• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thought I had settled on an optic for my RECCE...

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I thought I had settled on an optic for my Recce when I finally managed to get my hands on a Vortex Razor HD 1-6. I had convinced myself the top end of 6x would be good enough, and keeping a low end of 1x was a big deal to me.

I received the scope and was (still am) super impressed with the quality. Everything about it screams high end. The glass is as good as anything I have owned, and the scope just does everything expected and even at almost $1500 it feels like a great value.

Shooting closer range and everything was great, until I decided to do some longer range shooting. At 400 yards, I just cant get by with 6x. I know tons of guys do, but I guess I just ruined myself by shooting scopes with 20-25x top end over the past 5 years.

Bottom line is, as much as I love this optic, I am going to go back to something with 20x or so at the top. I am just going to have to give up the 1x bottom end. I am not going back to $3K optics, so Schmidt, Premier, etc are out.

I am going to sell the Vortex, and would like to stay in that price range. Something around $1300 or so. I havent been paying real close attention to the market lately, and am curious is there is anything new on the horizon, or recently released that I should consider.

I want something that will allow me to shoot to the limits of the 5.56 range. I am thinking something with at least 15x but 20 would be even better for when conditions allow. I am considering looking at Leupold again, something like their 4.5-15x50 MKIV or similar. And of course, also Vortex, as they always deliver great value.

Just thought I would get thoughts from here to see if there is anything new(er) of which I am unaware.

The rifle is a 16" High Caliber Sales RECCE on a KAC SR15 lower with the KAC 2 stage match trigger. I shoot routinely from 0 to ~650 yards with mostly 77 grain SMK handloads.

I am going to be listing my Vortex for sale shortly and that will fund my purchase, as any new purchases would get me killed given all the projects I have going. So, I will be buying in the next week or so. Thanks in advance.

Re: Thought I had settled on an optic for my RECCE...

the leupold mk6 3-18 might fit the bill. but its a bit more than you want to spend, unless you are mil/le. its pretty light too.

Based on the criteria you listed (top end ~ 20x) I'm suggesting you take a good look at the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21. Several 'Hide vendors have them at good prices, and there are several used listed in the 'for sale' forum as well. You might even be able to put a little money back in your pocket after selling the Vortex
wink.gif

The problem with most higher mag scopes is that they weigh a lot. Sort of defeats the purpose of a recce rifle imho because then it's like why not have an 18-20" target barrel as well? Might as well have the downrange velocity to go with the extra magnification.

Leupold 3-18, leupold 4.5-14, vortex PST are the ones I think off offhand that shouldn't be too heavy. Everything else will feel like a brick on top of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with most higher mag scopes is that they weigh a lot. Sort of defeats the purpose of a recce rifle imho because then it's like why not have an 18-20" target barrel as well? Might as well have the downrange velocity to go with the extra magnification.

Leupold 3-18, leupold 4.5-14, vortex PST are the ones I think off offhand that shouldn't be too heavy. Everything else will feel like a brick on top of it. </div></div>

Nailed it.

A simple and cheaper fix might be a Leupold TS30A2 or a 3-9 MR/T.

As a recce gun it's supposed to be short and maneuverable -- the spotter is covering and spotting for the dedicated long gun (semi or bolt, machts nichts). If you're "Going for the Gold" with that kind of high-end magnification (giving up close-range capability or the capability to track and kill multiple fast-moving, dodging, and jinking guys trying to kill you) then you may as well be the primary shooter.

The equipment fits the role for the mission.

My undisrespecful advice is to sell your recce. You fall in with the SPR crowd, I'm not saying you can't run a high powered optic on a 16" but why would you give up the extra volocity of a 18"-20". I put my HDMR on my Noveske recon 16" and it turned a very fast light weight rifle into a pig. You could mount a offset red dot scope.

Have you considered multiple optics for your recce?

Not in your price point but worth a look.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3740737