• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on 155gr Lapua Scenar .308 bullets

MidwestPX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Kansas City
How do these bullets rank in terms of accuracy? Is there an appreciable difference between moly coated and uncoated?

Re: Thoughts on 155gr Lapua Scenar .308 bullets

I love'em.

I have tuned a load for my 308 and they give the best performance out to 1000. 300 Wby eats'em too.

There has been some chatter on Sierra coming out with an improved 155 that is supposed to rival the Laupua.

I don't care for moly.

my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stickboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love'em.

I have tuned a load for my 308 and they give the best performance out to 1000. 300 Wby eats'em too.

There has been some chatter on Sierra coming out with an improved 155 that is supposed to rival the Laupua.

I don't care for moly.

my 2 cents. </div></div>

Thanks for the input. What don't you like about the moly bullets?

i use scenars in my m1a, a 300wsm, and a 308 bolt gun as my target bullet of choice. i started w them in the m1a, found a load she liked, bought them in bulk, tryed them in my bolt guns, and never went back. yea, the wsm might benefit from a heavier bullet, but heck the scenars work well, and i prefer havin a minimal number of components i can use in multiple guns. in all my rifles the scenars arent picky about seating depth, a nice plus w the m1a, and loading rounds that will fit in the mags. they can be found from time to time at good prices.

i never messed w moly, seemed it was the rage years ago, but interest has seemed to peter out a bit. i know 1 guy who used moly, all he got was a decrease in velocity for a given load, no change in accuracy. he never felt he was able to clean all the moly from the gun and felt the rifle was never the same again. i dunno, im just not sure what the benefit is supposed to be

buy a box and givem a try. ny guess is youll be happy w them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: learjet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use scenars in my m1a, a 300wsm, and a 308 bolt gun as my target bullet of choice. i started w them in the m1a, found a load she liked, bought them in bulk, tryed them in my bolt guns, and never went back. yea, the wsm might benefit from a heavier bullet, but heck the scenars work well, and i prefer havin a minimal number of components i can use in multiple guns. in all my rifles the scenars arent picky about seating depth, a nice plus w the m1a, and loading rounds that will fit in the mags. they can be found from time to time at good prices.

i never messed w moly, seemed it was the rage years ago, but interest has seemed to peter out a bit. i know 1 guy who used moly, all he got was a decrease in velocity for a given load, no change in accuracy. he never felt he was able to clean all the moly from the gun and felt the rifle was never the same again. i dunno, im just not sure what the benefit is supposed to be

buy a box and givem a try. ny guess is youll be happy w them </div></div>

Yeah, I'm going to buy a box of the coated and the uncoated and see if there's a difference.

The smart people around here will say go naked, or go moly, but not both, moly has some negatives I don't like, and I have never shot a single moly coated round, but I do coat my 155 scenars with HBN, it has none of the negatives and is a better lube than moly, makes cleaning a breeze, I clean every 500 rounds. Moly Danzac, or HBN will require more powder to get the same fps. If your a hunter and want one single 155, go with the amax, they flat out kill, Scenars have a really thick jacket and don't expand. another 155 to think about would be the berger full bore.

Try a box, my trg22 does not shoot it's best with them. I guess mine in an anomaly, it doesen't like the holy grail of varget and scenars nearly as well as berger's and VVN 150.

Scenars are the shit!!! but Im getting sick and tired of them being out of stock everywhere!

Don't expect them to shoot great at 100yd, group them at 200-300 or farther before you give up.

Actually I find 155 Scenars to shoot better out of my gun at 100 yards that 168s or 175s. And they stay supersonic past 1,000.

The only downsides are wind susceptibility (vs 175s and 180s) and they are damn hard to find at the moment!

Looks like I have some experimenting to do. Either way, it'll be fun
laugh.gif

If you are going to try scenars then try the naked. DO NOT try and shoot naked then shoot a batch of moly. You really need to do a search on multiple shooting sites about moly/danzac/hBN. There is more to shooting moly then just loading the bullet and going "bang". Too many misconceptions. Moly does not "build up" in barrels due to it's own composition. Yes, it is attracted to metal (Steel/iron) but it fills in the voids and if you were to look at it under a microscope you would see that it shellates (stacks like shingles)on itself.Any overage will just blow out the barrel with no problem. It's the usual powder residue that can cause problems, IMO.

I have been using moly for over 15+ years and I use it because I have repeatability with my CBS. Have just started working with hBN and the major difference is that hBN isn't "dirty lookin" like moly. Both can be messy but hBN costs more !!

I get 5 shot groups in the .3" range at 100 yards with the 155 Scenars.

Will, what's hbn. Is it similar to the stuff that Barnes uses?

hexagonal Boron Nitride. It's the stuff David Tubb is now using. Slicker than moly leaves the bullet "Looking clean" but slightly dull. My problem is telling if I have got it impacted properly. I'm tempted to send 1K of my bullets to Tubb just so I have a reference to a properly impacted bullet.

Been thinking about trying scenars myself. Not much discussion here about jumping - specifically that they don't jump well. Based on an earlier thread and some mention above, I'm starting to think it's not that big a deal. Any comment??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting to think it's not that big a deal.</div></div>

Jumping the 155 Scenar is no big deal.

I follow the KISS principal and use only 155g Scenar or 175g SMK over Varget. To further this principal I use only .224 60g Sierra HP over Varget in my AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting to think it's not that big a deal.</div></div>

Jumping the 155 Scenar is no big deal. </div></div>

Well, the one rifle I *know* about tightened its groups by half with 155 Scenars, when jumping them about .10 or so as compared to .20+.

The rifle's owner is *not* thrilled about loading them to 3.00 or so OAL. If he wanted to long-load, he would have bought a long action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, the one rifle I *know* about tightened its groups by half with 155 Scenars, when jumping them about .10 or so as compared to .20+.</div></div>

I've had (3) .308 rifles that exclusively shot 155 Scenars. They were all factory Remington 700s, which all had a typical long Remington throat. They jumped the Scenar (atleast) .125" ... and all 3 rifles shot 1/2 MOA.

When my factory rifles shoot 1/2 MOA with good chrono numbers, I generally stop searching for the load. I've been lucky that all of my rifles have been able to do this at a COAL of 2.82". I'm not interested in single loading.

Are the Sierra 155 palma bullets close to the Scenars in performance? They list a slightly lower BC of .504 but cost a lot less. Has anyone tried them?

Sierra 155's are not as long as the Scenars, which are close to the length of the 190 Serria's. They have been used for years by High power shooters for shorter range 200 and 300 rapid strings. Try them in your rifle they may be fine. But, for longer ranges the Scenars will work better, if you load them fast.

Good luck

jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra 155's are not as long as the Scenars, which are close to the length of the 190 Serria's. They have been used for years by High power shooters for shorter range 200 and 300 rapid strings. Try them in your rifle they may be fine. But, for longer ranges the Scenars will work better, if you load them fast.

Good luck

jerry </div></div>

But is he talking about the new ones or old?

sierrapalma1.jpg

And over the last couple years I've noticed the tips of the Scenars have "opened up." I have some from a couple years ago and the tips are tighter than the recent ones I've seen. The claimed BC of the Scenar is a bit optimistic. I'm interested to see how the new SMK's perform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been thinking about trying scenars myself. Not much discussion here about jumping - specifically that they don't jump well. Based on an earlier thread and some mention above, I'm starting to think it's not that big a deal. Any comment?? </div></div>

I jump .010, IIRC Lapua recommends a 1 in 12 twist for the 155gr Scenars.

Scott

rksimple But is he talking about the new ones or old? [/quote said:
Ya, I was talking about the new palma's. I thought Natchez had them in stock but then I saw they were the old ones. Are the new ones available yet?

The last time I talked to my friend at Sierra, he said they hadnt even started running them on a press yet...

thoughts on loading .308 Lapua 155 scenars

Here is a link to a good thread talking about the new Sierra and Berger 115gr .308 bullets: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...7420#Post967420

Hi guys,
I'm new at your site and reading about reloading .308's with Lapua scenars.
We ( I ) shoot stand. rifle and free rifle 100 mtrs up to 1000 yards with F-class matches.

Stand. rifle is max. 5.5 kg with iron sights + triggerpull minimum 1,5 KG Min.
Free rifle = as you like but with iron sights.min.
F-class TR with a scope ( S&B 4-16X50 on my rifle)

Loading my rounds with VV N140 and VV N540

100 - 300 mtr. VV N140 - 41 grain for Lapua scenars
100 - 300 mtr VV N140 40 grain with SMK 168 Grain and Nosler 168 Grain.
groups are ca. 1/2 moa on 100 and 300 mtr.

F-class 600 - 1000 yards L. Scenar 155 with VV N540 - 45 Grain !! beware to start at ca. 44 GN. and slowly build up!!.

Barrel twist 1:12
Some say that the 175 and 180 Grain bullets are better on long distance.
That's not correct. You cannot push a 175 or 180 grain at speeds that will allow a lesser sidewind correction.
We have done tests, the 155 scenar is much! better with sidewinds - when loaded correct - from a 26"barrel keeping it faster than speed of sound at 1000 yards/meters.

In near future I will have a 30" barrel on my F-class rifle.
Hopefully I can help anybody in the states with this info.

Qua Patet Orbis