• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on a 300 rum

jmontgomery

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
dexter mo
can someone give me your thoughts on a remington 300rum.I have a chance to buy one at a good price but dont know if it would be worth it to get and send to a smith for a total makeover.Is it a good long range caliber or is it not worth the thought.I will not be hunting with it just steel and paper. Thanks

can someone give me your thoughts on a remington 300rum.I have a chance to buy one at a good price but dont know if it would be worth it to get and send to a smith for a total makeover.Is it a good long range caliber or is it not worth the thought.I will not be hunting with it just steel and paper. Thanks

IMHO it is superior to the 300win mag at long range work. I am looking to do a .338 RUM myself. I think these do not get the respect because they are billed as hunting calibers, but they are great long range calibers.

The brass is pricey but not unobtainable. I also think they are great calibers. A lot of their negative views are from people who shouldn't own them. They bought a sps put a cheap scope on it took it to the range and it kicked the shit out of them. When they're intended use a 30-06 would have handled nicely. They are amazing long range cartridges. I have a ss 700 with 26" fluted mag contour barrel in an Alaskan ti takeoff that weighs 8lbs with a 4.5-14x40 LR leupold that will shoot .5-.75" @ 100 and a sendero that shoots better. Both 300 rum. Its bad marketing that's keeping them down. The 300 win mag and 338 lapua are known as the tactical cartridges and get hype. The 338 rum will run with a lapua and a 300rum will out shine a win mag. Just my $.02.

my view is 100+ grains of powder in each case! = more money to shoot.... good round if you "NEED" the power but not needed for just punching paper IMO