• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This teacher needs a beat down.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    paper-620x362.jpg

The words are written in crayon, in the haphazard bumpiness of a child’s scrawl.

“I am willing to give up some of my constitutional rights in order to be safer or more secure.”

They’re the words that Florida father Aaron Harvey was stunned to find his fourth-grade son had written, after a lesson in school about the Constitution.

Florida 4th Grader Brings Home Paper That Says, I Am Willing to Give Up Some of My Constitutional Rights in Order to Be Safer...
    Aaron Harvey’s son wrote as part of a school lesson, “I am willing to give up some of my constitutional rights in order to be safer or more secure.” TheBlaze has redacted the child’s name.

Harvey’s son attends Cedar Hills Elementary in Jacksonville, Fla. Back in January, a local attorney came in to teach the students about the Bill of Rights. But after the attorney left, fourth-grade teacher Cheryl Sabb dictated the sentence to part of the class and had them copy it down, he said.

The paper sat unnoticed in Harvey’s son’s backpack for several months until last week, when his son’s mother almost threw it away. The words caught her eye in the trash, and she showed it to Harvey, who said he was at a loss for words. He asked his son, who said Sabb had spoken the sentence out loud and told them to write it down. Harvey said he asked some of his son’s classmates and got a similar answer.

“Everybody has their opinions,” Harvey told TheBlaze. “I am strongly for proper education, for the freedom of thought so you can form your own opinion and have your own free speech in the future… [but] the education is, ‘when was the Constitution drafted, when was it ratified, why did this happen, why did we choose to do this…all these things, why did they particular choose those specific rights to be in our Bill of Rights.’”

Kandra Albury, a spokeswoman for Duvall County Public Schools, which includes Cedar Hills, told TheBlaze she didn’t know what prompted Sabb to have students write the sentence.

She said the principal had fielded one parent’s concern about the lesson in January, but it wasn’t Harvey. She said Thursday the district and principal were “checking into” what had happened.

Harvey, rather than asking the school for answers when he found the paper, wrote his concerns in an email, which was then forwarded to TheBlaze. He said he did it that way because he wasn’t sure he would have gotten a straightforward answer if he asked the school directly.

He said he just wants to see a “proper, unbiased education” system and doesn’t want any kind of religion or politics brought into the classroom.

“I believe in our Constitution. I am a veteran, I served for six-and-a-half years proudly and I served to protect our rights,” he said. “Now whenever I have someone coming in and trying to pollute my child’s mind with biased opinions…there’s no education in that.”

​Update, 11:36 a.m.:​ Harvey told TheBlaze he received a call from the school Friday morning that featured the principal, guidance counselor and Sabb. He was told the sentence came during the lesson with the lawyer, that Sabb had nothing to do with it, and that Harvey’s son “wrote it on his own free will.”

Harvey said he had spoken to a girl in the class who specifically said Sabb handpicked students to write the sentence.

“All the children are pointing at the teacher,” Harvey said Friday. “They [the school] told me that my son wrote that on his own free will — there’s now way he knew how to write that on his own free will. He likes to use some big words to flourish — [but] if he was going to put together a sentence that political I’m sure it would be more jumbled than a nice sentence like that.”

4th Grade and still writing with crayon? hmmm...

How many kids does that type of thing go unnoticed at home? Too many Im afraid. I feel the best time to explain these types of things is when my 8 yo little girl is helping me reload.

Ryan

Attachments

• Anna Raging Bull.jpg
      Anna Raging Bull.jpg
      103 KB · Views: 21
    The local attorney needs to be out of a job along with the teacher. The teacher is supposed to be educating the children, not pushing their own agenda. The teacher is supposed to protect those children, obviously she FAILED miserably.Shame on that school administration for trying to cover it up!

My kids attend public schools. We are blessed to live in a rural community where the schools and class sizes are small and have yet to be completley corrupted by the current educational trends of the majority of the country. I attended an awards assembly last week for my 6yo, he recieved his 75pt accelerated reader trophy, and I am always pleased when the assemblies start with the Pledge of Allegiance and singing of our National Anthem.

It is imperative that we stay involved and informed of what and how our kids are doing in school. A failure to stay informed will result in indoctrination of our kids into the belief and social system that is at the heart of many of todays issues and problems.

To find out if the teacher/principle et al are lying sacks of shit or not, I like to find out what else a 4th grader can write "using his free will" without getting into trouble. I'm thinking about insulting members of large religions/ ethic groups/ gay rights addicts/ etc.. My guess is those kind of "free will" statements/written statements would be "grounds" for kicking little johnny out of school, and a call to mom and dad ASAP. If not, I stand corrected.

This person is the enemy. For me, the line in this country has been drawn over the last few years and is increasingly growing out of control.

This is not critical thinking, this is not questioning authority, this is not a healthy debate over opposing views. This kind of thinking and these kind of people need to meet the same reactions that anyone with communistic ideals was subjected to in the 60s.