• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on 2 vets Tripod? arca rail, bag'n'more

Northtogladwin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
I'm ready to step into the tripod, arca, and bag game and 2 vets amd area 419 is looking like a solid option. I would go with really right stuff but I'm not a pro and don't see the advantage of having that guccie brand. Also getting into a bag too.

Anything you recommend around the price range would be listened to.

I have the Recon V2 with their 55mm ball head and Area 419 clamp. Zero complaints and really stable. Carried it for six days on an elk hunt last November and yea it has some weight to it but was not an issue. I don't have any experience with other tripod brands but don't regret anything of the purchase. I would have liked an Anvil for ease of use but wasn't able to find one at the time. Bag wise I run an Armageddon gear shmedium.

Attachments

• tripod 2.jpg
    tripod 2.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Tripod 3.jpg
    Tripod 3.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Tripod 1.5.jpg
    Tripod 1.5.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 63
QDT looks very stable. However, prepare yourself for a massive tripod. That doesn’t matter to some. It would be a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I use a recon v2 with 55mm bullhead and Are419 clamp and really like it. no complaints here

I'm ready to step into the tripod, arca, and bag game and 2 vets amd area 419 is looking like a solid option. I would go with really right stuff but I'm not a pro and don't see the advantage of having that guccie brand. Also getting into a bag too.

Anything you recommend around the price range would be listened to.
Thanks for the tag, @Nik H !

North - I do have a Two Vets tripod. The No Name model that they just discontinued recently in favor of other new models they released.

I got the No Name because of the removable bowl with standard photo interface (whatever that screw thread is 1/4-20, I think) so I could install their optional bowl with the RRS Anvil-30 interface (and indeed I do have an Anvil-30 on it).

They still do sell models that have replaceable bowls if you want the RRS interface for their ball heads.

I like my tripod and I like 2 Vets CS very much from my one experience with them. Just after getting my tripod, one of the leg sections stuck in an extended position. I contacted them via their contact form on their website and in a few hours I had a pre-paid shipping label to return it for repair/replacement. In about 3 business days it shipped back to me repaired (an internal guide came loose and Dan said he checked/replaced them all).

Everybody has products that break or a defective one gets through QA. IMO, key to how I view a vendor is their CS and Dan and Two Vets stood up strong and the tripod has been fine ever since. I have complete confidence that if I ever had another problem with the tripod that they would make it quickly right.

Now, understand that I'm 70, I don't compete with rifles, and I use my tripod mostly for spotting purposes and for some shooting clipped in or off a bag.

My point is that I'm not nearly as hard on a tripod as a guy shooting NRL Hunter type events, for example. And I too did not want to spend RRS money on a tripod.

Don't get me wrong...I shot competitive skeet for a very long time and if there was a product that shooters thought would get them even just one more target in a long weekend of shooting then their checkbooks came out no matter the cost. They wanted the best in all things even if it was just for peace of mind when competing. I understand that.

I think rifle competitors are the same and if I was competing I would have gone RRS. But I do not and the Two Vets is a very serviceable alternative and I'm happy with mine and the company.

Hope this was a bit helpful.

Reactions: Northtogladwin
I have the Recon V2 with their 55mm ball head and Area 419 clamp. Zero complaints and really stable. Carried it for six days on an elk hunt last November and yea it has some weight to it but was not an issue. I don't have any experience with other tripod brands but don't regret anything of the purchase. I would have liked an Anvil for ease of use but wasn't able to find one at the time. Bag wise I run an Armageddon gear shmedium.
Tha ks man that's awesome, hope you got one!

Thanks for the tag, @Nik H !

North - I do have a Two Vets tripod. The No Name model that they just discontinued recently in favor of other new models they released.

I got the No Name because of the removable bowl with standard photo interface (whatever that screw thread is 1/4-20, I think) so I could install their optional bowl with the RRS Anvil-30 interface (and indeed I do have an Anvil-30 on it).

They still do sell models that have replaceable bowls if you want the RRS interface for their ball heads.

I like my tripod and I like 2 Vets CS very much from my one experience with them. Just after getting my tripod, one of the leg sections stuck in an extended position. I contacted them via their contact form on their website and in a few hours I had a pre-paid shipping label to return it for repair/replacement. In about 3 business days it shipped back to me repaired (an internal guide came loose and Dan said he checked/replaced them all).

Everybody has products that break or a defective one gets through QA. IMO, key to how I view a vendor is their CS and Dan and Two Vets stood up strong and the tripod has been fine ever since. I have complete confidence that if I ever had another problem with the tripod that they would make it quickly right.

Now, understand that I'm 70, I don't compete with rifles, and I use my tripod mostly for spotting purposes and for some shooting clipped in or off a bag.

My point is that I'm not nearly as hard on a tripod as a guy shooting NRL Hunter type events, for example. And I too did not want to spend RRS money on a tripod.

Don't get me wrong...I shot competitive skeet for a very long time and if there was a product that shooters thought would get them even just one more target in a long weekend of shooting then their checkbooks came out no matter the cost. They wanted the best in all things even if it was just for peace of mind when competing. I understand that.

I think rifle competitors are the same and if I was competing I would have gone RRS. But I do not and the Two Vets is a very serviceable alternative and I'm happy with mine and the company.

Hope this was a bit helpful.
Solid insight, thank you for that

Solid insight, thank you for that
Oh, just a point of clarity...they do still make a No Name...its the V2. However, the new model of the No Name doesn't have a removable bowl. They re-positioned this product in their line by making a smaller center section for ease of rucking it (or that's how it seems to me).

Cheers

I have a two vets QDT. Solid piece, but it's long. Like dont ever plan on actually strapping it to your pack long. The build quality is good, I've tossed it around a good bit and it's still every bit as solid, leg locks are good, and minimal scratching. And that's in snow and blowing WY moon dust - quick wipe down of the legs and lockers is all I've ever done.

Spring for the RRS Anvil 30. I did. It's fantastic. Great for shooting from, not bad at all for glassing on. Worth the splurge IMHO.

Bags - I waited too long to get a schmedium heavy fill. If you're shooting comps, might as well get one now, otherwise you'll buy a couple other bags and still end up with a schmedium.

I jumped on the Two Vets bandwagon, with the Recon (V 1) ... and I'm personally regretting it.

Sure, it works, and is cheaper than RRS, but it feels 'chintzy' at times, is far heavier than other options, and I'm not a fan of buying PRC-made gear if there are other options.

I also told myself initially that I didn't need RRS ... and am now about to sell my Two Vets and save up for an RRS.

I jumped on the Two Vets bandwagon, with the Recon (V 1) ... and I'm personally regretting it.

Sure, it works, and is cheaper than RRS, but it feels 'chintzy' at times, is far heavier than other options, and I'm not a fan of buying PRC-made gear if there are other options.

I also told myself initially that I didn't need RRS ... and am now about to sell my Two Vets and save up for an RRS.
Thank you for that