• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thompson Machine The Operative TD (Take-Down Complete Rifle)

RangerWalker71

Suppressor Peddler
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette LA
    gmail.com
    Just got one of this in the shop. Here is the stats, and info from Thompson Machine.
    Brand new for 2012, and based on our popular Operative C, the Operative TD is a complete integrally-suppressed Ruger 10/22 Take-Down Rifle with no equal. We start with factory-new Ruger 10/22 Take-Down Rifles, and integrally suppress the barrel, the result being one of the most quiet, versatile, compact, and light integrally suppressed rifles on the market. Each rifle is then extensively test fired before it leaves our shop to ensure accuracy and reliability. As with all of our integral suppressors, the monocore baffle stack can be quickly and easily removed for cleaning by the end user.

Specifications:

Caliber…………………………22lr

Overall Length………………..34.5”

Barrel (Suppressed) Length…………………17.5”

Barrel Diameter………………920”

Weight…………………………4lb 6oz

Tube Material…………………304 Stainless Steel (Matte Bead-Blasted Finish)

Baffle Material………………..6061 T6

Design…………………………Mono-Baffle, Take-apart Tool Included

Finish…………………………..Matte Bead Blast Natural Stainless/ Matte Black Anodized

MSRP………………………….$1195

This was the quietest factory suppressed rifle I've ever shot. We put a several brands and velocity of ammo thru it. They all where sub sonic, all cycled the action.
    The Subsonic, CCI Quiet was the quietest. Most of the sound comes from the action cycling. The CCI Mini Mags Where still Sub sonic, Action would move faster and be louder.
    Link to some test Vid's

BD78C46E-1F6D-4FAD-A2CA-F7D13870A2B4-7170-00000389FE9EBD4A.mp4 Video by rangerwalker71 | Photobucket
    1E145150-771A-460B-9055-6F5DB04DD0BA-7170-000003896D7493BD.mp4 Video by rangerwalker71 | Photobucket

Thompson Machine is Running 10-14 Weeks on Form 3's to dealers. If you have any Questions, Please call or PM.
    Baffle stack
    FD03C89E-2CB1-4FB1-9D44-5531E889F937-7170-0000038780F5E091.jpg

Last edited:
    This is not an "integral" design. This is nothing more than a "dedicated" design.

No wonder it is the quietest suppressor you have ever heard, you are shooting sub-sonics thru a shortened barrel into a huge can.

Any "integral" design must tap gas by definition. Any "integral" design must start off with supersonic rounds. Any "integral" considered world class must end up with highly uniform subsonic velocities.

Now there has to be a thousands lines written on this subject in these forums. This is not difficult science here. I may be wrong, but I think we have danced around this tune before...
    Thompson may not want to think its a shortened barrel .22 with a permanently attached ("dedicated") can stuck on the end....but THAT is what it IS.

When you stick a baffled can that does not tap gas on a shortened break down 10-22 barrel you have low velocities to begin with, subs make it worse, power out the window, terminal force is gone. Subs are expensive, filthy and inaccurate.

Any dedicated can will not tap gas. Any dedicated can will not take a supersonic round and make it subsonic.

I get the fact that you may be making a breakdown rifle with a breakdown can and that you like the fact that it is quiet with subsonics, but lets be clear here you give up just about every important feature to be found in an integral design.

That would include...

1. Maximum possible velocity to transonic.
    2. Maximum effective range/ maximum terminal force.
    3. By tuning to a HV brand, the best way to uniformity in velocity and therefor accuracy.
    5. The can acting as a tension device on the barrel, thus providing the potential for maximum possible accuracy.

and a whole lot more.

If you are going to give up swapping your can to another host...I strongly recommend an integral design of your choosing. A true integral can is an absolute delight and when executed properly they are the quietest, most accurate suppressed small bores in the world bar none.
    Dedicated is not integral.

Last edited:
    This is not an "integral" design. This is nothing more than a "dedicated" design.

No wonder it is the quietest suppressor you have ever heard, you are shooting sub-sonics thru a shortened barrel into a huge can.

Any "integral" design must tap gas by definition. Any "integral" design must start off with supersonic rounds. Any "integral" considered world class must end up with highly uniform subsonic velocities.

Now there has to be a thousands lines written on this subject in these forums. This is not difficult science here. I may be wrong, but I think we have danced around this tune before...
    Thompson may not want to think its a shortened barrel .22 with a permanently attached ("dedicated") can stuck on the end....but THAT is what it IS.

When you stick a baffled can that does not tap gas on a shortened break down 10-22 barrel you have low velocities to begin with, subs make it worse, power out the window, terminal force is gone. Subs are expensive, filthy and inaccurate.

Any dedicated can will not tap gas. Any dedicated can will not take a supersonic round and make it subsonic.

I get the fact that you may be making a breakdown rifle with a breakdown can and that you like the fact that it is quiet with subsonics, but lets be clear here you give up just about every important feature to be found in an integral design.

That would include...

3. By tuning to a HV brand, the best way to uniformity in velocity and therefor accuracy.
    5. The can acting as a tension device on the barrel, thus providing the potential for maximum possible accuracy.

and a whole lot more.

If you are going to give up swapping your can to another host...I strongly recommend an integral design of your choosing. A true integral can is an absolute delight and when executed properly they are the quietest, most accurate suppressed small bores in the world bar none.

A lot of that is incorrect.

1235 fps Mini Mag is supersonic. The ported barrel design reduces the velocities to sub-sonic. While the AWC integral design is nice, it's not user-servicable.

That would include...

and a whole lot more.

RIMFIRE SUPPRESSORS « Thompson Machine

here is the Link to TM's web page. Read about one sentence into it and it says, " the Operative TD is a complete integrally-suppressed Ruger 10/22 Take-Down Rifle with no equal. "

Argue all you want. but thats from the people that build it.

"1235 fps Mini Mag is supersonic. The ported barrel design reduces the velocities to sub-sonic. While the AWC integral design is nice, it's not user-servicable."

Koz, seems I missed the minimag part. What I read was...

"This was the quietest factory suppressed rifle I've ever shot. We put a several brands and velocity of ammo thru it. They all where sub sonic, all cycled the action. "

Perhaps the original post meant to say this..

"This was the quietest factory suppressed rifle I've ever shot. We put a several brands OF SUPERSONIC velocity of ammo thru it. They all ENDED UP sub sonic, all cycled the action. "

So it appears that this unit either has a super short barrel or taps gas. I still do not know which.

Look I have seen well built sealed integrals with over 35,000 rounds through them that still are suppressing and functioning perfectly.
    I have seen integral .22 pistols with well over 45,000 rounds through them, same thing.
    Both have one thing in common, the highest quality copper coated rounds through them.
    The issue is quality copper coated .22s.
    Still, Who would not want to be able to dip the core if you needed to?
    If one was to design a unit that came apart why would one want an aluminum core?

There are at least two providers that I know of that will allow one to hear the sear break on the bolt variant, "no equal" is a very high bar.
    I would think that would have to include accuracy as well.
    Part of the accuracy achieved is the torquing down of the sealed full assembly back on to the receiver. It is an important attribute of accuracy.
    Quiet is good, quiet and accurate is better.

Last edited:
    "1235 fps Mini Mag is supersonic. The ported barrel design reduces the velocities to sub-sonic. While the AWC integral design is nice, it's not user-servicable."

Koz, seems I missed the minimag part. What I read was...

"This was the quietest factory suppressed rifle I've ever shot. We put a several brands and velocity of ammo thru it. They all where sub sonic, all cycled the action. "

Perhaps the original post meant to say this..

"This was the quietest factory suppressed rifle I've ever shot. We put a several brands OF SUPERSONIC velocity of ammo thru it. They all ENDED UP sub sonic, all cycled the action. "

So it appears that this unit either has a super short barrel or taps gas. I still do not know which.

Look I have seen well built sealed integrals with over 35,000 rounds through them that still are suppressing and functioning perfectly.
    I have seen integral .22 pistols with well over 45,000 rounds through them, same thing.
    Both have one thing in common, the highest quality copper coated rounds through them.
    The issue is quality copper coated .22s.
    Still, Who would not want to be able to dip the core if you needed to?
    If one was to design a unit that came apart why would one want an aluminum core?

There are at least two providers that I know of that will allow one to hear the sear break on the bolt variant, "no equal" is a very high bar.
    I would think that would have to include accuracy as well.
    Part of the accuracy achieved is the torquing down of the sealed full assembly back on to the receiver. It is an important attribute of accuracy.
    Quiet is good, quiet and accurate is better.

Well, you do know what they say about assuming......

That the barrel is short?
    That it can't group?
    That it can't precharge?
    What? What?

:>

Last edited:
    I'll do some groups. Try several different ammo, and a couple of different 10/22's and post them.

To clarify my statement earlier. We used a wide varity of ammo, CCI Mini mags, CCI standard Velocity, CCI quiet, blazer, Federal, and Winchester. Only 2 where subsonic loads, all where subsonic once fired from the rifle. Biggest dif was the noise from te action.

Are there any other finish options? It seems like sand blasted finishes will rust in a vacuum. I want one with a ceracoat finish and a multicam stock.

My 1911-22 with its AAC element is quieter than my "integral" AWC Badlander to the ears of everyone who shoots them. Thats with minimags. The Badlander has more first round pop too. I love my Badlander but porting is a novelty.

Badlander has No porting in its barrel.
    No proper RIFLE length barrel's porting is a "novelty" in an integral, it is mandatory.
    FRP in any of the Amphibians (Badlander) is negated by a light pray of thinnest oil (say Winoil), gone if present.
    Use the aerosol thin tube from the muzzle end and withdraw it at speed.
    8 gens of badlander, 30 years of progress, nothing comes close that I have heard.
    If yours is a MarkIII, the new sloppy Ruger chamber causes back pop, try it with your thumb over the slide.

awc amphibian - Bing Videos
    awc amphibian - Bing Videos

Who ever said that just because a suppressor is an integral that it HAS TO port gas to reduce supersonic ammo to sub? Nobody ever, that's who.

I think that feature is nice, no doubt. Case in point MP5SD. But some may not even want weak ass subs. CASE IN POINT MP5SD. We had one at our team house in iraq and while a fun novelty range gun the thought of slinging 115gr subsonic pellets at terrorists who were using 7.62x39 was less than appealing. Am i saying the Mp5SD was a useless gun, not at all... but it was a tool for a very specific purpose. One of our guys ran it on a raid once in the entire deployment and probably selected it for good reason for that OP.

Why was the MP5 ported in the first place ask yourself? Because the Military has a very hard time getting supplied with subsonic ammo, even the secret squirrels. Otherwise wouldnt you much rather have 147gr? Of course you would.

Anyway, rant over.... but nobody ever said integrals had to reduce supers to subs.

Last edited:
    Glad you like the rifle. No matter how you define integral the suppressor is integrated with the barrel when the tube is pressed and then welded on the rifled barrel. As mentioned by a couple of other folks that posted we do indeed port the bbl aprox 4 inches from the breach face with a series of small holes. The rifled portion of the barrel is 10.5 inches.

If you guys make it to SHOT we are in booth 551

Last edited: