've been loading 300 rounds in preparation for a training school this weekend. Have single stage lee and lee balance beam setup, use drill for trimming, and hand tools for case prep and priming. I'd say overall its gonna take me 8 hours give or take 30min + sonic cleaning/dry time.

I'm like a machine with that lee balance, but man its finicky, especially with varget and having to measure each throw. Trying to decide if I should switch to better measuring powder or get a better scale and maybe auto trickle. But seeing your results makes me feel like I'm doing well. Thanks for posting.

</div></div>

I started with a Lee thrower and Varget and encountered the same problem. I upgraded to a Lyman DPS, and then a Harrel thrower. None can deal with stick powder well enough for my taste. The Harrel will throw flake or ball without a problem. I use TAC for my .223 and .308 loads now.

For my 6.5x47L match loads:
It takes me about 5 minutes to load the tumbler, unload it and seperate the media.
Hornady one shot the cases in a box, shake them around, about 1.5 minutes.
Load primer tube,~2 minutes.
Size, prime, throw 38.5 grains R-15, seat bullet in about 8 seconds X100 about 14-15 minutes on my Dillon 550.
Wipe lube off cases and put in boxes,~5 minutes.
Total time for 100: 28-30 minutes.
65x47L079group.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARMED-PILOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This example is why I have a giraud trimmer and a Prometheus on order. I run 2 charge masters now....my family time is worth much more to me. </div></div>

What is the wait for a Prometheus, and how do you go about ordering one? </div></div>

The wait is long but well worth it, Brand Cole 425-239-9100

My method got me third place at the national snap and sharpshooter comp held at the national shooting centre Bisley.

It certainly cuts the mustard. I will also be attending the 14th annual police sniper comp in the Czech republic in May shooting this load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I charged and seated 200 rounds in 1 hour using a single stage press and a Gen 2 Prometheus. </div></div>

Wow. I knew those things were fast, but thats even more so than I thought.

I was tickled $hitless when I found that by throwing charges a few tenths light to the pan for my Sartorius GD503 and trickling with an Omega 2-speed trickler I could do 50 charges in just under 30 minutes.

Previously I had used the Chargemaster (with various speed-up mods) to dispense one charge while I hand-trickled another one to final weight on an Accu-Lab VIC 123 (and later the GD503)... usually there was a little delay waiting on the Chargemaster even with the mods, so I was able to seat most of the bullets as well as trickle, but still it took about 60-65 minutes per 50 rounds. This was with 47-48gn of N150, which does *not* have the most consistent kernel size/weight, a fact that slowed things down considerably.

Too bad a Prometheus isn't in the cards for the forseeable future...

Recently I was able to run three different time trials. 50 rounds of powder with 1) Pact dispenser and scale, 2) RCBS Uniflow, Omega and 505 scale 3) RCBS Uniflow, RCBS trickler and 505. I was more suprised to find out they were within 5 minutes of each other than by any other result. Ammo was equal, 24 grains of Varget, and performed the same. The Pact was about 30 minutes, the Omega about 33, and the RCBS trickler about 35, the Uniflow was dropping between 23.5 and 23.7 grains fairly consistantly.

A Promethius and Giraud sound like two good purchases. (Refer to the current "Does reloading save you money?" thread.)

Jim nice groups especially with progressive loading.
I'm sure having that killer range in your backyard helps too
wink.gif

I've long maintained that JtP is the anti-Christ of precision reloading
smile.gif

Jim, that doesn't look like the groups your gun was shooting last week when we were over @ the Findlay Range...
wink.gif

Besides... I thought you'd finally started weighing charges... thought you got a Chargemaster?