• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on scope choices

Creedmoor87

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2019
Missouri
Hello Sniper hide,

I’m a new member here, going through all the information here. Seems you guys knowyour stuff, and I’m currently in process switching out stuff for my RPR 6.5 Cm as it’s easily my favorite gun. One thing I’m wanting to do is get a new scope for it. My budget is limited so NF, Kahles, TT , S&B or any brand alike are out of the question currently as recently I found out my dad has cancer so my spare/ play money is going be limited as I will use it to help my parents if needed. Currently selling my AR-10 6.5 cm to fund most of this then will save when I can for rest of it.

Anyways scope choices

1st: https://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-optics-diamondback-tactical-6-24x50-ffp-rifle-scope-moa
Vortex known brand, and leave me little extra cash

Rest are Athlon scopes, as it’s brand I kept seeing popping up around here. Now I’m kind of the fence about Athlon as my dad bought this one https://athlonoptics.com/product/argos-btr-10-40x50-blr/. We took out couldn’t get to zero at 100, and dad was having issues with reticle disappearing at low mag range. He thought it was because of his old guy eyes, so I got behind it was having same issues. So thought because it bit cloudy/foggy out but my 6.5 scope and 10 yr old scope on my dads 7 mag had no issues in the weather conditions. So don’t know what deal was maybe it’s a dud. Anyways not going write them off yet.

2nd: https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...dc23-0135-d8ef-00163e90e196?variation=1677944
Price is within my budget will leave me little extra money,

3rd: https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...9b1c-0135-02e8-00163ecd2826?variation=1614613
Pushing my budget a little but doable

4th: https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...583e-0136-ed89-00163e90e196?variation=1796205
Maxing my budget I will have save little extra to get this one

I’m wanting something in the 20-30 mag, good glass (ED glass on the ares is appealing ) good turrets/tracking, as Im hoping to be shooting 1k yard range soon as it drys up here little more and wanting scope will last me awhile that will do everything I need or want until I’m in position possibly buy a TT, NF and etc range scope.

I would say say get one of the Ares models. The BTR was on sale last month for the same price as the Midas. I would call Doug at Cameraland. He is the hook up for Athlon.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Yea I saw $589 I believe but I have missed the sell sadly ended on the 31st and looking hard at the Ares models

It seems like budget really matters. So given that, I'd probably go with the Midas TAC. I personally have an issue spending $1200 on a chinese scope (Ares ETR), although it does get fantastic reviews. If I'm spending that much, I'm probably going with an SWFA HD or a Cronus, although there are reasons I don't love both of them (SWFA only goes to 20x and has a dated reticle, Cronus turrets suck and the parallax can be finnicky).

You're getting close to Delta Stryker price range, and it blows all of those out of the water. But since it seems like money is pretty important, I'd go with the Midas TAC and be done with it. It gets great reviews and leaves money in your pocket for the important stuff (ammo to practice with).

ETA: missed the family stuff earlier - definitely go with the midas TAC and save the rest for the even more important part. Forget what i said about ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
I too would go for the Midas btr. It will do what you need it to do and it will save you money.

I have two diamondbacks (4-16X) on gas guns. One in 308 the other in 223wylde and the ares btr (4.5-27X) on a 308 bolt gun.
Glass clarity would go to the ares. Both have a similar reticle.
Turret feel is a wash, they both feel the same to me. Not overly crisp but not complete mush either.
Turret travel per rotation, diamondback 12moa vs 25moa on ares plus the ares has a hard zero stop
Magnification adjustment on the diamondback is a little more stiff than on the ares.
Diamondback comes with sunshade and rubber bikini covers. Ordered sunshade with the ares (doug has best price on that as well).
Ordered butler creek caps for the ares size 19 and 40.
If I were buying and between the two on your list I have experience with I would pick the ares btr

I have a new Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 and it was easy to zero. So, you might check your mount/rings etc.

The reticle is very thin and has a floating center dot and if there is glare (it doesn't come with a sun shade but I never run a scope without one) you might lose the reticle in the glare. I have had no problems but then again I'm running a sun shade on mine.

For me the Athlon Argos BTR is just slightly inferior to the Vortex Golden Eagle which was my first choice but I just could not justify spending $1400 ish on a scope when the Athlon offering is literally 90% in terms of glass/image quality and I could literally buy 3 Athlon Argos BTR's for the price of one Vortex Golden Eagle. It's better but by a small percentage - not 3X!

So far I have not been disappointed or even less than thrilled with my Athlon. Tracks perfectly...like all of the budget high magnification optics the image quality gets a little soft at the extreme high end of the magnification (above 35X) but the Golden Eagle and Night Force offerings did the same to a lesser degree.

Talk to Doug at Camera Land NY.

VooDoo

Patriot, yes currently budget is important but once things get better with my dad ( which we got some good news today so that’s a plus) Then I will be looking towards buying $2k + scope for my rifle.

Voodoo, I thought that too so I checked the mount with my torx wrench and they was all tight. Now thin reticle with no sun shade could be the issues on reticle disappearing. Going shooting again in few weeks going to take it, and play with it more to see what happens.

Anyways decided between these.two. Once I sell my AR so once I do that, Doug I will be calling about these two scopes.

Midas Tac
Ares BTR

This may come down to the way I normally do, when I can’t decide on something...which is flipping a coin lol

And Thank you for the kind words about my family

Creed
I'm like that too
It took me over 3 months to decide what scope to get
In the end I went with the Athlon cronus
I got it from Cameraland and it was supposed to be here today but it will be Thursday instead
Doug or Joel will take care of you
They did for me

Think I’m leaning towards Midas Tac due to the reticle choices. Mainly this one due as it simpler looking.

As the Ares BTR has the “Christmas tree” reticle, look going on. Thinking my eyes won’t like it to much.

Attachments

• 7BE7112B-FAFE-4591-9D0A-2A9F05A636F0.jpeg
    7BE7112B-FAFE-4591-9D0A-2A9F05A636F0.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP, my only comment would be that if you ever think you would like holding over and off in the reticle, the all .2 mil reticle in the Ares BTR excels for that purpose. That's the main attribute of tree reticles, holding over and off, especially if it's windy and you don't have time to dial.

I would never call the turret feel in the Ares poor. Good, just not great, although the TAC turrets feel better to me.

Reactions: 260284
If you can wait just a few weeks, the Meopta Optik 6 will be out and they sound amazing.

Wade2big, looks like a nice scope but you probably won’t have it by the time I get the money from my sell, plus don’t think I can buy from marketplace here yet not enough post.

Kickin, I have looked at the Meopta Optika 6, they looking really interesting and good. I don’t know about the company nor can I find any confirmed release time.

Last edited:
Wade2big, looks like a nice scope but you probably won’t have it by the time I get the money from my sell, plus don’t think I can buy from marketplace here yet not enough post.

Kickin, I have looked at the Meopta Optika 6, they looking really interesting and good. I don’t know about the company nor can I find any confirmed release time.
I was just throwing it at you. Lol. You can purchase from the marketplace you just cant sell. Even if you arent interested in my scope,take a look around you may find something you like and save some money doing it.

I look at every scope as a potential hand-me-down. That way if I decide I need something better later, I can swap things around a little instead of wind up with an expensive orphan scope.

Since you don't really know what you want next, I think that's a good strategy.

Yea I saw $589 I believe but I have missed the sell sadly ended on the 31st and looking hard at the Ares models
get an ares ETR. I just recently got one and compared it side by side with my gen2 razorHD and the clarity is far superior on the ares at 2000 yards. I have been nothing but impressed and happy with my ETR and for half the cost as my razors. DONT HESITATE

Well just got off the phone with Doug not To long ago, he got me squared away with a Ares BTR, so Thank you Doug.

So now can’t wait for it too get here so I can go shooting with it lol

I was skeptical about getting an athlon at first, but am very pleased. I think you will be as well