• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on a REM 700 XCR Long Tac.

Re: Thoughts on a REM 700 XCR Long Tac.

Very accurate out of the box. Barrel length is a matter of personal preference. Good trigger, smooth action.

With match grade ammo, you should be able to hit slightly sub MOA, or better if you are doing your part.

so would you buy it? Im Down here in AUS and its going to cost me $2200 AUD and im thinking about a 8x32x56 NF BR Illuminated Mil-dot.
Personally I thinks is pretty good for what we can get. but I would like to kno what you would do to it first in accurizing>?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stealth5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I would like to kno what you would do to it first in accurizing>? </div></div>

shoot it until the barrel is spent.

Can you get ahold of the 700P or sps tactical? If you can, save your money on the fancier rifles and get one of those. Spend your money on ammo and shoot the shit outta it! Nothing makes a rifle accurate like the shooter behind it, the only way to make the shooter better is practice. Any of these 3 rifles will probably outshoot you if you're a new rifle shooter (assumption, correct me if I'm wrong), and all 3 should shoot sub MOA or MOA out of the box especially with easy trigger adjustments. IMO the 8-32x scope may be a tad much magnification, I think others will agree... The NF is a great choice, but to really specify what will the purpose of this rifle be? 1000yds? Prairie dogs? (don't even know if they have them in Aus!).... fill us in on your goals and use of this rifle and I'm sure you'll get much more helpful info, but I don't think the money for that rifle will be justified for you.

I just went through this thought process and here's what I came up with. Short version is I don't think they are worth the $. That said I don't know how things are priced in AU, or how hard they are to get.

Around here either XCR tactical (LR or Compact) is about $1200. On the plus side they have the 40x trigger which is nicer than the X-pro. The stainless receiver is fine, but I don't really see any advantage. I like the stock on the LR, but I like the barrel length/weight on the compact better. To me the compact stock is a joke, the forearm is way too short to shoot in any position other than prone. The studs are just way too far back with a bipod and sling on it there's no where left for your hand. Also the cheek piece on either stock is way too low to be effective with an optic.

Why is it rifle manufacturers all produce cheek pieces that are way too low to use with a scope? Now if remington had done a 20" barrel XCR with the longer XCR stock, 40x trigger, and either a higher comb or adjustable cheek piece for $1200 they'd have really done something.

That said for $600 or less you can get essentially the same gun (VTR,SPS, etc), minus the stock and 40x trigger. You can get any number of nice triggers for $150, or a tuned remington for half that. You can order the bell & carlson stock that the XCR uses for just over $200. That gets you an "XCR" for under $900. Or you can kick in more for a mcmillan or manners stock and set up one of those for a couple hundred dollars more than the XCR costs stock.

I've been lurking here for months, and haven't posted because I haven't felt as though I've had anything insightful to offer. I have both the SPS Tactical in .223 and the XCR Compact Tactical in .308.

I've had the SPS Tactical since May '08. It sits in a B&C Light Tactical Stock (I had an HS Precision Police Sniper stock but sold it because I didn't care for the palm swell).

No modifications to the SPS other than a Badger bolt handle and X-Mark trigger adjusted down to @2.5 pounds. I'm new to shooting (the SPS was my first rifle), but I have no complaints about the X-Mark trigger.

My SPS shoots 5 shot groups of .5 MOA all day long with occasional .300 groups.

My rifle really likes the 52gr Sierra Match King on 26gr of H335 in Lapua brass with CCI primers. COL is 1.880 when measured with a bullet comparator (this gives .020 of jump by the way).

I just got my XCR last week. I went to the range last weekend, but it was snowing so hard, I didn't do anything other than boresight it at 25 yards.

Comparisons and Observations:

Fit and finish of the XCR is far superior to the SPS. The stainless steel barrel and action with the TriNyte coating is very nice.

The bolt is actually jeweled (with the TriNyte), and the action is very very smooth.

The 40-X trigger is outstanding and easily adjustable with the action in the stock. I set mine at @1.75 pounds.

The XCR shot 1 hole groups at 25 yards while I was zeroing my scope. I realize this isn't saying much, but I have no doubt this rifle will be as accurate as my SPS.

So, the SPS with B&C stock is @$800.00 ($600.00 rifle and $200.00 stock).

The XCR cost me $1200.00, which is @$400.00 more than a comparably equipped SPS.

Is a better trigger, stainless steel action and barrel, jeweled bolt, and TriNyte finish worth $400.00??

To me, yes. In fact, if I could do it over, and buy my .223 in the XCR, I would.

Good luck with your decision.

Matt

thanks guys for all your feed back its great to get an insite from people in the know, as mentioned by goose boy, yes i am new to high caliber shooting, but that is why i tried to buy the best i could first time around. And yes i understand that buying a sps an doing all those mods to it will give me a gun of same accuracy/ quality, but down here to do any mods to your rifle is just plain outright a hassle with the firearms dept. I have read that the SPS is a great rifle, but i kinda didn't want to do so much work to it. Goose boy the main reason that i want a 8x32x56 is that i intend on doing f-class shooting, I know that most of you mil spec guys are'nt too keen on the idea of magnifications over say 16x, but i can always lower it when i need, I made my choice in a NF from all the feed back from this forum which i appreciate.

I'll second what MJM said. I've loved my XCR Tact. since I got it a year ago. Don't hang around this site too long though, or you'll think you NEED a McMillan stock and loads of other shit. Just pick up that XCR and shoot the M'fer. You'll love the trigger, it's easily adjustable, has no creep or discernable travel. The trynite finish is outstanding. I tried to take some of it off(under the action) w/ brake cleaner and it just changed color slightly. My .300 WM came w/ a 1 in 10 twist, which I wanted. It also came w/ a Limbsaver recoil pad(although it says Remington on it). The stock is light and has two sling swivel studs up front. When I saw it in the Rem. catalog, I had to have one. Had a hell of a time finding it though. I'd say it's worth the money, but that's probably because I already laid down the cash. Here it is about a year ago. It now wears a NightForce, MCM stock, Badger everything else. I kinda miss this rifle....
IMG_5940.jpg

Has anyone had a chance to weigh an XCR long tactical? I know the catalog lists them at 8.5lbs but in handling a couple I always thought that they felt heavier than that spec.

IF YOU ARE A NEW SHOOTER I WOULD GO SMALLER CAL. WITH LARGER CALS THERE IS MORE RECOIL AND MORE RECOIL TENDS TO MAKE BAD HABBITS..DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE , DRY FIRE!!!! LEARN YOUR RIFLE!! TRIGGER, CHEAK WELD, AND GOOD FORM IS A MUST. LEARN TO READ THE WIND. IT'S NOT SITTING DOWN AND SHOOTING THAT COUNTS ITS SITTING DOWN AND HITTING WHAT YOU AIM AT THAT COUNTS...GOOD LUCK