• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on first rifle/son's

Ron Long

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Washington
I have been reading this forum for over two years. I looked hard at all of the threads prior to purchasing my son's rifle last year. He wanted a 5R Remington, however we decided (me) on a Savage 10FCP LE HS in 308. I am not new to shooting and have several really nice all purpose rifles. He has access to Rem 700 in 300 WM and M-70 308, LSA-55 in 6mm. In all he really wanted a "black" rifle. He has had the Savage for over a year and I have shot it more than he has. His complaint is, it's too heavy, not what I thought I wanted. It is heavy with the Millett TRS-1 4-16 and the bi-pod. He is now shooting a Tikka T-3 Lite in .243 and he loves it. He is now into coyote hunting and I shoot the Savage. I get the crap at the range because all the LE people want to know what I am doing with a sniper rifle. His Tikka shoots as well to 500 as the Savage, then my hand loads start to make a difference, 178's. He is just getting into loading and load development. My point is some people have a romantic view of long range shooting and what is required. I shoot his T-3 with his SS 3x9x40 as well as the Savage. It is pleasant to carry and shoot and doesn't attract attention at the range. Just my thoughts..

Re: Thoughts on first rifle/son's

My son is 5. His first center fire rifle is currently being sent in to build.

Bartlein Heavy Target straight taper finish @ 22" 1/7.7 to run 80G Amaxs with a S.A.S. thread over brake.
S.A.S. suppressor.
Trued action
Hubar 2 stage set @ 2#
Whiskey 3 chassis
Atlas bi-pod.

Hey I never said he would be able to carry it. I'll carry it into position for him.

If you think this is funny. Consider I don't even have a custom rifle myself. I shoot 175SMK's out of a sps tac in a Manners T5.

+1 For Boone. THATS WHAT DADS ARE FOR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll carry it into position for him.

</div></div>

Uh huh....just make sure you don't shoot it for him...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbledroptine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boone are u adopting </div></div>

CRAP, you beat me to it.