• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on savage 243 build

KLambert05

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
United States
I already own a savage model 12 btcss which is a 22-250 with a 26" stainless barrel and a laminate thumb hole stock. The gun no longer serves it's purpose and I am looking into having it rebarreled into a 243 with either an 18 or 22" #5 contour Schillen match grade barrel. Eventually I will throw an xlr carbon stock on it but for now I am either Going to keep the stock or see about a take off precision carbine stock (I really like these just don't know how hard they would be to get).

This will be a truck Gun for up at the ranch. My longest shot is 600 yards. Most shots will be at pigs or varmints 200-400 yards.

My questions: should I try to find a pc take off stock and if so, where would I find one. And what do tall think, 18 or 22 inches on the barrel, I would rather the shorter barrel if it will meet my performance needs.

I think the PC stock is just a regular Accu-stock with the Accurate bottom metal. You can buy the bottom metal at Brownells. Unless you get the folder XLR chassis I wouldn't consider that a "truck gun". Maybe just get a B&C stock for $250 and add the shorter barrel, then you'll have a truck gun. Make sure to get a 8 twist so you can shoot the 105s. Love the .243

As stated above the 8 twist will give you what you want and even at 18 inches you are still getting a good rotation on the projectile.

In the middle of a 243 build my self on a R700 action.

Sierracharlie out....

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've shot lots of .243's and loved them but never owned one. So my 22-250 has run its course and i was trying to sell it but then figured why sell it when I love the action and trigger that it has already. And eventually it will have one of the carbon xlr folding stocks on it, but funds do not allow for that for now. So i figure at least rebarreling and throwing a cheap stock on it will give me a fun shooter until I can finish it out.