• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Thompson Encore

krink85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
Sierra Vista AZ
I searched and only found stuff only pertaining to the warlord so here is my question(s).

I have been looking for the right rifle for my wife. I am set on a .243 for her as she would like to do deer sized game hunting as well as some varmint hunting. I had planned on a bolt gun for but sitting here I remembered my dad has a thompson. I have shot it and cleand it and like the feel of the rifle. The only shooting I have done is black power though. Is this a good base system for a new shooter? I like the idea of single shot as in you only have one make it count. Is this system capiable of making a 600 yard shot and is it repeatable being a break action? I also just saw it has rimfire barrels for it so it would be a perfect trainer rather than having to buy a whole new gun (not that that woulde bad). Sois anyone running one and what is your feed back? Thanks

Re: Thompson Encore

I have an Encore which is presently setup for black powder. It is plenty accurate for where I hunt, which would be shots at generally 100 yards or less.

I wouldn't worry much about shooting the factory barrels chambered in 243 out to 300 or so, but 600 yards on the factory barrels I've shot would probably not make you happy.

I'd prefer a nice bolt action with a 1 piece stock for that type of shooting.

One thing about a break action is that to reload you pretty much have to disrupt the whole postion of the rifle/shooter. I wouldn't like it at all for a long range setup.

The one I use about once a year has never failed to kill the animal shot with it. I have missed and not been able to take a follow up shot because of the break action, but in 300 Win Mag if you hit it, it goes down

I have a T/C and love the feel of it. Shot the heck out of it in our first groundhog hunting video in the .204. Had other barrels but they never shot as good and it seemed the more recoil the less accurate. I'm not saying it was horrible but it was noticable. furtherest shot was 524 yards on a crow with the 32 v-max. Lucky shot - sure, But man was it awsome! It's on film the last shot on the video - All Hogs Go to Heaven.

Since then, I've sold all the barrels and just have the original .204 rifle. Has too many memories to get rid off. But I use all bolt guns for big game, just feel more confortable. You know the old saying "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Good luck,
JamieD

Harold,

I think he means "repeatable" - as in accuracy.

They have a lot going for them and are a great platform for beginning hunters in my opinion (my two nephews got their first deers with an Encore in 260). There's a target hanging on my work bench of a group I shot during load development on a 20" full-bull 223 Rem (8tw Douglas) made by Bullberry that measures .4" for 10 shots @ 100 yards, so they can be fairly accurate.

Cheers,

Bill

The Tompson Center break action rifles make great hunting guns but they are not precision rifles. There are too many variables with the installation/bedding of two stock pieces, barrel installation, action opening/closing and trigger reset, to have the strict repeatability of an accurized, bedded bolt action.

Repeated ranges session with the rifles will show this. Sometimes they shoot great groups like those shown in the 6mmBR article, but more frequently they don't.

I have been in competitions where they have shown up from time to time and inevitably the owners have pulled out due to long range accuracy frustrations. DC

Damn, thats good shooting in the .223! I've got a Pro-Hunter with a fluted Heavy barrel with a T/C Brake in a .375 H and H cal. Have sighted it in ,though have not shot it enough to get a relaible group,being on the road all the time as a Truck Driver. Got a SS 16 Power scope sitting on top of the barrel. Now is the time to get outand shoot.

Harold-

I mis-recollected - had 9 out of 10 in .4", still not too bad....

DSCN1201.jpg

The Virgin Valley Custom 16.25" 375H&H barrel will generally cloverleaf at 100 (rested pistol w/1-4X Burris). Gives up 200 fps to the M70, but kicks it's butt in accuracy!

Cheers,

Bill

Yes they can be accurate. Id go with Bullberry, Match Grade Machine or OTT. My fathers got a Pro hunter in 22-250 and with hand loads it shoots very well. When I sighted it in it was shooting 3 shots in the.3-.4 range at 100yards. However it seems that Thompson barrels are a hit and miss. Some guys have great luck with them and others have trouble getting accuracy out of them. Both of our encores got 1.5lb Bullberry trigger jobs done on them and they both also have locker pins installed. If you want a odd ball caliber and dont want to spend 3k, the encore with match grade barrel from the 3 listed above is hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is OOT located at? Got a MGM 6.5 x .284 barrel,they from St. George,Ut and Bullberry,Hurrcaine,UT.? </div></div>

Looks like Virgin Valley is now MGM....

On Target Technologies site says they are not currently accepting barrel orders?

Bill

Thanks for the info everyone. I need to sit and see if its worth running the risk of getting a not so good factory barrel. I want this to be a budget build that can run at least 1 MOA. Thanks once again.

I have an Encore bull bbl 308 that will shoot 1.5-2''@100.
I have a Rem LTR that will shoot 1.5-2" @ 300.
If you want to shoot LR or varmits get a bolt.
I have used a 243 for deer for a long time, killed over 50 deer with that cal. I use a Ruger ultra lite with a 20"bbl and a Wetherby with a 24" bbl for open fields. Longest kill with a 243 is 375yds.

coach

I have killed 1 mulie at 225 years, 1 antelope 418 yards and one elk at 200 yards with my Encore Pro Hunter. Get her a Pro Hunter frame and stock. Then add either a custom barrel as said above or one of the 28" Bergara barrels. I am using the 28" 30-06 with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds for elk and its shooting about near 1/2" groups. Good enough for minute of elk or deer out to 500 yards. The mulie and antelope mentioned above was with a factory TC Pro Hunter in 25-06 shooting Nosler 110 Accubonds. I love the Encore for hunting.

I've got a custom shop 22 hornet barrel and she drills em in under 1 inch at 100 yards pretty consistently. As far as long range accuracy, I've shot a MGM 243 barrel and it was able to hit a 6x6 steel plate with somewhat ease @ 500 shooting Nosler 95gr BT's.

if you get an encore and are looking for a centerfire barrel that will get you to 600 drop me a line. i have an eabco stainless hvy 26 inch 10 twist in .243ai that i would part with. i put two hundred rounds through it and it's a shooter.