• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thoughts on STI 1911s? Or Fusion?

philly1010

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2005
Savannah, Ga
Tried to search, no info there.

Anybody got an STI 1911? Been thinking about getting one. Heard some not so good stuff about the double stack mags. I have a Springer 1911 A1, but I have the bug to get a nicer 1911.

Re: Thoughts on STI 1911s?

I can't speak on the double stacks but the single stack style stuff including the 9mm LS9 compact is simply AWESOME. Slide feels like it's on ball bearings. Everything is soooooo smooth on the guns. They shoot awesome as well!

STI and SVI RULE.

My STI 2011 Edge in 40S&W is the most reliable semi auto pistol I've owned.

Can't praise them enough!

Steve

Not sure what gun you're looking at, the STI 1911 is a single stack. The STI 2011 is the double stack. Each is made in a variety of models from carry to full open guns. STI has a pretty good reputation for reliability out of the box and so/so cosmetics. SVI has some crazy cosmetic touches but are hit and miss out of the box. Reliability in the doublestacks is caliber dependant as well. The .45 cal guns are the easiest to get to work because of the length of the magazines. In .40 unless you load long, some of the guns won't run. 9mm is even more sensitive.

There are several people that make a good living tuning STI/SVI mags to run 100%. Once the gun is set up though, it rocks. The 2011 is a bit like a high performance car. If it's set up right, and fed the right fuel it will totally smoke. If you let you're local Jiffy Lube work on it and put shitty gas in it'll puke every time.

I have an STI Trojan single stack 38 super. A very nice accurate trouble free pistol. I just fited a 9mm barrel and it feeds the 9 100% using McCormick 38 super mags. I also own a 40 S&W Edge,per above comments an accurate and reliable pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuck Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There are several people that make a good living tuning STI/SVI mags to run 100%. Once the gun is set up though, it rocks. The 2011 is a bit like a high performance car. If it's set up right, and fed the right fuel it will totally smoke. If you let you're local Jiffy Lube work on it and put shitty gas in it'll puke every time. </div></div>

Nice analogy!

Been wanting a Trojan in 40 myself as I shoot a Para 40 Ltd gun. With the economy the way it is right now, the S_I will be a while coming for me. Every one I've shot and played with were sweet.

I have a bunch of STIs and a couple SVIs.

Awesome guns. Both single stacks and the fat guns.

Of course they're popular with the USPSA crowd. I shoot Kimbers in single stack so I don't have one yet.

If I get into limited or open, I'll be shooting an STI or SV for sure.

I have always wanted a "longslide." Recently I was looking into the Spingfield Longslide. But the STIs seem to be regarded as being a better 1911. The 6" Trojan is a little more money than the Springfield. But it seems that it would be worth it.

I am still keeping my Springer 1911 A1. I just want a new toy.

i shall wager that once you compete with a STI or a SV....you will junk the rest of them kimbers and springfields and colts and all them production /semi custom guns....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shall wager that once you compete with a STI or a SV....you will junk the rest of them kimbers and springfields and colts and all them production /semi custom guns.... </div></div>

I doubt that will ever happen. I have no real interest in competing with a race gun. I keep an open mind about it, but I really have no interest in competing with a gun I'd never carry.

Down, your comments seem contradictory???

"If I get into limited or open, I'll be shooting an STI or SV for sure."

"I have no real interest in competing with a race gun"

You do realise that an open gun is about as racy as it gets right?

If you are looking specifically at the the singlestack 1911's from STI, I believe they are the best value of a 1911 going. You are getting absolutely the best quality components and the build quality of a semi custom shop.

As to the quality of STI products in general they are unequalled and their customer service is excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Down, your comments seem contradictory???

"If I get into limited or open, I'll be shooting an STI or SV for sure."

"I have no real interest in competing with a race gun"

You do realise that an open gun is about as racy as it gets right? </div></div>

How are they contradictory? The STI 2011/SV Infinity frame are the clear choices for limited or open.

At this time, I have no interest in shooting limited or open. If I ever do, I will probably use some flavor of 2011.

What's unclear or contradictory about that? I've been shooting Single Stack since it began and Production for over 5 years. I have little interest in shooting Limited or Open...but I definitely am going to keep an open mind about it and perhaps pick it up in the future.

What divisions do you have a classification card for?

I guess I read your comments of "if I get into" as interest in doing so, not as something that could just possibly happen in some point in time. It makes sense now. I quit IPSC when they dropped the power floor about 10 years ago.(It was hard enough being competitive with an open class 45) Also I was picking up bad gaming habits. I only shot open. Very few shot limited back then and there was no such thing as the "10", single stack, production etc etc classes. Here are my last 3 matches over a decade ago
smile.gif

11/08/98 98-13 CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Y 68.9380 12/16/98
8/09/98 98-10 CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Y 67.9570 8/27/98
7/19/98 98AWR WATERVLIET PRACTICAL SHOOTERS Y 51.2500 8/10/98

I love my tactical 5.0 (other than it says "Tactical" in big letters on the side of the slide). I carry it during the winter.

I bought a new Trojan in 9mm for practice. Before I could try it I found a killer deal on a CQB in 9mm. Sold the Trojan and took the CQB to the range and it ran 100%. The Trojan had function problems, needed work.
J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I read your comments of "if I get into" as interest in doing so, not as something that could just possibly happen in some point in time. It makes sense now. I quit IPSC when they dropped the power floor about 10 years ago.(It was hard enough being competitive with an open class 45) Also I was picking up bad gaming habits. I only shot open. Very few shot limited back then and there was no such thing as the "10", single stack, production etc etc classes. Here are my last 3 matches over a decade ago
smile.gif

11/08/98 98-13 CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Y 68.9380 12/16/98
8/09/98 98-10 CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Y 67.9570 8/27/98
7/19/98 98AWR WATERVLIET PRACTICAL SHOOTERS Y 51.2500 8/10/98
</div></div>

I shot at central jersey this summer. There's a great group of guys there.

Phil, I have an SVI, which is pretty dern close, in 40. Not sure what you have heard about the mags, but mine has been 100% flawless for about 10 years and over 25k rounds or so.

Just to clear up some of the statements about STI/SVI mags and tuning.

Generally if you run the stock mags with factory (or factory length ammo) in a stock gun you should have no more problems than any new gun during break in.

However, if you shoot IPSC/USPSA then you are usually adding aftermarket basepads, springs, and followers to the magtubes in an effort to increase capacity of the magtubes. I have 140mm tubes that hold 21 rounds of .40 and are reloadable in the gun. They will hold 22 rounds to start and give the gun a total capacity of 23 to start a stage (can be a big advantage at times). I have 9mm/38super tubes that hold 30.

To get to this stage it is necessary to "tune" the magazines. This is generally where mag reliability becomes an issue. Again it is only at the extreme ragged edge of performance as shooters try to push capacity and play with OAL that issues tend to surface.

Thanks for all the replies.

NICE .45 Sinister!

I am also now looking at Fusion. They are a little more money, but WOW they make a nice 1911! It seems all too easy to keep moving the amount that you are willing to spend on these.

Well, I found a used STI in really good condition, so I jumped on it. It's a Ranger II. Here are a couple pics:

DSC01127.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

I carry the Tactical 5.0 with a surefire X200 attached for my duty pistol - it's the best duty 1911 style pistol I've ever used/shot/carried. I picked up a bunch of mags from Brownells for it - the only issues I've had were one or two of the 12rd mags didn't want to lock the slide back when empty and several of the 15rd mags also had this issue - swapped internal mag parts and they still do it. So, I use those for training mags and only use the one's that work properly for duty. As to their feeding - they feed it all, all the time. Loading them on a long range day without a loader will teach your fingers/thumbs a few things though.