• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This makes no sense

Outsydlooknin75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
DulUth Jawja
Ok, so I am loading 46.8 grains of Varget in Win brass with CCI primers.

MOST of my brass is Full length sized and I show no signs of pressure with it all the way to 95 degrees.

I neck sized some the other day and shot em, same primers, same load, but simply in once fired brass out of my rifle. And looking at the primers they seem slightly flattened. Not overly flat but not as rounded as a primer out of a FL sized case.

Re: This makes no sense

I believe that's because some of the pressure is used to expand your full length sized brass to fit your chamber and thus less hits the primer. The neck-sized stuff is already there so the pressure can only affect the primer. Make sense?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Was the ammo and gun temperature the same as with full resized loads?

I find the expanding issue controversial, taking fireforming into account etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that's because some of the pressure is used to expand your full length sized brass to fit your chamber and thus less hits the primer. The neck-sized stuff is already there so the pressure can only affect the primer. Make sense?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... </div></div>
+1

were your round's sitting in full sunlight for awhile?
That'll increase the pressure's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that's because some of the pressure is used to expand your full length sized brass to fit your chamber and thus less hits the primer. The neck-sized stuff is already there so the pressure can only affect the primer. Make sense?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... </div></div>

good call exactly what I was thinking.

So you guys saying that fireforming loads should/could be hotter than after fireforming? After all, they're also conforming the brass to the chamber...

(of course there's some thoughts to be given for work hardening and seating depth)

Ok, neither ammo was out in the sun, gun temp and air temp were the same for both loads.

I didnt run either of them acrossed the chrono.

Primers were excessively flat, just slightly flat, there was no ejector swipe or sticky bolt lift, it was just that I noticed that they were slightly flat.

I am a brass whore, so I am thinking that anything that I pick up is going to be FL sized, and stuff that I KNOW I have run thru my gun Ill neck size it. Its just gonna be interesting keeping stuff separate.

Yep, usually need MORE of a charge to fireform than otherwise. As for running stout loads, why do so? They are too hard on the brass and on hot days, or something changes, you can toast brass (if thats the least you do) in a heartbeat. Only time I run full power is with Palma loads and only cause you gotta have that 155 running 2950+, otherwise, its usually at least a grain off max (what I find to be around max) for me. Then, if things differ somewhat, you got some leeway.

John