• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This should make you stop and think.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Watch how the load appears to end up in the front seat. If youre impatient skip two 2:00 minutes.

• Wow
    Reactions: Balor
    Yep. We tend to ignore Newton's first law of motion when it comes to what we put behind the seats. I'm sure that the plastic totes that I use to haul AR500 plates to the range would not contain the plate. In fact the plates would probably cut the seats in half and end up imbedded in the dash or engine compartment. Good thing that I've relocated the plates to a storage container on the property and no longer travel the Texas highways with them in the SUV.

Here's an article that is associated to the video posted:
    Are electric trucks too heavy to crash test?

crushing.gif

Makes hauling heavy things in the bed seem silly doesn’t it….

"Now for Best Dramatic Effect During A Crash Test Video this award goes to........(dramatic pause)"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: Maggot
    9500 lbs over a ton beyond the GVWR for the f150, and could be as high as 3000 lbs over weight. Little wonder they tow the vehicles. That thing was bottoming out the bump stops and would be a DOG if actually driving. Not much danger in having that load in the cab. A pickup loaded that heavy isn’t going anywhere.

This did make me stop and think. I thought, what would I put in my bed that is that heavy. With a crew cab 4x4 F150 weighing in at 5600, that would mean the weight in the bed was nearly 4000lbs. Or like 10 of grandam's pianos. It reminds go the myth busters episode where they found out stuff like cleanex boxes were to lite to hurt someone in a crash.

Then that 4000lbs was strapped to the bed sides. Surely no one out there thinks that a sheet metal pick up bed is strong enough to retain that kind of weight. You would want anchors for the straps that hooked to the frame of the pick up. In effect it would be kind of like using a tin can for the pin on your tow hitch. Or hooking your safety chains to the tail light harness, instead of the hitch.

So your telling me not to put my coffee in the center console cup holder if carrying a load.

So if I put a heavy load, and I mean really heavy...in the bed of a truck and crash into an immovable object at 40mph, the load could come up into the cab...?

2014%252F11%252F20%252F14%252FOAGF.a9429.jpg%252F1200x627.jpg

• Haha
    Reactions: BScore and Maggot
    A guy from hunting camp had his 4 wheeler come thru the cab and kill him in a crash. All the hss steel is in the pillars. The rear of the bed and cab is mild sheet metal.

9500 lbs over a ton beyond the GVWR for the f150, and could be as high as 3000 lbs over weight. Little wonder they tow the vehicles. That thing was bottoming out the bump stops and would be a DOG if actually driving. Not much danger in having that load in the cab. A pickup loaded that heavy isn’t going anywhere.
    You'd be surprised what people can do when determined. Back in the day we called it "Load her til she shits."

You'd be surprised what people can do when determined. Back in the day we called it "Load her til she shits."
    This.

Smart people typically don’t put 4000lbs in the bed of a 1/2 ton but we’ve all seen it.

Heres another, a crash comparison compilation. The one between the two Chevy's is notable. And the Chicom car against the BMW,

Reactions: Ichi
    This.

Smart people typically don’t put 4000lbs in the bed of a 1/2 ton but we’ve all seen it.
    I had a brand new Chevy one ton flatbed 4X4 for hauling building stone out of the mountains. first load I ran across the scale was just over 7 tons. :whistle: Then I replaced all the gears in the rear end that had the teeth stripped out. fortunately it was under warranty.:cool::D

Heres another, a crash comparison compilation. The one between the two Chevy's is notable. And the Chicom car against the BMW,

Old cars are death traps compared to the higher quality newish vehicles. Had a 64 as a teenager. That car would have folded all up on me.

Steering wheel would have crushed through my chest cavity and the steel dash would have finished the job...

Racing played a large role for paving the way for innovation in passenger vehicles.

Old cars are death traps compared to the higher quality newish vehicles. Had a 64 as a teenager. That car would have folded all up on me.

Steering wheel would have crushed through my chest cavity and the steel dash would have finished the job...

Racing played a large role for paving the way for innovation in passenger vehicles.
    We had a 65? Chevy Corvair. Talk about a death trap.

When I was a teenager I worked for an auto repair shop that was next door to one of the lots of the biggest tow company in NOVA. I used to walk the lot a few times a week on my lunch break because I found it interesting how cars get torn up in different types of crashes. Saw a lot of pickups with loads in the bed come in from accidents. My takeaways:

1. A bolt on headache rack or back rack isn't going to stop much more than a household appliance from coming through the window or ripping the roof right off like a soda can.
    2. The front's of truck beds are thin AF with basically no structural support.
    3. A steel cross body tool box makes a HUGE difference in keeping heavy shit from coming into the passenger compartment.
    4. If you're hauling heavy shit get a flat bed that's bolted or welded to the frame and has a fabricated headache rack.

When I was a teenager I worked for an auto repair shop that was next door to one of the lots of the biggest tow company in NOVA. I used to walk the lot a few times a week on my lunch break because I found it interesting how cars get torn up in different types of crashes. Saw a lot of pickups with loads in the bed come in from accidents. My takeaways:

1. A bolt on headache rack or back rack isn't going to stop much more than a household appliance from coming through the window or ripping the roof right off like a soda can.
    2. The front's of truck beds are thin AF with basically no structural support.
    3. A steel cross body tool box makes a HUGE difference in keeping heavy shit from coming into the passenger compartment.
    4. If you're hauling heavy shit get a flat bed that's bolted or welded to the frame and has a fabricated headache rack.
    If youre from NOVA then you must be familiar with Merchant's Tire and Auto. An on going criminal enterprise.