• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thought on next rifle build

jamesZ71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Sarasota,FL
here is what im thinking for my next rifle build

Action Savage 10 Short Action gen 2 4.275 $200
Barrel 28in Broughton Heavy Bull 243cal. 8.1 LBS $400.00
Rifle Stock Mcree Precision Rifle Stock (Coyote Tan ) $740.00
Optic Base U.S. Optics 20 MOA Scope Base $130.00
Optic Rings U.S rings 1.35" Height 3/4" thick 35mm $200.00
Optics MILLETT 6-25x56 Riflescope w/Mil-Dot $459.95
Trigger Basix Rifle Trigger Savage #2 $146.00
Bipod Harris 6-9in With Swivel&Notche Legs $96.26
Mags AI Magazines 10 Rounds $75.00
Rifle Case Pelican 1750 Rifle Case $201.20
Bolt Handle Savage Tactical Bolt Handle $42.00
Anti-Cant U.S Anti-Cant Devise $79.99

i know most of the prices are off a bit (little high)
so what do you guys think and what would you change or do diffrent

Re: thought on next rifle build

Looks like you are putting a bit of money into that, I'd go for a higher quality scope like a used Leupold or a USO ST-10, the USO mentioned is a fixed 10x scope that starts out as ~$1000 IIRC, then customize it any way you want if you wish.

I'm sure the Millet is ok, but that rifle sounds like it needs a better scope, a scope should cost at least .75% of your rifle or you might (like me) end up paying more for that less expensive scope (of course this depends on the quallity of the scope.

Seriously, look around for a better scope, you could have a high cance of finding a good/great deal on a used Leupold MkIV or possibly even a used USO.

Hope this help, and post pics when your done,
P.B.Walsh

You must be going to build off a current savage you have? If it shoots, I would keep it and save for a custom action and better scope even if it takes a year to do so.

If you already have the pre-acutrigger Savage use it, if not buy a Stevens 200 for $300, have it blueprinted and get a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger. I've built several rifles contstructed this way and they shoot very well. Also I wouldn't spend mega-bucks on a US Optcs base, rings and cant indicator, I'd buy an EGW base and a decent set of rings that are under $80 and put the different into better glass or better barrel. I'd get the best glass and barrel I could afford.

The Savage actions lends themselves well to accurate shooting due to the floating bolt head and it's easy to zero headspace them so I like your choice of an action but if your barrel and glass are bad you'll never get the gun to shoot.

Shilen sells a drop in Stainless Select Match Savage replacement for $380. That's a good barrel at a fair price. I'd get as heavy a contour as I could carry. If the rifle isn't going on long walks then stick a fat barrel on it.

have one savage 10 in 308 and it shoot great,going to be getting another savage to build off of for about $200

scope has not been set in stone,just what i was thinking of starting off with

Lothar-Walther makes stainless barrels right in GA that are drop-in's for Savage actions. Mine is a BR Grade, Savage Varmint Contour .260 Rem 28" 1:8", threaded and SAAMI chambered to fit the Savage as a twist-on. Barrel orders are put together one month for production the next, once payment clears.

I used it for 1Kyd F Class with 142SMK's, and it was not holding me back in any way. I'm currently using it in FV200 shooting with 95gr V-Max and it's competitive.

If you're planning 26", 28" is no big deal; and I find mine (including a McM A3 tactical with spacers for a 16.5" LOP) fits into a 52" trap gun hard case with room to spare. It's like getting 75fps for free; and forget the AI, you won't need it, I've shot 1123yd with a 24" Savage factory .260 barrel. Yes, they did make them at one time.

The current L-W retail list price is $308.

Using a factory Varmint contour helps because it makes other, related factors much easier to assemble compatibly.

Greg

My shooting sucks right now. My only shooting is in FV200 comp, and I'm in the middle of the pack.

I don't think it makes sense to depict performance from a couple of years back, but the barrel (and I, surprisingly) have placed as high as 3rd (once) in 1000yd F Class comp.

These days, my performance is not so good as it once was; but it's me, not the barrel.

Greg

still not sure on what caliber to go with
going to be shooting at 300,600 and maybe a 1000 yards

I think maybe I put you off unnecessarily.

With a homemade harmonic tuner, the L-W barrel shot groups so small, I'm not going to say because I don't want to start a pissing match.

The point here is that the barrel shoots better than both my marksmanship and load development skills are able to properly employ.

It is my considered opinion that there are a fair number of aftermarket barrels out there whose capabilities are very hard for all but a very small number among us to take full advantage of, and that same considered opinion places L-W barrels at or near the top of a very short list of barrel makers who can not only produce such barrels, but also repeat the act.

There is <span style="font-style: italic">no</span> reason not to seriously consider L-W.

Greg