• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on mossberg mvp .223 predator

M4sniperz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2014
Just wondering if you guys think this is a good buy.and what experiences you have with it.

It is a good deal if you understand it is a dead end as far as aftermarket support and goodies. Me personally, I like them and understand I would not expect it to shoot with GAP or Long Rifles Inc. guns. But it would be in my truck and probably shot more often just because. Put a $300-500 scope on it and shoot the snot out of it.

If I was looking for a cheap disposable rifle to burn the shit out of on a prairie dog town and give no fucks about barrel heat I would consider one. Other than that not a chance. I know a couple people who have gotten them and said the accuracy was poor. They also don't exactly scream quality either.

I have had the 18.5" 5.56 MVP Predator for about 3 weeks. My experience is with a couple custom rifles and some factory Remingtons. I picked it up at a pawn shop as a fun gun and so far I have been having fun with it.

There are areas that Mossberg cut corners but it isn't a complete turd. The AR magazine feature is the best thing about it and works really well. If it wasn't for this I would have bought another Remington, probably an SPS Tactical. Trigger is not that good, and as much tuning as I have tried, it is still creepy and probably 3 lbs. I think the barrel is decent quality but the action, while being Remington-esque, is really sloppy. The gun seems to heat up pretty easily and impacts start changing but if I take my time on the bench it will shoot 5-shots under an inch including the cold bore shot. That is perfectly fine for what I wanted to do with it which is practice and shoot heavier bullets than my 1:12 twist Remington 223.

The mediocre trigger and the lightweight gun requires good form so I figure if I can master this, I can master anything.

How would you compare the accuracy of a remington 700 to a mossberg mvp?

How would you compare the accuracy of a remington 700 to a mossberg mvp?

My older Remington 700 VS will shoot .25" 5-shot groups with a 40 grain Vmax at 3550 FPS. Another that I had in 6mm Remington shot close to 1/2 MOA but a friend spent a ton of cash last year on a new 5R in 223 and it wouldn't shoot any better than the MVP. They are factory built guns so you can't expect the world.

The nice part about the Remington is that the action is smoother, and the huge amount of aftermarket support. I think eventually there will be more support for the MVP, and already someone is making barrels for them, but it is going to take a while.

Check out the Tikka's while you are shopping around. They are supposed to shoot very well for the money spent.

A customer returned an mvp the other day citing poor accuracy..... 12" at 100 yards to be specific . Brought the target in and everything. I ask him if he changed anything on the rifle? He says not really, just put on this flash hider/compensator on. Can clearly see copper streaking on the inside of the comp haffle. Took comp off gun and noticed bore not concentric to the barrel. In addition, the bolt design feels way cheap and not smooth at all. Not impressedat all.

They also don't exactly scream quality either.

I agree.

I had the 24" Varmint version for a few weeks. Accuracy was around moa (or slightly better) with handloads. While the compatibility with AR-15 mags is a neat feature, it will also limit your handload COL. The hinged bolt face does not inspire confidence, neither in appearance or "feel" during use.

I'm much happier with the Rem 700 Tactical that replaced it, though the cost is certainly higher with an aftermarket stock and DBM.

Don't own one but sighted in a buddies last week. It was alright. Didn't want to feed sometimes. Pmags seemed to work better. It was ok in accuracy good fun gun for sure.

Here are some groups that I shot yesterday using 69 grain Barnes Match Burners and Reloder 15.

6 shots at 100 yards, bipod and rear bag-
mvpt1.jpg

5 shots at 100 yards, bipod and rear bag-
mvpt2.jpg

Measured without the cold bore shot-
mvpt2_nocold.jpg

I took my time and each string was shot over a 3-4 minute period. Temperature was 90 degrees and climbing, and wind was a light gust.
177 rounds since purchase and I have yet to clean it.

One thing I noticed is that the plastic trigger guard is starting to crack where the action screw goes through it. All I have used is a screwdriver with an allen bit to tighten the screws so either I am really strong or the guard is weak. :rolleyes:

Picture of gun with Vortex HS-T scope:
mvp2.jpg

I have $850 into the entire setup. It isn't as smooth and accurate as my custom built Remington based 6x47 Lapua but I can throw this gun on the backseat and take it to the range for a quick, cheap, practice session. The west desert coyotes should be scared. :cool: