• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on new Nightforce NX8 models?

darth_ritis

money hater
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO

Any industry insiders have any thoughts to offer before these are released? I'm eyeing this to grace the top of my Vudoo and thinking it seems perfect - change my mind.

Reactions: Baer45
    I am looking at both of them when I have some money. My fear also is if I buy one now, they will come out with an ATCR model (better glass) right after my check is cashed...otherwise it looks like they have hit a home run. Essentially it is the size of a S&B Ultra Short with first plane reticle and great magnification ranges and almost half the Street price...the 2.5x20x50 is only 12 inches!

Now im no industry professional or anything. And I haven't seen the new NX8s in person or anything but the specs appear great.. Especially for a 22lr Vudoo type build with the 11y to infinity parallax.

With ultra short design and 8x erector, I'm sure there is a lot of glass work inside, with that short a body, the lenses have to be in exact position to get a good image, think the March 3-24x42 models. I'm sure the parallax will be sensitive as it is on 95% short length high mag range optics. I pre-ordered the 4-32x50 hoping it performs great in the 4-26x range as I will imaging the upper 20% of mag will be dark and impractical for most shooting situations, another negative with short high mag range ffp optics. My fingers are crossed that all my fears aren't there in these scopes, however I have already come to terms and accept the possible short comings of the design and will make it work as a long range hunting optic.
    Agree with this and excited to try one myself on a hunting gun.

I am going to wait for some reviews before I order. I think the 20x might pair very well with the APO Snipers Hide Rifle...

I won't be in the market this year, but #1 shooting buddy is and for our use cases, the 2.5-20x looks good.

Use cases:
    01 - 100yds dots and groups
    02 - WInd practice 500-1400yds
    03 - Hunting 100-500yds

The 2.5x is good for hunting
    The 20x is good for dots
    10x-15x good for wind practice

11.9 inches length supports the SIMRAD

... just waiting on more reticles ...

I am looking at both of them when I have some money. My fear also is if I buy one now, they will come out with an ATCR model (better glass) right after my check is cashed...otherwise it looks like they have hit a home run. Essentially it is the size of a S&B Ultra Short with first plane reticle and great magnification ranges and almost half the Street price...the 2.5x20x50 is only 12 inches!

They just released the other 4-16 model a few months ago.

I think this is going to come down to glass quality. If the glass is not better than the mark 5 I will take the mark 5.

Reactions: Baer45
    Got to get behind both models and send some rounds down range a couple months back. I was very skeptical at first, but honestly they were pretty awesome. Glass is somewhere between the NXS and ATACR. Reticle is basically a plex at the lowest end, but other than that it's very usable and it's not over-intrusive at the higher end. Resolution and color transmission is really good as well. All in all, I think NF kind of hit a home run with this one. I'm eager to see how the community responds.

Below was initial take on them, should have a demo unit shortly to stretch out...I know the term game-changer is overused, but I believe this will be one of them - these scopes have a ton going for them: NX8 OVERVIEW: Specs/pics/ETA

Jason

Got to get behind both models and send some rounds down range a couple months back. I was very skeptical at first, but honestly they were pretty awesome. Glass is somewhere between the NXS and ATACR. Reticle is basically a plex at the lowest end, but other than that it's very usable and it's not over-intrusive at the higher end. Resolution and color transmission is really good as well. All in all, I think NF kind of hit a home run with this one. I'm eager to see how the community responds.

A useable plex on the low end is not bad at all. I’ve found most .2 mil hold reticles aren’t useful above 10-12X, but if the reticle is thick enough to work as a plex below that, I’m happy.

I think they are going to be an extremely competitive option that may create a new tier level in optics. Time will tell of course.

I’m pretty excited about them for a hunting setup. I’ve preordered the 2.5-20. Still eager to see some hands on reviews

I’m pretty excited about them for a hunting setup. I’ve preordered the 2.5-20. Still eager to see some hands on reviews
    Hopefully you share your experience with it once it arrives. I’m wondering how it would compare to the 4-16 ATACR.

Below was initial take on them, should have a demo unit shortly to stretch out...I know the term game-changer is overused, but I believe this will be one of them - these scopes have a ton going for them: NX8 OVERVIEW: Specs/pics/ETA

Jason

Are you able to confirm what reticle will be available?
    I've seen and read very different things, all from reliable sources.
    Hoping for the Mil-XT.

Are you able to confirm what reticle will be available?
    I've seen and read very different things, all from reliable sources.
    Hoping for the Mil-XT.
    I thought it was just MilC and MOAR maybe MilR? Definitely the first too. Later I’m sure we’ll see more. I agree hopefully MilXT.

I thought it was just MilC and MOAR maybe MilR? Definitely the first too. Later I’m sure we’ll see more. I agree hopefully MilXT.

I'd read it was just MOAR and MilR to start, but Nightforce Australia/New Zealand showed a picture with MOAR, MilC, MilXT and Tremor3 available.

Guess will have to wait and see.

I'd read it was just MOAR and MilR to start, but Nightforce Australia/New Zealand showed a picture with MOAR, MilC, MilXT and Tremor3 available.

Guess will have to wait and see.
    That would be extremely rude of Nightforce to split up reticles across the globe like that. ?