• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thought on Eotech EXPS2/3 with magnifier

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’m looking to swap out the current optic on my carbine for something different, I’m currently running a 1-4 lpvo and want to do something like an eotech since I’ve heard they are better for astigmatism. I figured with the magnifier I’m not really losing much for longer distance since the 1-4 is just a dot with a circle without an graduation for distance.

Can go either way.

What's your LPVO weigh? I'd put that against what the XPS3 and the 3x magnifier plus mount weigh and see.

Only real downsides are the Eotech has shit battery life and you have to turn it off when you're done using it. Under the magnifier the reticle looks like pixelated bukkake.

I have this setup on my MK46Mod1. Everything else has a T1 on it and 1 outlying ACOG.

Did EOTech ever fix the issues that they did the big recall/refund from a few years ago?

Check out the Holosun 510 also. Not as tacticool or durable as the EOTech but battery life is way better, has a “shake awake” feature instead of having to manually turn it on, can switch between 3 reticle choices and much cheaper

Can go either way.

What's your LPVO weigh? I'd put that against what the XPS3 and the 3x magnifier plus mount weigh and see.

Only real downsides are the Eotech has shit battery life and you have to turn it off when you're done using it. Under the magnifier the reticle looks like pixelated bukkake.

I have this setup on my MK46Mod1. Everything else has a T1 on it and 1 outlying ACOG.

Ok, not sure what you mean by “you have to turn it off when you’re done.” If you hit the up arrow it turns off automatically after 8 hrs. Turning it on with the down arrows turns it off automatically after 4 hrs. Maybe that’s just with the EXPS3.

I have an EOTech EXPS3-4 with a G33 magnifier. LOVE IT! It’s blurry by itself, but it’s not an issue for me. In close quarters, if the target is in the red circle, you’re good to go. The crazy thing is, when you flip the magnifier up, it crisps the reticle right up (It’s like magic). With the EXPS3-4, you have 4 dots for distance and they are spot on. Absolutely love it, and battery life really isn’t an issue for me. It has an auto power off, so I really don’t worry about leaving it on.

I also have an Aimpoint T1 and T2. They’re great too, but I really like the EOTech on my AR. Great for CQB and long distances.

And BTW, I have astigmatism as well.

Last edited:
    Did EOTech ever fix the issues that they did the big recall/refund from a few years ago?

If it was with the parallax shift in extreme cold, that was ridiculous. The parallax shift in the EOTech in extreme conditions was still less than what’s normally on an MRO and even an Aimpoint T1. But yes, I think they even fixed that small error margin in extreme conditions.

I have mixed feelings about them saw one eotech 3x's it was sort of neat , but the money they cost put me back over in the scope range pretty fast . saw a primary arms flip over 6xs mag that i almost got really close to buying that and the hologram they had were under 500 hundred including the locking flip for the 6x's magnifier then I saw the post about those arken scopes and for 200 more I got a 6x24 x50 for 700ish and again got a scope I think they are neat but for me I guess Id rather stick to another scope why pay almost a grand or more for a hologram and a flip 3x's magnifier when a scope can be had that does more for less money . But ultimately its your decision cause its your money good luck with what ever you decide and what ever you get .

I also have the exps 3-4 with a g33 on one of my ar15s and think it is awesome. But my experience is limited, and limited to shooting at the range. I am putting a LPVO on another ar and have even been wondering if I can mount an Eotech on there too as well. I guess that is ridiculous since the 1x on the LPVO is supposed to have that functionality already but it is so easy to aim at close range with the holographic sight. My thoughts pretty useless though due to limited experience but want to try to contribute (such as it is) to forum where I can....

CY851fbm.jpg

My go to rifle now and just added a G33

Check out the Holosun 510 also. Not as tacticool or durable as the EOTech but battery life is way better, has a “shake awake” feature instead of having to manually turn it on, can switch between 3 reticle choices and much cheaper
    I might have to look into that, maybe find a magnifier

I’m interested to look through the new 5x magnifier and the 4 dot reticle. I’ll settle for the 3x, but if the 5x works out, that’d be alright with me.

Last edited:
    I’m interested to look through the new 5x magnifier and the 4 dot reticle. I’ll settle for the 3x, but if the 5x works out, that’d be alright with me.

Yep. Waiting on the G45 magnifier to be released.

Reactions: FishinGuns
    I have shot up to 300 yards with using the simple exps3.0 reticle. Very consistent 200 yards shots back to back, without a magnifier. Having a magnifier would have helped for having a glimpse at the targets. One advantage with exps series and the g magnifier is that under magnification your center dot still stays at 1moa. I used my g33 with aimpoint t2 and having a 6moa dot was a bit challenging over 100 yard targets.

It is a neat set up. There is a reason why all around the world military units are still using them. Do not worry about the weight so much; you can take the magnifier off, keep it on yourself or in a bag, and toss it on as needed, you won't have to zero it.

The only drawback is the eye relief is around 2" with g33 magnifier, be mindful of that.

It was never much of an issue. The actual big issue was they lied about. As a subsidiary of L3 with tens of billions of gov contracts they just paid the $26m fine and went on.

you think tier 1 units dont vet their gear yet would still them if there is a real issue?

I’m looking to swap out the current optic on my carbine for something different, I’m currently running a 1-4 lpvo and want to do something like an eotech since I’ve heard they are better for astigmatism. I figured with the magnifier I’m not really losing much for longer distance since the 1-4 is just a dot with a circle without an graduation for distance.

Ok Here is the honest reality of the question.

The Eotech is the fastest combat optic out there. It has been that way for 20 years. It works great with NV, has a very forgiving eyebox and is a very reliable optic in the perpendicular battery setups. Tier one units used these and still use these to this day because they are plain faster. Aimpoints are also prolific in these circles. For a pure CQB assaulter type role, you won't find much better. Yea Battery life sucks compared to an AP but when you are swapping batteries every mission or everyday, who cares.

The 2 main issues of Eotech reliability over the years have been fixed. The first one was de-lamination of the lens. This was fixed about 10 years ago and should not be an issue with newer production. The other was broken battery contacts rending the optic useless. From the early Bushnell holosight up to the XPS/EXP, the batteries were inline with recoil. Over time, that inline recoil would wear down the battery contacts. This issue was exacerbated in platforms like the SCAR with its massive bolt carrier creating negative recoil impulses, destroying optics not hardened. One of the benefits of the SCAR program is it made this issue very apparent, considering the Eotech 512/553 was on of the main SOCOM optics at the time. Eotech revised the design so the batteries were not inline with recoil and in a milled battery housing that was much more robust. Alot of the really great electro optics we have to day, are here because the SCAR killed their parents and they had to be hardened to stand up to use. Thanks FN.

Unless you are building a clone, Stick to the XPS/EXPS. The earlier models just aren't worth the risk.

The G33 combo was a very nice setup. It provided additional PID and targeting range making shots easier at distance and people hiding behind cover. There are still some units who run this setup, however face shooting is not their forte , calling in airstrikes and keeping dudes alive is. Probably has more to do with good enough and already paid for.

With the proliferation of high quality LPV's, I think the combo has become obsolete. We can now have high quality 1-6/8/10 FFP LPVOS with red dot bright reticles on 1x with the added benefit of a tree reticle for making quick longer range shots, while getting better PID. The LPV will also be lighter and take up less bulk.

I also have issue with certain optics due to astigmatism and the Eotech always looked fuzzy to me. Didn't effect the function but never looked great.

For the same money as a Eotech/G33 combo, you can pick up their 1-6 FFP which has the same reticle , only etched. It is daylight bright and actually looks better than a regular holosight. It has a slightly smaller eye box but on 1X, its like running a -0. If your price limit is around $1k, I think its by far the best buy on the market until you get up into the NX8 and G3 Razor Realm.

Ok Here is the honest reality of the question.

The Eotech is the fastest combat optic out there. It has been that way for 20 years. It works great with NV, has a very forgiving eyebox and is a very reliable optic in the perpendicular battery setups. Tier one units used these and still use these to this day because they are plain faster. Aimpoints are also prolific in these circles. For a pure CQB assaulter type role, you won't find much better. Yea Battery life sucks compared to an AP but when you are swapping batteries every mission or everyday, who cares.

The 2 main issues of Eotech reliability over the years have been fixed. The first one was de-lamination of the lens. This was fixed about 10 years ago and should not be an issue with newer production. The other was broken battery contacts rending the optic useless. From the early Bushnell holosight up to the XPS/EXP, the batteries were inline with recoil. Over time, that inline recoil would wear down the battery contacts. This issue was exacerbated in platforms like the SCAR with its massive bolt carrier creating negative recoil impulses, destroying optics not hardened. One of the benefits of the SCAR program is it made this issue very apparent, considering the Eotech 512/553 was on of the main SOCOM optics at the time. Eotech revised the design so the batteries were not inline with recoil and in a milled battery housing that was much more robust. Alot of the really great electro optics we have to day, are here because the SCAR killed their parents and they had to be hardened to stand up to use. Thanks FN.

Unless you are building a clone, Stick to the XPS/EXPS. The earlier models just aren't worth the risk.

The G33 combo was a very nice setup. It provided additional PID and targeting range making shots easier at distance and people hiding behind cover. There are still some units who run this setup, however face shooting is not their forte , calling in airstrikes and keeping dudes alive is. Probably has more to do with good enough and already paid for.

With the proliferation of high quality LPV's, I think the combo has become obsolete. We can now have high quality 1-6/8/10 FFP LPVOS with red dot bright reticles on 1x with the added benefit of a tree reticle for making quick longer range shots, while getting better PID. The LPV will also be lighter and take up less bulk.

I also have issue with certain optics due to astigmatism and the Eotech always looked fuzzy to me. Didn't effect the function but never looked great.

For the same money as a Eotech/G33 combo, you can pick up their 1-6 FFP which has the same reticle , only etched. It is daylight bright and actually looks better than a regular holosight. It has a slightly smaller eye box but on 1X, its like running a -0. If your price limit is around $1k, I think its by far the best buy on the market until you get up into the NX8 and G3 Razor Realm.

Maybe I’ll have to look around to see what 1k gets me with lpv, having some extra magnification and a reticle would be handy if I switched it onto my 308 project down the road.