• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thought you guys might enjoy this. 20mm Solothurn

QuietShootr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2003
In the interest of sharing some of the things I do with those who would enjoy them...Or, what I did last weekend...besides get covered in poison ivy.

First: a round of ammunition with a 1911 for perspective.
SolothurnRound.jpg

In its shipping crate:
Solothurn1.jpg

Muzzle view:
SolothurnMuzzle.jpg

Chamber:
IMG_1243.jpg

Magazine well:
IMG_1247.jpg

With a .300 Win for scale.
IMG_1227.jpg

Assembled on its carriage:
IMG_1218.jpg

View downrange:
IMG_1191.jpg

Right side. Note massive ejection port.
IMG_1189.jpg

Left side:
IMG_1182.jpg

Muzzle brake (there are two brakes, this one for firing API, and a single chamber one for firing HE, which is much lighter.)
url]

I'll get some video after I've had some time to edit. Cheers!

Re: Thought you guys might enjoy this. 20mm Solothurn

That CANT be cheap to fire... Looks like a bunch of fun though
smile.gif

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That CANT be cheap to fire... Looks like a bunch of fun though
smile.gif

Matt. </div></div>

'tain't. About $60 a round for original factory rounds. The reloads are a bit less obviously, but they require that you locate 20mm Vulcan projectiles and have them turned down to the proper diameter (it's a little smaller than a US 20mm.) Uses .50BMG primers and a metric fuckton of powder. Ballistics: 4000 grain projectile @2500, for around 55k foot-pounds of ME.

Wow and I thought it was fun to tap off 50bmg ammo when I had one. You may just need to get a CNC lath and just start pumping out your own bullets. Then only to get powder by the shipping container and you will be set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Uses .50BMG primers and a <span style="color: #CC0000">metric fuckton of powder</span>. Ballistics: 4000 grain projectile @2500, for around 55k foot-pounds of ME. </div></div>

The "technical" term......

Do you use a measuring cup from the kitchen?
smile.gif

FANTASTIC!

This is very cool, thanks for the great photos. IIRC, these 20s are about 0.008" smaller at the engraving band than 20mm Vulcans.

Can anyone give some more info on the sighting device ?
It looks like some sort of built in optic ?

awesome piece of artilery, doesn't look lefty friendly though.
I am very jealous right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done, Mr Bowman.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I get it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done, Mr Bowman.
wink.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif

Way above my pay grade...

.. but it warms the heart...

Where can I get one of those wheeled bi pods for my 308?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone give some more info on the sighting device ?
It looks like some sort of built in optic ? </div></div>

Not sure, but it looks like it comes with an EREK knob.

Thats an amazing piece of history you have there.

Imagine being some poor guy rolling up on a position in a vehicle and getting caught by an experienced gunner behind one of these. No thank you, I would rather be on foot.

Nice! Can't wait for the video.

Rolling up in a vehicle! Hell imagine walkin in on foot patrol and being surprised by this. You think a .50 does some damage. Better have a DNA record for this one. You can't even take cover behind a BIG tree and be safe from this beast.