• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on rubber bolt knobs?

Sffred

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2017
Anyone had any first hand experience on rubber bolt knobs? Pros and cons to this?

I have a tikka T3X CTR and would like the Australian tikka logo (orange logo on black) version but it would be like ~$60 USD shipped. So I might just get the hornady one for <$20 shipped just to try out.

Attachments

• 99471CC4-14CA-41D1-B676-3CD5E7F50C91.png
    99471CC4-14CA-41D1-B676-3CD5E7F50C91.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 138
  • DB86786A-037B-4F95-9ABD-FAFA2519766F.png
    DB86786A-037B-4F95-9ABD-FAFA2519766F.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 137
Toys r us tactical super ball drilled and tapped. My vote would be no. No offense.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
$20 is ammo I'd rather have, otherwise I'd rather have wood or Delrin/Nylon/Micarta/G10 than rubber unless it was the cheapest thing ever.

Okay it was just a thought.
Which would you choose...

Glades armory swept back (cheapest)
Anarchy Outdoors (mid priced)
Sterk swept back (highest price and back ordered)

I think price is less of a issue than what you want that fits your needs. I'm not familiar with any of the above but if it works for you have at it.
Trying some will be the deciding factor. You wouldn't be the first person to buy and change it is (law of the land) unless you personally try it on the same rifle with the same scope
How will you know? I have boxes of stuff that I thought would be perfect.

I've got the Tikka rubber knob on my T1x and it is well worth the 20NZD I paid.

The rubber "sticks" to your fingers making it easier to run the bolt quickly and the bigger size helps woth grabbing it.

Used it for a few practical 22lr matches and it's definitely an advantage.
Sterk swept handle would likely be better but a lot more expensive, for me anyway.

Reactions: carbonbased
Forget all that half assed crap and get a Sterk, other than that, leave it be.

Anyone had any first hand experience on rubber bolt knobs? Pros and cons to this?

I have a tikka T3X CTR and would like the Australian tikka logo (orange logo on black) version but it would be like ~$60 USD shipped. So I might just get the hornady one for <$20 shipped just to try out.
Why not? Rubber grips on pistols, right? If it works, who cares what anyone says.

I have one of these. It's great, but it's not supposed to cost $20. More like $5. It's just a piece of grippy rubber, don't get a brand name bolt knob.

I love them too. No waiting or fooling around. If my factory bolt knobs just screwed off, maybe it would be a different story.

However, even if I could screw off my stock bolt knobs (I can’t, obv) and replace them with bigger steel ones, I was just out in 27F weather and man, it was pleasant to touch rubber vs steel.

I’ve tried the Hornady Bolt Ball, the silicone one on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NJJQFM6) and the Tourbon small/big double pack (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011ILQXMS) on Amazon. For all guns, I preferred the bigger balls (jesus) over the small ball.

For my CZ 455, the silicone one was best (although I didn’t try the Hornady one on it) because I could move it around a bit so the bolt fully closed. My CZ 527 and Rem 700s work best with the big Tourbon, as it has the smallest entry hole, making it really seize tight. The little Tourbon wasn’t ideal for any of my guns, and they don’t sell just the big one separately. The small one has a bigger entry hole than the big one!

I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere.

The silicone one and the bigger Tourbon are approximately the same size. The Hornady is a wee smaller.

Biggest $ to performance ratio I’ve added to my guns.

All of them make operating the bolt so much smoother, faster, and more satisfying.

Last edited:
Reactions: beetroot