• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts?: Miculek Magnetic Buffer System

RTV

Rock the Vote
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019

this sounds like a very interesting concept.
i wonder if they will have something that will work with the A5

Reactions: Near miss
Looks like they licensed and renamed this:

Ummm.... looks kinda gimmicky. He said all the words too. Wanna buy something to suddenly be better, faster, stronger? Then again i thought the same thing about the flat spring and now i run them....

Reactions: Austan
Ummm.... looks kinda gimmicky. He said all the words too. Wanna buy something to suddenly be better, faster, stronger? Then again i thought the same thing about the flat spring and now i run them....
The video defenitly reeks of bad infomercial lol

But i am intrigued about using magnets to dampen the recoil... I could easily see that being a phenominal idea if done right and I always like to geek out on them haha.

I'm curious about what it is actually doing... even if it is just repelling itself from the BCG I could see that improve the recoil impulse significantly by avoiding that hard metal on metal slap.

Reactions: Snuby642
There are also Hydraulic buffers as well. Which I run in my Sig 716 AR10. AR 15 though, I just see no point. I tried a hydraulic buffer in my 300BLK once. That felt like a waste of money and returned it.
You're right, plays like an infomercial. Stopped it 2 minutes in cause it was painful to watch.

Reactions: 260284
that video is the most cringeworthy thing ive watched in a longtime. Was this filmed as an april fools joke that flopped?

Remember when troy aikman started selling acme bricks? And he would just rear back and toss a brick like a hail mary at the end of the commercial? Pepperidge farms remembers.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
Lmao

Does this product just sound gimmicky to everyone or is it just the dude in the rattlesnake shirt who looks like he's rehearsing for the price is right?

now I know we are in an ammo crisis when good shooters have to promote this kind of crap.

in theory a magnetic propulsion could work, just not in that design

• Haha
Reactions: RTV
now I know we are in an ammo crisis when good shooters have to promote this kind of crap.

in theory a magnetic propulsion could work, just not in that design
Why do you think that design would not work?

There would need to a strong magnet at the end of the receiver extension to cause the magnet in the buffer to slow and repel before impact.

If I hear "buttery smooth" again with anything associated with AR's, I'm puking and running away. Now, a JP side charger gets close. But, "buttery" no, just no...

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Magnets attract metal. Especially little metal shavings. I don't really understand how this buffers recoil but I'm not interested enough to find out. It's 5.56 ffs. The propensity for it to pull metal shavings into an important moving part is enough for me to dismiss it. But consider this: you have a powerful magnet reciprocating rapidly right next to your cheek. This magnetic field is going to move electrons through the spring and anything else metal close to it. NV and thermal optics can be (speculating here) sensitive to this magnetic influence. Who wants to test that with their multi thousand dollar NV or thermal set up? I'll pass.

Yeah, don’t think a magnetic buffer is a good idea. Also DPM Systems has had something similar for awhile now (minus the magnetic stuff). On a .308, I THINK it helps recoil as I notice I can stay on target after a shot better.

There would need to a strong magnet at the end of the receiver extension to cause the magnet in the buffer to slow and repel before impact.
Seems like they’re using magnetic repulsion within the 2 articulating shafts of the buffer itself.

The video defenitly reeks of bad infomercial lol

But i am intrigued about using magnets to dampen the recoil... I could easily see that being a phenominal idea if done right and I always like to geek out on them haha.

I'm curious about what it is actually doing... even if it is just repelling itself from the BCG I could see that improve the recoil impulse significantly by avoiding that hard metal on metal slap.
There is no metal-on-metal impact with the standard buffer and RET.

The bumper pad on the back of the buffer is meant to bounce off the rear wall of the RET in order to impart more forward inertia into the BCG so it will reliably strip cartridges from the magazine.

This is why RETs are supposed to be made a certain way from 7075T6 and not machined or welded. There have been a lot of short-cut RETs on the market, most of which don’t follow the TDP because it’s expensive to make RETs correctly.

The action spring also must not have spring impact from excessive compression, so there is always space between the coils.

Reactions: Jsp556 and RTV
It's interesting, to me it's biggest plus, might also be its biggest downside. It's nice that you can adjust the buffer without removing it, but without some sort of set screw (I'm looking at OMNI's facebook video) I wonder if the adjustment screw will not drift under recoil. I also wonder how well the magnets will hold up, magnets are pretty brittle items so they'd have to absolutely be solidly fixed in the unit. On the video it sounds like there's something rattling around in there. I will say at least in theory having what is essentially a 3 stage setup (recoil spring + buffer weight + magnetic supplementing the recoil spring over the last part of travel), but also having controlled return could improve the recoil pulse, but it might also mess with reliability. Hydraulic units offer a similar advantage, and if they work in your system they can shoot very soft, but most, if not all, offer no adjustment.

He has some pretty harsh things to say about the JP captured unit.....feed ramp damage, feed lip magazine damage, bolt bounce out of battery danger, more recoil due to the heavy spring and weight shoving the bolt forward etc.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...-magnetic-adjustable-recoil-reduction-system/ Looks like TFB covered it last year.

It's interesting, to me it's biggest plus, might also be its biggest downside. It's nice that you can adjust the buffer without removing it, but without some sort of set screw (I'm looking at OMNI's facebook video) I wonder if the adjustment screw will not drift under recoil. I also wonder how well the magnets will hold up, magnets are pretty brittle items so they'd have to absolutely be solidly fixed in the unit. On the video it sounds like there's something rattling around in there. I will say at least in theory having what is essentially a 3 stage setup (recoil spring + buffer weight + magnetic supplementing the recoil spring over the last part of travel), but also having controlled return could improve the recoil pulse, but it might also mess with reliability. Hydraulic units offer a similar advantage, and if they work in your system they can shoot very soft, but most, if not all, offer no adjustment.

He has some pretty harsh things to say about the JP captured unit.....feed ramp damage, feed lip magazine damage, bolt bounce out of battery danger, more recoil due to the heavy spring and weight shoving the bolt forward etc.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...-magnetic-adjustable-recoil-reduction-system/ Looks like TFB covered it last year.

Have you heard of any of this in the field?

I have thousands of rounds behind my JP silent capture spring and don’t recall any damage.

Adjustment wise I never needed to adjust it, I make my adjustments on my gas block.

I'd like to hear more about this "bolt bounce out of battery DANGER"

Heh, I don't buy it for a second, personally I just think it's amusing he's taking shots at JP capture setup, even called it a gimmick. Here's link to the video. If I remember right his theory was the extra spring/weights of the JP slamming the bolt home increased the inertia of the bolt when closing and likelihood of the bolt bouncing out of battery.

gets good around the 4:45 mark

• Haha
Reactions: TurboTrout and RTV
If you shoot 3 gun then this is hilarious:
FB_IMG_1618939487151.jpg

Seems like they’re using magnetic repulsion within the 2 articulating shafts of the buffer itself.
Yes, that’s all it is. They’re just using the magnets as a spring; the same thing could be done by a common coil spring too but OOH MAGNETS!

Have you heard about the healing powers of magnets? If you use this buffer daily it’ll heal your headaches. LOL

If the buffer used magnetic damping it might be interesting, but just using expensive magnets instead of a simple spring - seems pretty obvious this is just gimmick marketing to people who think magnets are something mysterious. There’s no other reason to use magnets this way.

Last edited:
When used without the magnets touching each other, it should give much longer lifespan than a spring and is also very temperature stable (springs get tougher in cold enviroments)

However I am not AR expert, far from it and I know that the buffer system is quite complicated when it comes to both recoil and reliability being optimized. I am not going to mess with it, AGB is good enough.

I have understood it is necessary for the buffer to hit the back of extension tube under high ambient temps so that the gun runs in cold too. May not be completely useless idea to dampen it?

Buffer systems are only complicated when people start trying to "improve" them....

Magnetic repulsion is no worse an idea than any other, I guess.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued. Anybody tried one?

The first and most obvious question I'll ask as a leather personnel carrier foot soldier -- how much does this thing screw with your compass, radio, and any other personal mission electronics (like perhaps night goggles and range finder, maybe GPS)?

Given the small magnetic closure on my LRF case hoses the compass calibration on my Kestrel if I come within a foot of it I'd think it would be a cause for concern.

The first and most obvious question I'll ask as a leather personnel carrier foot soldier -- how much does this thing screw with your compass, radio, and any other personal mission electronics (like perhaps night goggles and range finder, maybe GPS)?
If Jerry is behind it I think you're the wrong target audience. Although I'd be more inclined to believe somebody else is behind it and just using the JM endorsement.

I met and talked with him at a shoot on the now closed 3c range.
Was a good time despite a horrible wind storm.

And not having tried his product have no opinion on it.

But the man does know how to run an ar.

Why all the hate for Jerry M.
What I'm getting from all this is that no one is really hating on Jerry.

But everyone needs to make a living and with ammo prices the way they are this new buffer being "smooothhhhhh" might not be the only reason he's peddling it haha

That and the video looks like it hired the director from the shamwow commercials lol

Compared to the rest of his videos this one does suck.

I'll bet he redoes it soon.

As far as nv, electronics ect. I don't see a lot of that used at 3 gun type events.

Service duty rifles probably shouldn't have many adjustable item's anyway.

You know with asvab scores of 25 being gtg. Lol

• Haha
Compared to the rest of his videos this one does suck.

I'll bet he redoes it soon.

As far as nv, electronics ect. I don't see a lot of that used at 3 gun type events.

Service duty rifles probably shouldn't have many adjustable item's anyway.

You know with asvab scores of 25 being gtg. Lol

Hey now watch it lol
I'm pretty sure there is more than one 11B on these forums.

But I agree a fighting rifle should always follow the KISS method rather conservatively.

It was humor.
I worked with sp's a couple of years due to security clearances they were short of in some areas.

They wanted me to stay but air craft paid better. It got ugly and the base commander had to step in.

Luckily he was a pilot and also a rod and gun club regular.

When used without the magnets touching each other, it should give much longer lifespan than a spring and is also very temperature stable (springs get tougher in cold enviroments)

However I am not AR expert, far from it and I know that the buffer system is quite complicated when it comes to both recoil and reliability being optimized. I am not going to mess with it, AGB is good enough.

I have understood it is necessary for the buffer to hit the back of extension tube under high ambient temps so that the gun runs in cold too. May not be completely useless idea to dampen it?
Dampening the buffer stop is one thing, but this buffer doesn’t do that; it’s just using expensive magnets as a spring. As for long lifespan, consider valve springs in car engines- they see more cycles in 10 minutes of operation than most ARs ever see in a lifetime. Spring life is not an issue when done right, there just isn’t a whole lot of reason to put one in a buffer, other than the polymer bumpers that normal buffers have.

I just saw that B&T now offers their buffer system for the AR. Twice the price of the magic magnet but, maybe better value? My APC10 practically shoots itself. If I drop the 2 hundo I'll report back on whether I bought performance or marketing.

Many people have spent buttloads of money tuning down recoil impulse to stay on target.

All manner of stuff for the front, middle, all the way back to buttstock and all points in between.

This is a fresh example of the same quest.

I don't understand how this buffer supposedly helps Jerry Miculek stay on target when shooting a .223/5.56 AR when he can do this with a large caliber DA revolver in the first place?

Lmao this comment is beautiful.

Kinda brings us all back around to the good old: if you need help staying on target with 5.56 recoil then you should probably skip the gizmos and just buy ammo and/or training.

Reactions: liminalState
I don't understand how this buffer supposedly helps Jerry Miculek stay on target when shooting a .223/5.56 AR when he can do this with a large caliber DA revolver in the first place?
I can't speak to this product, but IF it helps, it does so incrementally like any other upgraded part.
Any of us should be able to mag dump an M4 clone and keep them all on a full sized IPSC at 10 yards. Put on a mild brake and tune the gas and suddenly the holes are all a little closer. Install a giant brake, aluminum carrier, light spring and buffer, gas down to minimum and suddenly all the holes are touching and your sight picture barely moves.
If a hit is a hit and you only shoot at big targets at 10 yards maybe this doesn't matter to you. If you try the same thing at 30 yards and want A zones then suddenly all this tuning makes sense.

I can't speak to this product, but IF it helps, it does so incrementally like any other upgraded part.
Any of us should be able to mag dump an M4 clone and keep them all on a full sized IPSC at 10 yards. Put on a mild brake and tune the gas and suddenly the holes are all a little closer. Install a giant brake, aluminum carrier, light spring and buffer, gas down to minimum and suddenly all the holes are touching and your sight picture barely moves.
If a hit is a hit and you only shoot at big targets at 10 yards maybe this doesn't matter to you. If you try the same thing at 30 yards and want A zones then suddenly all this tuning makes sense.
This reminds of sitting at a hole during a PGA tournament. As the leaders approach, the grouping of the balls hitting the green get tighter. Combination of training, talent, and better sponsors/equipment. Also relevant - "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Heh, I don't buy it for a second, personally I just think it's amusing he's taking shots at JP capture setup, even called it a gimmick. Here's link to the video. If I remember right his theory was the extra spring/weights of the JP slamming the bolt home increased the inertia of the bolt when closing and likelihood of the bolt bouncing out of battery.

gets good around the 4:45 mark

Don’t want my bolt traveling faster than it was meant to (with the JP), well seeing my bolt was made by JP, my upper was made by JP, yeahs that’s a lol

Dude doesn’t even have the proper scale to demonstrate his stupid product, and calls out the JP buffer, probably in more winning guns in competition than anything? That’s the thing with shady sales people, they often don’t know when to just shut up, I’d have said hmmm that’s a interesting ideas, and what grown up kid doesn’t like magnets, but nooo he has to try to shit on a known good product by calling it a gimmick in a failed attempt to make his legit gimmick look better.

That’s a lot of fail in a small video

Reactions: TonyTheTiger