• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts of IMR 8208 XBR?

Re: Thoughts of IMR 8208 XBR?

Accuracy is great, Velocity in my 308 with 175smk and 178hpbt was crap... ~100-125fps slower than Varget.

Same here. Pitiful velocities with 175g SMKs in 308, and 80g SMKs in 223. I think the faster burn-rate of this powder favors light bullets

If you're looking for something new to try, I'd recommend experimenting with Alliant's new powder, AR-Comp. It appears to be even more temp stable than Varget, and doesn't mind heavy bullets

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3219487&page=1

I've only have shot it with 155 class bullets, but it delivers in spades with that combo. 2890 out of a 20", excellent accuracy, not temperature sensitive. I've never shot it with anything heavier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only have shot it with 155 class bullets, but it delivers in spades with that combo. 2890 out of a 20", excellent accuracy, not temperature sensitive. I've never shot it with anything heavier.

</div></div>
Stable enough for our 100 degree summers? I just started working a load using xbr and curious is my hotter loads will increase in a couple months.

I tried it with Hornady 168 BTHP's and was not impressed. Nothing under MOA. The AR in .223 sure loves it so I thought I would give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff1383</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only have shot it with 155 class bullets, but it delivers in spades with that combo. 2890 out of a 20", excellent accuracy, not temperature sensitive. I've never shot it with anything heavier.

</div></div>
Stable enough for our 100 degree summers? I just started working a load using xbr and curious is my hotter loads will increase in a couple months.</div></div>

Yes, it shot just as well in the Houston Texas summer. I've really been impressed.

I had very good impressions of the powder, very accurate with a variety of bullets tried, worked well in 204 but was slow in 308 compared to other powders.

No problem obtaining m-118lr velocities with no pressure signs using 175 smk's. Got to 2900 fps with 155 scenars with a max load, with no pressure signs. 24" 5R milspec. This powder replaced RE-15 and H-4895 for my match 308 bullets. Its limit in 308 seemed to be 150 grain hunting bullets. To get ok performance there I had to push the bullets hard and load out to a longer length than I normally do. (This in a 22" barrel of a m70 extreme weather). I have also been having great results with the 77gr smk in 5.56 pressure ranges.