• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is why I dont buy OAKLEYS!

jpmuscle

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2008
Why bother dropping serious $$$$ when stuff can be had for less.

I considered dropping the coin for a set of crosshair 2.0s but 150$ kinda hurts so I went back to good ole [url="http://www.safetyglassesusa.com"]www.safetyglassesusa.com[/url] :judge: Ordered late monday night and showed up early this afternoon.

Grabbed a pair of PELTOR LE300s

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/40176.html

url]

shown here (crappy pics)

Over really nice glasses and for 22 bucks im not going to cry if they get dropped or broken. Next order I place ill get a set of the aluminum LE100s

DSC03253.jpg

DSC03254.jpg

Grabbed a couple pair of UVex Tomcats as well. Mirror and smoke lense finish. And these are 10bucks or less. Plus their all ANSI Impact rated! cant beat that. I dont think the oakleys are lol

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/tosimile.html

url]

url]

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

Im gonna stock up on these next order. I really like them. Pretty comfortable. ALuminum Framed, and pretty good clarity for what they are.

Now I just need to find a set of Classic Aviator style safety glasses and Im all set.
wink.gif

Yall can keep your Oakleys!
cool.gif

Re: This is why I dont buy OAKLEYS!

OK, I will... of course mine are presciption...

Look at ESS also. Decent pricing and a great product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not rated? Mine are. They have to be to be allowed to be worn in country

You should have checked out www.usstandardissue.com </div></div>

I was referring to the regular run of the mill glasses in general. obviously the Mil/leo glasses are.

Are the cheap glasses I posted equivalent to the higher end stuff? nope not by a long shot but their suitable for kicking around day to day.

fwiw I was taking a shot at the die hard oakley crowd that spends 300$ in glasses because they "Look" cool but serve no purpose otherwise

Oakleys have superior lenses. I'll keep yo can keep those funky things.

Never had Oakleys.
I'm just a cheap bastard about some things and never would come off the hip for a pair. Oh, I've looked at them hard but I just couldn't do it.
That said, I don't have a single problem with anyone who does buy them. Even if the only reason is to "look cool". It's their money.

I have two pairs. They are impact rated (read the description for the lenses they offer). I bought one pair that they used to sell as a shooting set. They came with several different lenses that are useful in different light (clear lenses for indoor use or orange for shooting sporting clays). I bought the new pair as regular sun glasses because I was sick of expensive sunglasses having shitty uv protection and being uncomfortable. Now, when it is sunny outside I will usually just use my everyday sunglasses. If it isn't bright I still have the other pair that are 5 or 6 years old and have other lenses that can be switched out in seconds. The only reason I don't run glasses in the price range that you referenced is because I haven't found any that give me the same level of comfort and clarity. I am personally willing to pay a little more for something that I am planning on using for a long time if it gives me additional comfort. Plus, you can design your own glasses in the Oakley custom shop so that you get exactly what you want.

Hope you enjoy your new find.

edit to add: from their site on a lense that is on a normal pair of $100 glasses "PLUTONITE® lens material passes ANSI Industrial Standard Z87.1 for optical clarity, high mass and high velocity impact"

Optical clarity, same reason people buy 3k s&b optics. I have 5 pair of oakley glasses and they will last me a life time just like a nice scope or nice watch.

Why spend 5k on a Rolex when a 50 wallyworld will keep time to? I buy nice things, I take care of my nice things, they will last a life time.

Cheap sunglasses I find give me headaches due to stupid plastic lenses honestly so I wear ones that don't strain my eyes and fit well just as was mentioned before. Also like anything, buy once cry once. I was constantly breaking cheap sunglasses either dropping them, sitting on them, or having them just fall apart. You can bet I don't sit on my oakleys. So by the time I would replace several cheap pair I would have been able to buy a nice set of oakleys anyways.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus their all ANSI Impact rated! cant beat that. I dont think the oakleys are lol</div></div>

Every set of Oakleys I have owned were ANSI rated.

I have ESS, Oakley and Revision. All make excellent eyepro. My current favorite for duty wear are my Revision Hellfly Photochromic.

All Oakleys are ANSI rated. Theyre the only things I wear. If you get an Oakley SI account setup (you have to be Mil/LE), everything is substantially cheaper.

I had a pair of oakleys that I bought for 200. A couple months later they cracked and I replaced them at 50% of the price. 3/4 a year later I was walking out of an elevator when a lens literally popped out, rolled and went straight down the crack. Less than 2 years and $300 dollars later I have a piece of plastic with one lens. Now I buy $10 dollar glasses from the mall, 3 pairs at a time. I have a pair in each of my cars and one at home, so it's conveniently everywhere I am. When they break or life happens, I replace them without thinking! Couldn't be happier with them.

Don't get me wrong, I like nice things but in my eyes some things are actually valuable whole others overpriced junk. My watch doesn't have regular mineral glass but is rather sapphire crystal and and the band is stainless steal. All the scratches on it can be buffed out" and the "expensive" glass/coating on it serves its purpose, I have accidentally dragged and hit the lens against concrete and to this day it's mark free and shines brilliantly.... Try to do that with a cheap watches glass or your "nice" sunglasses for that matter. You cannot compare that to a plastic piece of crap,that sells for $300 only because that's what people will pay that for coolness, there's no worksmanshp. That's why my watch will always be worth it's price or more, but used oakleys are nothing more than someone's old sunglasses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ESS is now owned by Oakley, FWIW.
</div></div>

Have been for a while but a different product line and less expensive.

I bought a pair of Oakley Half Jackets and loved them. I just buy a new set of lenses, if they get scratched. The lenses aren't that expensive to replace.

I will stick with my Oakley's. They have saved my eye sight more than once overseas.

Just like a nice scope, your eyes will appreciate good glass if you are wearing them for a while. You will end up with less eye fatigue with Oakleys.

you can now get ESS through the standard issue website. i love my half jackets for shooting glasses an my m frames for eyepro on the job.

You get what you pay for. My eyes are worth my 500 for sunglasses and 300 for eye glasses and then some. All prescription. However, I wear these to protect my eyes. I would spend more if there was a better option that covered all of my needs and wants. If your vision is worth only 22 bucks you may want to reexamine your priorities. This reminds me of a few coworkers. They wear a pistol at work but no vest. If you are going to wear something to protect yourself, why not the complete package. Good luck with the OTHER type. I know why I buy oakley.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputy Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You get what you pay for. My eyes are worth my 500 for sunglasses and 300 for eye glasses and then some. All prescription. However, I wear these to protect my eyes. I would spend more if there was a better option that covered all of my needs and wants. If your vision is worth only 22 bucks you may want to reexamine your priorities. This reminds me of a few coworkers. They wear a pistol at work but no vest. If you are going to wear something to protect yourself, why not the complete package. Good luck with the OTHER type. I know why I buy oakley. </div></div>

Im not sure where I stated these are a suitable alternative to the higher end eye pro in a given environment where quality protection is a necessity. Actually I never made that claim. So yea.

For daily wear im not seeing a issue here..

Your post starts:

Why bother dropping serious $$$$ when stuff can be had for less.

You made that comparison. I imagine that I would prefer to protect my eyes if I am going to spend any money. You are right I wear mine for a specific environmental factor. In my parts we call it the sun. The arguement you make is like calling a nightforce overpriced because NcStar has a parallax adj too. Your comparing apples to to laminate counter tops.

Oakley's are worth the money. My polarized gascan S's got ran over by the front axle of my 8000lbs superduty on asphalt after falling out of the truck and all that happened was the arms came off which they popped right back in. After the I was shooting steel closer than I should have been and the right lense took a direct center impact ricocet of a 230gr FMJ and all it did was take the coating off.

This is why I DO buy Oakley's. I'd like to see those glasses get run over by a truck then take a ricocet.

Here's a picture of my Gascan's I just snapped with my phone. The big scratch on the lense to the right of the reflection of my hand is where a 230gr FMJ ricoceted back from about 5 yards that hit hard enough it knockrf the glasses off my head.

26bba936.jpg

If anyone needs a discount code for ESS drop me a line!!!

I wear regular Oakley sunglasses, and absolutely love them. I've had them for for over six years and they don't have a scratch yet. I've tried cheaper sunglasses, but my eyes are very light sensitive and they didn't cut it.

I also wear Oakley military safety glasses at work and when shooting. They saved my eyes several times in Iraq from rocks & dirt from IEDs and I will continue to trust them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a picture of my Gascan's I just snapped with my phone. The big scratch on the lense to the right of the reflection of my hand is where a 230gr FMJ ricoceted back from about 5 yards that hit hard enough it knockrf the glasses off my head.

26bba936.jpg
</div></div> Man that was close good thing you had those . l use good glasses myself incase that happens.

Fortunately, with safety glasses, it's quite easy to cut through the hype and learn the facts. What you will find is that you are mostly paying for the name and style with Oakley glasses.

Their are several impact ratings that apply to shooting glasses.

ANSI Z87.1:
This is a decades old standard and involves dropping a heavy pointed object on the lense. This is the rating that Oakley says it meets with its PREMIUM glasses....aka expensive.
http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/impact-protection
Guess What: I can buy a $5 set of Walmart glasses that have a better impact rating than Z87.1...see below.

ANSI Z87.1-2003,Z87+: This is an update to the antiquated Z87.1 standard and glasses meeting this standard offer better protection than Z87.1
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ansiz8712003.html
Those $5 Walmart glasses meet this standard w/ Z87+ protection and therefore are certified to a higher level of protection than expensive Oakleys.

Military Standard 662E & MIL-V-43511C: This is an even higher level of protection (about 7x the impact energy of a standard ANSI Z87.1 test) and what shooters should be looking at if they are serious about eye protection: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/mil.html
Many Wiley, ESS, Smith, and other glasses meet the Mil 662 standard and cost far less than an Oakley. For example, here is a set of $5 glasses meeting the Army's mil-spec standard: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/venture2-ballistic.html

So, buy the expensive oakleys if you want, but for $5 you can get far better PROTECTION. I prefer to buy my shooting glasses by the dozen, use them for a few months and throw them away when they get scratches. Don't make the mistake of equating value with how much an item costs: do your homework instead.

Your 5 dollar pair still look like shit and could not be worn everyday all day. This discussion, as I understood it, covers looks and protection. As someone who wears all day everyday, I can not wear those safety glasses even with contacts. The nose and arms are irritating. You may pay a portion for the name but I have something I can use daily. It's about preference but for me it is a quality product that covers numerous aspects, including looking good. Quality, comfort, good looks and safety from impacts and UVA rays. 5 bucks will not buy that.

I had a pair of Oakley's and loved the glasses. I lost them and don't have a single clue where they are now. I shoot with my ESS set and they work great also but the weight of the oakleys is by far the best feeling pair I have owned.

Those cheap glasses look exactly like what they are, cheap crap.
Oakleys not only look good, but can be had polarized or non-polarized, with or without RX lenses.
Some of the basic SI models can be had for about $100. $150 if they are polarized. Yes the more elaborate models will cost more, but you can find good deals if you shop around.
ESS makes decent affordable glasses as well.
I don't think $100-150 is a ton to spend to protect your eyes. Unless you are soemone who constantly breaks or loses things.

bought my first pair of oakleys 10 yrs ago and have tried many other high end shades but i go back to oakley everytime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fortunately, with safety glasses, it's quite easy to cut through the hype and learn the facts. What you will find is that you are mostly paying for the name and style with Oakley glasses.

a few months and throw them away when they get scratches. Don't make the mistake of equating value with how much an item costs: do your homework instead. </div></div>
Its always funny seeing the placebo effect from people.... Everybody was real about 'I can't put a price on protecting my eyes', when that has nothing to do with it.

As for quality, maybe you guys are talking about different oakleys than me( your not), flimsy plastic isn't really whats considered quality in my book. I wont even go into the 'it looks cool' aspect of things, but maybe you should ask somoene of the opposite sex thats outside of your bubble and will tell you the truth... I guess the nerds in my HS also thought wearing matrix/neo style trench coats was cool, it must be, they saw it on tv.

Anyways, didn't mean to step on everyone's toes. Its just a little funny seeing people get really defensive of their position. As always there isn't a 'right' and what i say is strictly my opinion of the matter. As long as your not paying with my $$, you can buy whatever you want!

Cheap glasses can have enough lenses distortion to effect vision. If using cheap ones and having point of aim point of impact issues try another pair. While not really prevalent it does show up.

I use the helmet analogy here. Have a $50 head wear a $50 helmet.

Wear only Oakleys in country. Saved my eyeballs from dirt / debris flying. ESS issue glasses can suck a fat one. (Now ESS is Owned by Oakley though and the New Crossbows are getting issued) They ride on my cheeks, fog like a mofo, and wont' stay on my face even with the ear tabs bent. Scratches tend to come faster from ESS as well, though could be subjective. Oakleys seem to have a harder surface coating they wipe down easier, and the Rubber stays grippy even when coated in sweat and other crap.

That said the only downside of Oakleys is every Marine has M frames, Gas Cans, or M frame 2.0's.... I own Radar Paths, which are the bomb shit. Keep polarized lenses away from 1st sgts though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputy Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality, comfort, good looks and safety from impacts and UVA rays. 5 bucks will not buy that. </div></div>

Bingo. Though I don't really care about the looks the comfort and protection are why I buy. I can wear Oakley's all day long without putting marks on my nose and ears. They also always fit PERFECT, no crooked crap like the cheapo's. Sure you can get a cheap set of glasses that will give you impact protection but thats all your going to get. I had a hard time spending the cash for Oakley's the first time being how hard I am on stuff and how I lose it but I'll never buy anything else now. They're second to NONE.

You guys can keep your cheap crap, I'll keep my eyesight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fortunately, with safety glasses, it's quite easy to cut through the hype and learn the facts. What you will find is that you are mostly paying for the name and style with Oakley glasses.

Their are several impact ratings that apply to shooting glasses.

ANSI Z87.1:
This is a decades old standard and involves dropping a heavy pointed object on the lense. This is the rating that Oakley says it meets with its PREMIUM glasses....aka expensive.
http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/impact-protection
</div></div>

I suppose premium and expensive are subjective terms. You can buy a $100 pair of sunglasses from Oakley with that rating. You can also buy much more expensive glasses from them with that rating, but their basic 'sports' glasses have the rating you are referencing.

Thanks, but I like the quality of my oakley's just fine. Think I paid 50 bucks or so for the pair i've worn the last couple years. Yep, just fine in my book.

If you want to look through a cheap ass $10 plastic lens all day have at.

Just not for me.

I got hit in the face with a bat recently I was wearing my oakleys. The bat destroyed my oakleys but it saved my right eye. you can call me an oakleys fan.

I live in Oakleys, if it's day time you can bet that I have a pair of Oakleys on my head, over my eyes or fliped over on the back of my head. They feel great, they look great. All my Oakleys have lasted a long time. Over the years I'm sure my Oakley have saved my eyes many times.
Heck, I'll most likly Die with Oakleys on head.lol

I've tried many many different kinds/styles of shades over the years. I'm a Oakley guy 100%. I have very sensitive eyes and wearing contacts makes it even worse. I have 4 pairs of Oakleys and just ordered another pair from the custom shop. The Nano Wires are my all time favorites. They stopped making them, but I have 2 pair so I'm ok. I also have the Crosshairs as well. I just ordered a set of Flak Jackets with the persimmion lenses just for shooting. All my glasses all have the Polarized lenes. I'll never go back to regular lenses. My Crosshairs saved my left eye last month. I was opening a gate and a loose piece of barb wire got sling-shotted right into my eye. Had I not had my glasses on, I would have lost my eye. It scratched my lens, but I ordered a new set.....it's worth it. I have a pair of square wires I've had for almost 4yrs.....just as good as the day I bought them.

Im required to wear eye protection at work, I also ride harleys, and I shoot.....so I have glasses on pretty much everyday. It's always Oakleys.

I buy Oakley because I want to take care of my eyes and vision. I am fortunate enough to have 20:13 vision at age 28. My good eyesight is a big advantage when I am hunting, fishing, outdoors, at sporting event (Ohio State games), driving and a lot more. I feel lucky to have such good natural eyesight and look at it as protecting that asset. I tried cheap sunglasses after my other set of Oakleys got stolen, its not the same and I went right back.

Sunglasses are a lot like optics. Sure, a cheap scope will do, but it will not compare to something such as a S&B scope.

Fit and finish, and optical clarity will be much better on the expensive pair of shades. I am willing to pay more for a set of sunglasses to get the great optical clarity that comes with it.

For shooting, I currently wear ESS glasses. They are good, but the optical clarity of those are no where near that of my Ray-Bans. The Ray-Bans I have don't offer the protection the ESS glasses do, so I don't wear them while shooting.

I will be picking up a pair of Oakley shooting glasses in the near future.

I don't like the Oakley name or the "image" that comes with them.

That being said, after my broke my previous polarized glasses, I went to Sunglass Hut and told them I wanted something:

1. Polarized
2. Z87 rated
3. Tough

The salesman took a demo pair of Oakley Flak Jackets, threw them on the floor, and stomped on them. He picked up the pieces and snapped everything back together. They are 100% plastic. No screws to back out or shear off. The lenses aren't nearly as good as the lenses on the Serengeti's I had before, but I am confident the Oakley's will last a long time and when the lenses are scratched enough, I can order a new pair and pop them right in.

Oakley is kinda the best plastic eyewear out there and there is a reason why they are still #1 sold plastic eyewear.

ESS crossbow model are really good against fogging. (I didn't know oakley bought them)

Wiley-x has a huge problems with fogging...

But if you want one of the greatest real glass eyewear (not plastic as above) then i would recommand Serengeti eyewear (http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/technology/default.aspx )... unfortunatly they are not ANSI rated and you can't compare the clarity with these to oakley. Real glass eyewear gives you a better view then plastic lens.

If you want a all around eyewear then you you can't go wrong with Oakleys.

As many already mentioned before me, your eyes is worth it, because your sights are priceless and once you loose it then there is no 2nd round.

stay frosty

I've been buying Boutons for quite a while. They're so inexpensive I usually buy 5 pairs at a time. They're Z87.1-2003 rated and I figure they're strong enough for me. In fact, I've been meaning to post a thread directed towards anyone looking for a tough pair of glasses. I do a lot of road cycling and have had bugs hit the glasses and so they've saved my eyes a few times. Another good thing is that they cover a lot of the area around the eye as well. And they're a much darker tint that other glasses which for me, with light sensitive blue eyes, is a plus.

Thanks to some of you who are MIL or LE and who are keeping me safe, my biggest concern when purchasing sunglasses is not whether they'll protect me from IED blasts or bullet fragments but whether they'll break when I sit on them in my car. Boutons have always passed the "crush" test.

Having looked at that safetyglassesusa.com site mentioned above, I note that a $5 pair of glasses, the Venture 2 Ballistics will meet both the Z87 and Mil standards of protection. I think I'm going to give those a try, they should be more than enough for my needs.

I own 3 pairs of Oakley for various activities. Also got a sey of Revision, but I have no clue where they are as they never get used.

SI Polarized Flak Jacket for work.

Polarized Ducati Square Whisker for off duty.

SI Ballistic M frame 2.0 for shooting.

Money well spent IMO, usstandardissue.com does make it pretty darned nice.

Here's a great read-up on Oakley's and why I prefer them:
Oakley

Vision is the most important thing for a pilot - it is literally your career.

I fly in Oakley Wiskers (they were called something else when I originally bought them), and have Half Jackets for driving, running, lawn work, shooting, etc.

They aren't cheap, but they're the best lenses at the price point IMO and they are TOUGH.