• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is your Sierra Match King ...

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
This is your 6.5mm 107 grain Sierra Match King:

6_5mm-107gr-SMK-1-598x600.jpg

This is your 6.5mm 107 grain Sierra Match King having hit re-inforced steel:

6_5mm-107gr-SMK-2.jpg

6_5mm-107gr-SMK-3.jpg

Any Questions?

cool.gif

Re: This is your Sierra Match King ...

Not that it matters, but What do you figure the velocity was?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not that it matters, but What do you figure the velocity was? </div></div>

2875 - 2915 fps

Probably hardly dented the steel....being a MatchKing. I wonder why "cheap" softpoints will leave a "good" mark but the Match bullets really don't. Must have "harder" jackets and lead....

Just thinkin' out loud...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably hardly dented the steel....being a MatchKing. I wonder why "cheap" softpoints will leave a "good" mark but the Match bullets really don't. Must have "harder" jackets and lead....

Just thinkin' out loud... </div></div>

If that is the case I wonder what Scenars would do, probably similar to an FMJ. Lapua tends to use extremely hard copper.

range was approximately 237 yards.

no (major) dents in the steel compared to the mound of lead dust covering everything. Lot's 'o lead dust!

This is your 647gr 50BMG Ball versus a 1/2 steel plate at 800 meters!

bmgcore.jpg

The 142gr SMK's out of my 6.5x284 at 600 meters off a 1/2" man profile plate just disintegrate! There is nothing left but small frags of the jacket. I'm surprised that you got such a intact jacket at that velocity and at that range.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is your 647gr 50BMG Ball versus a 1/2 steel plate at 800 meters!

bmgcore.jpg

Terry </div></div>

That's B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L !!!!!!!!!!!

(I feel like the kid that came to show-and-tell with my pet turtle and then YOU show up next with a pet Kangaroo!)

This was a special find! It terminated a ground hog at 1108 yards (laser verified). The bullet was found as is minus some biological materials in the hole it was standing in!

DSCI0002-8.jpg

Terry

Nice! 6.5 140 grain Berger VLD's fold inside out when hitting dirt. I'll dig them up after shooting groups in the berm. They only go about 3-4 inches deep, and are folded inside out, more so than the SMK. It's nice when you can recover the bullet after it's been used on an animal to inspect!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably hardly dented the steel....being a MatchKing. I wonder why "cheap" softpoints will leave a "good" mark but the Match bullets really don't. Must have "harder" jackets and lead....

If that is the case I wonder what Scenars would do, probably similar to an FMJ. Lapua tends to use extremely hard copper. </div></div>

I've seen the Scenar jacket totally separate from the lead core. This was shooting at a steel plate at 650 yards. MV was probably around 2750ish FPS out of a 20" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably hardly dented the steel....being a MatchKing. I wonder why "cheap" softpoints will leave a "good" mark but the Match bullets really don't. Must have "harder" jackets and lead....

If that is the case I wonder what Scenars would do, probably similar to an FMJ. Lapua tends to use extremely hard copper. </div></div>

I've seen the Scenar jacket totally separate from the lead core. This was shooting at a steel plate at 650 yards. MV was probably around 2750ish FPS out of a 20" barrel. </div></div>

Hmm, I want to do some testing then at closer ranges with them and see if perhaps they can fragment in soft tissue. I had been "lead" to believe their jackets were too hard to allow this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably hardly dented the steel....being a MatchKing. I wonder why "cheap" softpoints will leave a "good" mark but the Match bullets really don't. Must have "harder" jackets and lead....

I've seen the Scenar jacket totally separate from the lead core. This was shooting at a steel plate at 650 yards. MV was probably around 2750ish FPS out of a 20" barrel. </div></div>

Hmm, I want to do some testing then at closer ranges with them and see if perhaps they can fragment in soft tissue. I had been "lead" to believe their jackets were too hard to allow this. </div></div>

If you mean the Sierra Match Kings....I think you'll find that "sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't"...in other words the results aren't consistent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is your 6.5mm 107 grain Sierra Match King:

6_5mm-107gr-SMK-1-598x600.jpg

This is your 6.5mm 107 grain Sierra Match King having hit re-inforced steel:

6_5mm-107gr-SMK-2.jpg

6_5mm-107gr-SMK-3.jpg

Any Questions?

cool.gif

</div></div>

I have shot a ton of 107's and other SMK's as well on steel and I have only found little tiny discs, the very end of the base if you will.They simply splatter into dust. The expanded bullet you are showing doesnt appear to be a SMK. The picture plainly shows the rifling engraved all the way down to the heel/base of the bullet. The 107 has a generous boat tail on it. I could be wrong, but the pics show me otherwise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have shot a ton of 107's and other SMK's as well on steel and I have only found little tiny discs, the very end of the base if you will.They simply splatter into dust. The expanded bullet you are showing doesnt appear to be a SMK. The picture plainly shows the rifling engraved all the way down to the heel/base of the bullet. The 107 has a generous boat tail on it. I could be wrong, but the pics show me otherwise. </div></div>

Excellent catch! I totally overlooked that myself! But how in the world did this pancake land <span style="font-weight: bold">on top of my target base stand</span> after a day alone at the range? Spooky! I really thought it was mine. Sorry for the bad info.

No problem bud! it really looks to me like a standard soft point hunting bullet, its not a berger, it has a flat base...

Steve