• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on NF SHV vs Leupold VX5HD

mfloski

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2017
Both have side focus.
Leupold is 3-15x44
NF is 2-10x42
Both are right at 20oz (this is for a “lightweight” mountain “elk” hunting rifle, so weight is key!)
Leupold has zero locking elevation turret, NF is capped
Both are right around 900.00

Leupold wins on paper in almost every category, so why would I consider the NF. Well, I have first hand experience with the ruggedness/durability of the NF in the mountains, and have first hand experience of their highly repeatable and reliable tracking. I don’t have either with Leupold (I don’t own any currently). I have seen NF dropped hard and never lose zero, I have cranked on the dials all day and never have a tracking issue. If I thought that VX5 would offer the same, I wouldn’t hesitate to go with it for the extra mag range and zero locking turret. What does everyone think?

I have the VX5HD and I think it is an awesome scope...lightweight, clarity to me is awesome. I have the fire dot duplex so when hunting I think it will come in handy. The light transmission is also great. Top that with the free custom dial once you find a load it likes you will be all set.

3A140E5E-D8CB-4065-9D4A-92FBFA356B6F.jpeg

Reactions: stello1001
I have the SHV4-14 F1 MILR on a hunting rig and have not found fault with it to date. Rides in a hard case on the front of my quad with me sticking the spurs to it in the desert mountains. I purchased it for durability that has proven out in my opinion.

Ill essentially copy my earlier post:

For a hunting rifle the leupold VX5 and VX6 HD are a great choice. The CDS is a nice touch and since you get one free its a no brainer. I currently have a VX3 i on my 300 win mag, a VX5 HD on my AR10 and a VX6HD on my 6mm creedmoore. All have been tested for tracking and repeatability and all have done well. Reticles are level and the optics are very clear, the 5&6 are an obvious step up from the VX3. I could have been lucky with these three or leupod may have put a little more effort into tracking and reticles lately. I used to have a NXS 5.5-22 x56 on my 6mm but it was just too heavy and large for the rest of the rifle so I put the leupold VX6HD on there. I will say when comparing the vx6 and the older NXS the leupold was sharper and more clear. The NXS was more durable no doubt as it felt like it too but i was impressed with the clarity of the leupold.

I really like my VX5-HD. However, I am contemplating selling it so I can purchase a can. Really nice glass but its sitting on an old 30-06 rifle that I never use. I also have the firedot reticle. Nice scope.