• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Thought you all might get a kick out of this

Re: Thought you all might get a kick out of this

It said Iceland was doing it in complete openess and transparancy. If our polititions tried to do that they would all grow their noses about 4 feet long and then have heart attacks. All of themm.

Not intended as a political post, rather a truthful observation on the whole system.

"Show me a politition and Ill show you a crook." My Father (and others)

Hell no, I like my right to keep and bear arms.

That would be one of the first few things to get raped if they ever got the collective balls together to try remaking the constitution

"<span style="font-weight: bold">The electoral college, for example, is highly undemocratic, allowing for the possibility that someone could get elected as president even if he or she had a smaller share of the total national vote than his opponent.</span>"

Sounds like a valid observation to me.

When pondering the possibility of the United States Constitution being rewritten in today's climate, a certain phrase comes to mind... aegrescit medendo.

The cure is worse than the disease.

while I dont necessarily disagree with the concept, I believe it would be fantastically butchered. It would have to be so over compromised to get it passed, that it would be 1000 pages long and worded so ambiguously that it wouldnt actually say anything. We would lose more rights to it than it would protect. Not to mention the "special interest" groups would get a higher amount of recognition than the common man.

Besides the current US would never even be able to decide anything. Ever try to order a pizza in a room full of people? by the time everyone gets done telling you want they cant eat on a pizza, you cant even order one. It seems like an over simplified simile, but its really not.

Hell, look how insignificant crap gets endlessly debated with no decision on this forum, and we are much more like minded here than the general population.

The electoral college is a brilliant idea. But it is flawed in and of the fact that each county should have one vote, and then that vote gets counted towards which way that state is going to vote. If that were the case huge metropolis' like SF, LA, NY, Chicago, would have no more saw than rural Alaska. Ca wouldnt be such a shithole if this were the case.

This was a response, and a very interesting one.

Actually, there was another purpose for the Senate till it was erased by the 17th Amendment: giving state legislatures direct influence on federal legislation. Senators were originally selected by whatever method individual state governments chose (mostly elected by state legislatures), not directly by the people. This acted as a powerful check on the expansion of federal power since all federal laws had to pass a vote by people who served at the pleasure of state governments directly. The Presidential Electoral College used to work the same way.

The shift to popular elections for senators (and presidential electors) may have been motivated by a desire to address real problems, but it ultimately has proven far more deadly to the concept of limited government than any ot the problems it was meant to address. Turns out, those guys knew what they were doing when they wrote the Constitution.

Nowadays, senators of all stripes and parties trample the rights of states and the limitations of the 10th Amendment with reckless abandon while whoring themselves directly to cobbled alliances of special interest voters–a process that Iceland has now expedited through the wonders of social media.

^^^^ BINGO!!! People who have no understanding of Constitutional principles whatsoever should refrain from writing articles extolling the virtues of trashing the document that established the greatest nation on earth, not to mention the best form of government devised to date.

Fareed Zakaria works for Newsweek. Newsweek is a POS. We don't need another damned Constitution, and as soon as you hear him bitch about the lack of democracy in the Constitution, you understand his agenda perfectly well. Go away, Fareed.