• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This poor kid...

KAman9803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
Not really. I've been reading about this all over the internets this morning and what really pisses me off is that a lot of places think the sentence is unfair because the robbers only made off with 7 cents. I was unaware that the punishment for robbery was based solely on the take.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/teen-gets-branded-felon-life-robbing-man-7-200811947.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 15-year-old from Syracuse, Anthony Stewart, was sentenced to 2 to 6 years in a juvenile detention facility by Judge William Walsh of Onandaga County for a robbery in which the teenager took a mere 7 cents.

Walsh said he issued the harsh sentence because Stewart declined to plead guilty, choosing to fight the charges. A jury found him guilty of first degree robbery.

The victim had identified Stewart and a friend as the perpetrators, Walsh said, "and yet you still denied it," the Post-Standard newspaper of Syracuse reported.

"Well, that cost you," Walsh added.

The other teenager, Skyler Ninham, 16, pleaded guilty in July and was sentenced to 1 to 4 years in prison.

Stewart and Ninham carried BB guns that looked like real pistols when they knocked a 73-year old man to the ground--Stewart punching him in the face--and took all the cash he had on him, prosecutors said. That amounted to 7 cents.

Stewart's lawyer, Laurin Haddad, had pleaded with Walsh to treat her client as a youthful offender, so that a felony conviction wouldn't remain on his permanent record.

"For 7 cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told the Post-Standard.
</div></div>

Re: This poor kid...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stewart's lawyer, Laurin Haddad, had pleaded with Walsh to treat her client as a youthful offender, so that a felony conviction wouldn't remain on his permanent record.

"For 7 cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told the Post-Standard.
</div></div>

No, the judge is labeling someone a felon who's already made themselves one. Good call on the judge's part.

I thought it sounded harsh until I read the part where he knocked over a old man and punched him in the face. Everyone makes mistakes when they are younger, but this is overboard. Maybe he will learn his lesson

Talk about an attempt at "spin" eh?

It's not a case of making one a felon for stealing 7 cents. While it IS a case of being a felon for "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">carrying BB guns that looked like real pistols when they knocked a 73-year old man to the ground--Stewart punching him in the face--and took all the cash he had on him</span></span>".

While I commend that judge, at the same time am disgusted at that lawyer. Big surprise there.

Considering they assaulted a senior citizen with weapons, it sounds like they earned the felony. This was <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">not</span></span> a youthful indiscretion.

Unfortunately, the juvenile justice system in a lot of places is a joke. It is almost a waste of time for law enforcement to even fool with it. I would like to have more judges here willing to lower the boom on punks that think they can play their age in their favor.

They are lucky the victim wasnt carrying a real pistol, stupid asses. Would have turned out a lot worse for the "misguided" youths. Glad to hear the judge is doing the right thing.

I'm sure they failed to mention both of the little bastards probably quit going to school in 6th grade, been in jail many times for weed and tagging cars as well as other things. If your big enough to beat up an old man for his money, you're big enough to go to big boy jail. See ya when you get out.

We had a kid pull the same thing up here in Buffalo, except the person the kid pulled the look alike BB gun on was an off duty Buffalo cop. As I recall, it took place at night and the cop believed it to be a loaded, operable real handgun. He shot the kid with his off duty firearm, killing him. The officer was cleared in the shooting.

Sounds reasonable given the crime. "Good boys" don't beat old men and wield guns- BB or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He got what he deserved. </div></div>

Agreed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering they assaulted a senior citizen with weapons, it sounds like they earned the felony. This was <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">not</span></span> a youthful indiscretion.</div></div>

My thoughts exactly. Most states have provisions to up the sentence when a violent crime against an elderly committed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He got what he deserved. </div></div>

Agreed. </div></div>

I completely disagree. He commited armed robbery and assault. 2 years in juvenile hall, which is like day camp, is a fucking joke of a sentence.

Also, I can't beleive that anyone would even attempt to argue that the sentence is even remotely "harsh". That kid should be thanking his lucky stars that he got off so easy and got such a minimal sentence considering the nature of the crime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He got what he deserved. </div></div>

Agreed.</div></div>
I disagree completely. They didn't get anything close to what they deserve. Armed robbery, BB guns or not, and assaulting an elderly man? I'd have hit them with everything I possibly could if I were the judge. They were lucky to get off as easy as they did, and even luckier that they weren't killed as a result of this moronic act.

Back in the day, parents were more feared than the cops. Now days it's "My son was a good boy, he ain't done nothing wrong!" My parents would of kicked my ass.