• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Thomas E. Ricks, "Churchill & Orwell"

Good watch Steve, thanks for posting.

Ricks is always a good read. I read his book on the "Generals" many years ago. He adores Marshall but Marshall has his faults, he scapegoated the Admiral and General in charge of Pearl Harbor during the attack when these general officers tried several times to fortify the defenses by asking Washington for more resources in vain. In fact, Washington (including Marshall and Roosevelt) kept Pearl Harbor commanders from the knowledge that they had broken the Japanese diplomatic code. They told McArthur and yet McArthur failed to properly prepare the Philippine's defense and yet he wasn't canned because he was a friend of the President.

Ricks is always a good read. I read his book on the "Generals" many years ago. He adores Marshall but Marshall has his faults, he scapegoated the Admiral and General in charge of Pearl Harbor during the attack when these general officers tried several times to fortify the defenses by asking Washington for more resources in vain. In fact, Washington (including Marshall and Roosevelt) kept Pearl Harbor commanders from the knowledge that they had broken the Japanese diplomatic code. They told McArthur and yet McArthur failed to properly prepare the Philippine's defense and yet he wasn't canned because he was a friend of the President.
Supposedly they had pretty certain knowledge an attack on Pearl was imminent, just not exactly when. Thats why all the carriers were out to sea. Which begs asking another question, did they really want us in that war to bolster the depression economy.

Supposedly they had pretty certain knowledge an attack on Pearl was imminent, just not exactly when. Thats why all the carriers were out to sea. Which begs asking another question, did they really want us in that war to bolster the depression economy.
The carriers were out to sea to resupply Wake and Midway (I think that were the carriers' destinations) with aircraft. It is interesting that the orders for this resupply came from Washington and not the Pearl Harbor admiral.

Reactions: Maggot
https://www.amazon.com/Reassessing-...s=pearl+harbor&qid=1632166747&s=books&sr=1-19
Haven't read the book but I am looking for another book that exonerates Kimmel and Short which was suggested by a poster on this site. Great book BTW. I forgot to mention the McArthur got the Medal of Honor for abandoning the Philippines !!!

P.S. Found the book. It's great read on the months before the attack and the machinations of the military and politicians in Wash DC and Japanese :
https://www.amazon.com/A-Matter-of-...Matter+of+Honor&qid=1632167771&s=books&sr=1-1

Last edited: