• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on IMR-3031

MrMike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Port Clyde, Maine
I'm new to reloading so please excuse the stupid questions. I have a remington 700 sps tactical and I am looking at using Sierra 168gr Match king HPBTs. Most of my shooting will be around 3 or 400 yards (wish I had more room).

I was wondering what your thoughts were on IMR-3031. I'm sure in time I'll end up trying different powders but this particular one was recommended to me by a friend who shoots match. Its what he uses.

I would just like some thoughts on this powder, or others that you all use and what attracts you to that particular powder.

thanks
Mike

Re: Thoughts on IMR-3031

IMR4895 and IMR4064 seem to work better with the 168 gr. than IMR 3031. IMR4064 worked best for me and I also found Nosler CC to be better than Sierra MK.

3031 is a bit fast for optimal 168gr, but these days with almost everything is hard to get, you could use it but you won't be getting top velocities. Work up slowly and cautiously since it can build pressure fast.

As other stated, some slower powders: 4895, Varget, 4064, R15 are better powders. Currently rather difficult to find in stock.

Thanks for the info guys. I have been struggleing with a powder that will run my 308 and 223, there are a couple that cross over. In the 308 I am of course looking for the best results, the 223 not so much.

According to Sierra I can use both the 4064 and 4895 for the 223 and 308.

I've had some good results with 3031 in a .223, but you'll never hear anyone going on and on about how great it meters. If you're anal about getting your charge weights as exact as you possibly can 3031 (or most IMR powders for that matter) can be a little time consuming to load. I think they're making it in a short cut version now to make it easier to run through a powder measure, but I don't have any experience with it.

H-335 meters like a dream.

I like standardization, but I was unable to find one powder for both .223 and .308 that gave optimum results. Ended up with H4895 for .223 and IMR4895 for .308.

3031 which I have lots of just won't cut it against these two so it will be used for cast bullet loads.

Sherlok

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had some good results with 3031 in a .223, but you'll never hear anyone going on and on about how great it meters. If you're anal about getting your charge weights as exact as you possibly can 3031 (or most IMR powders for that matter) can be a little time consuming to load. I think they're making it in a short cut version now to make it easier to run through a powder measure, but I don't have any experience with it.

H-335 meters like a dream. </div></div>

The guy who has been helping me out shot 3031 match and recomended that I tirckle each load any way to keep things tight. I did end up getting 2 lbs of 3031, but as time goes on that may change. The 308 is where I want my accuracy, the .223 dosnt matter so much really so as long as it goes bang and shoots as good as this junk I have been shooting lately it wont matter much.

I did jot down all the powders you guys have mentioned and would be willing to try each one of them out as time goes on. I thank you all much for your input. Starting out is a little intimating, not because of the reloading part, but there are so many choices out there, its hard to know where to start.

lumpy grits said:
Hi, WW748 & H335 work for both too. Plus they meter real nice.
Respectfully,

I would give 748 a try as well, I have had great luck with this powder in my 308 and several 223s.

If your going to load for both 308 and 223 I would look at TAC and VARGET down the road. TAC meters better for me but VArget shoots better in my 223. Both are very accurate and work for a wide sellection of bullet weights.

IMR-3031 does not give the velocity of some other powders but with 168s it does provide really good accuracy. I never saw a 308 that did not give great accuracy with somewhere between 37 and 39 grains of IMR-3031.