• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing thoughts on 110 TTSX out of 308win

308winchester

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
barnes makes a 110 TTSX flat base in .308

i ran some numbers and if you could launch this @ 3400 at the muzzleand sight it 2" high @ 100, it would only drop 4" @ 300 yards. Now the lightweight and poor BC (.295) make it prone to wind drift/deflection but still its gotta be one of the flatter shooting combinations out of the 308.

Question is it worth trying and what are the limitations of this weight bullet on game?

I was thinking a cup and core 150-165 will lose approz 50% of its weight which means that it will end up weighing less than this 110TTSX assuming it retains the barnes typical 90-100% weight retention....

Barnes proponents always say go "light for caliber at warp speed"....and thats what this does for the 308win

thoughts on what size game you could take with this?

im thinking it would smack deer real good....

even @ 100 yards its still going over 3000 fps

Re: thoughts on 110 TTSX out of 308win

Should be fine for most hunting applications, but try it and let us know.

Buy a Box and Try'em. If they shoot well for you, then it will make a good Deer Zapper out to probably 400yds. I have not run the numbers, but would think it would fall off pretty quick past that.
I couldnt get good groups out of my 30-06 with them though, so I abandoned the idea and stuck with 150-165gr

Ive run the numbers on it compared to my 178 amax at 2610 fps and inside 400 yards it seems like a good load for whitetail. If you can get good accuracy at 3400 fps the cut the vertical drop in half, only give up 1/2 a min. wind drift at 10 mph crosswind, but does fall short in the energy department. At 200 my amax passes it and has the same energy at 500 yards the 110 barnes has at 400 so i would think its very suitable for deer. Now if I could get alliant 2000mr to group well with the heavy bullets it would be a much greater gap in energy and wind drift but since my gun doesn't like it that does me no good. It will drive my 178's up to just over 2800 with no pressure signs but accuracy was 1.5 moa.

I like the idea of the 130 ttsx around 3200 fps more.

I wish I could could get 3200.... With 48.5 of TAC I got 3040....

Tried varget couldn't get much more and case capacity ran out. Haven't tried RE-15 yet

Also energy is a question mark for as the ttsx will retain close to 100% weight and probably still out penetrate the 178 a-max.... That doesn't mean it will kill better but I'm just making the point that "energy" doesn't take bullet construction into consideration

That's correct if the amax hit the shoulder and failed it could deposit all its energy into muscle where the barnes would bore a hole through the vitals but if you shoot for lungs like me the amax would deposit its energy and shrapnel into vitals causing a larger permanent wound channel. Thats left up to the hunter and his personal ideas of what they prefer.

I have Google the 110 barnes performance in the past and some went to 130 and 150's because the bullets didnt exit as dependable in 110 gr weight. Google 308 110 gr ttsx deer hunting there is a little info out there but not much