• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the 2.8L Duramax?

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    So the time had come. I need a new ride and I'm wanting a truck. I don't haul anything other than my rifles (and a few cases are a PITA to cram in the Yaris! :LOL:) but I do have a have a 500 mile a week commute. I am really liking the Chevy Colorado Z71 (Or the Canyon Altitude) with the 2.8L Duramax as 28MPG is pretty damn nice and with a tune 33MPG "might" be possible. My question for the gurus is this... How durable is that little lump (And the AT while I'm asking)? My diesel experince is limited to an OLD Mercedes 300D that was indestructable! TIA

Last edited:
    When I was working at the dealership, I rarely saw anyones with any issues. But then again, they haven't been out too long before I left. Now working with fleets from all over North America, I rarely see any major issues that I see over and over. Just the occasional weird DEF problem... but then you can say that about any modern diesel.

My buddy who owns a dealership said they have been solid. I'm not in the market for another truck but for around town... I'd like to see how it does in the Tahoe like they announced

Reactions: nikonNUT
    I've heard nothing but good things. Nothing major happening with those. Like you, I still have that "still too new" voice in the back if my head.

I've heard nothing but good things. Nothing major happening with those. Like you, I still have that "still too new" voice in the back if my head.
    Right? It's been around for a while but SCR and DEF and DPS, OH MY! Seriously, thank ya'll for the information! Sounds like a few "D-word"s and a tune would make it a fun, fuel hating commuter/hunting rig!

I put 99k on one with no problems. Currently driving the full size with the 3.0 duramax
    Just looked a Z71 Silverado diesel for litteraly a few dollars more. In then end I say this... DAMNIT Toyota! Quit fucking around and offer the diesel Tacoma stateside! Going to try and drive both in the very near future.

I had one and has been the only chevy vehicle that I had to get rid of due to the problems I had.

I won't go into all of them, but the last one that caused me to trade it in was the turbo. At start up in cold weather (-20F) the vanes would bend. Had to replace it twice, and there was no fix for it, such as an upgraded turbo. There is a TSB on the issue.

If you live in a Southern climate probably won't have that issue.

I own a '17 Colorado ZR2. Love the truck. Get 27-28mpg in the summer, get 24-25mpg in the winter.
    Have had no motor issues, does not leak oil, or burn it. They claim, a 22ga;. fuel tank, but I have run it as empty as anyone can, and when I topped it off, had put 24.5gal. in and it was all the way to the filler neck. So, I say it's actually, a 25gal. cap. tank.
    At first, I had some DEF issues with it, but it was all sorted out with the factory warranty. Rides good and for my crippled ass, comfortable.
    I've taken it out West a couple of times on I-70, held it at 80-85mph, and still got 21-22mpg out of it.
    It produces 369lb/ft. of torque at 2000rpms, it'll scoot, but if you plan on passing 4-5 cars at a time, you'd better wind it up and get a run at it. I test drove the 3.6L gas truck, and it really set you back in the seat (308hp), for a six. Mac(y)

I own a '17 Colorado ZR2. Love the truck. Get 27-28mpg in the summer, get 24-25mpg in the winter.
    Have had no motor issues, does not leak oil, or burn it. They claim, a 22ga;. fuel tank, but I have run it as empty as anyone can, and when I topped it off, had put 24.5gal. in and it was all the way to the filler neck. So, I say it's actually, a 25gal. cap. tank.
    At first, I had some DEF issues with it, but it was all sorted out with the factory warranty. Rides good and for my crippled ass, comfortable.
    I've taken it out West a couple of times on I-70, held it at 80-85mph, and still got 21-22mpg out of it.
    It produces 369lb/ft. of torque at 2000rpms, it'll scoot, but if you plan on passing 4-5 cars at a time, you'd better wind it up and get a run at it. I test drove the 3.6L gas truck, and it really set you back in the seat (308hp), for a six. Mac(y)
    Really? That's awesome! I was leaning toward the Z71 as the ZR2 is "only" rated at 22 but if you are getting 28 I would much rather have some of the extras that the ZR2 and Bison have aka front and rear e-lockers.

I had one and has been the only chevy vehicle that I had to get rid of due to the problems I had.

I won't go into all of them, but the last one that caused me to trade it in was the turbo. At start up in cold weather (-20F) the vanes would bend. Had to replace it twice, and there was no fix for it, such as an upgraded turbo. There is a TSB on the issue.

If you live in a Southern climate probably won't have that issue.
    Ark-La-Homa for me so "cold" is mid 20s and that is rare. Last year winter was weird and we saw -5 one day. Last time I saw the temp anywhere near there was in 1989 when it hit 9.

Reactions: BLEE
    Really? That's awesome! I was leaning toward the Z71 as the ZR2 is "only" rated at 22 but if you are getting 28 I would much rather have some of the extras that the ZR2 and Bison have aka front and rear e-lockers.
    It's all in how ya drive em. I use cruise 95% of the time, and where I live, lots of hi-way driving. I don't do "short Hauls" much. It never drives just a block, or two, then gets shut down. Worst F'n thing you can do to a ICE. My shortest drive is 5mi., so there's that...
    The wifey wanted the Z71 (lower, classier looking, blah, blah..), but, I wanted the ZR2, because we were planning on moving back out West to Vegas, and I needed a truck to run the desert and mountains with (I'm an off-road guy). Wellll.. we never made it to Vegas, due to the plandemic. Took the house off the market and all that crap. So, yes, the wifey lets me know about it from time to time.
    My DEF issues were a bitch, and they changed everything in the system. The only component that's OE, is the tank/heater assy. Haven't had any issues for 50k miles, so I think I'm GtG. Good luck with your choice. Mac(y)(y)

It's all in how ya drive em. I use cruise 95% of the time, and where I live, lots of hi-way driving. I don't do "short Hauls" much. It never drives just a block, or two, then gets shut down. Worst F'n thing you can do to a ICE. My shortest drive is 5mi., so there's that...
    The wifey wanted the Z71 (lower, classier looking, blah, blah..), but, I wanted the ZR2, because we were planning on moving back out West to Vegas, and I needed a truck to run the desert and mountains with (I'm an off-road guy). Wellll.. we never made it to Vegas, due to the plandemic. Took the house off the market and all that crap. So, yes, the wifey lets me know about it from time to time.
    My DEF issues were a bitch, and they changed everything in the system. The only component that's OE, is the tank/heater assy. Haven't had any issues for 50k miles, so I think I'm GtG. Good luck with your choice. Mac(y)(y)
    Ditto. On the weekends I might do some really short hops but during the week it's a 50mile drone one way to work. I've always assumed that's why my vehicles las tso long. Everything gets up to temp, burns the crud off, etc. I think I'm sold! Still curious about the Silverado... There is a ZR2 version coming! But will it have a diesel? :D

I love love love my diesel...

That said, I'm going gasser next truck. I've only NOT been able to find diesel in some very rural areas a handful of times, but it's ALWAYS at 11:00 at night, tank on near empty, and the faint sound of banjos in the distance.

Get a gasser and a good mileage programmed chip IMHO FWIW.

Good luck whatever you get though.

My father in law has a shop. They do 1 Ram turbo, 1 Ford 6.7L turbo, and 1 duramax def tank heater a month like clockwork. (Along with all the other junk that goes through) For what I have seen, the 3.0L 1500 series has yet (knock on wood) to have any issues. The 2.8L mostly def issues, and 1 water pump thus far. The 3.6L gas mentioned- shy away. Not as bad as a chrysler 3.6L, or ford 3.5 with internal leaking water pump to the oil pan, but close. To be fair most of the 3.6Ls are fleet vehicles, so driven hard, but maintained. The 3.0L 1500 is my mext purchase in a burb.

I have the 3.0 Duramax and a good friend of mine has the 2.8 liter. For your commute either one would work fine IMO.

Valid point. I just need to test drive them all!
    I just got (like 3 weeks ago) a 2020 Silverado Trail Boss, 5.3 direct injection gas, 10 speed transmission. 355hp/383tq. It's a very quick truck. Had a 2006 Sierra Denali 6.0L which had 350hp/380tq, then 2013 Silverado 5.3...and this 5.3/10 speed has even the 6.0L beat in scoot/feel/handling, etc.

I'm genuinely impressed.

I went 2020 because the 2021 models only had the less desirable 8 speed trans due to chip shortage, and I wanted the 10 speed based on research.

Just get the full-size with the 3.0.

Resale is 100x better on the full size, and you'll appreciate the extra room when you use it.

I myself won't buy a truck without an 8' bed. The wife may bitch that we're at the end of the parking lot when they paint the spaces for nothing bigger than a Prius. She doesn't bitch when it's loaded with her crap to move stuff for her business.

It's also nice to load 4 wheeler or dirt bikes, flip the tailgate up, load the cooler and gear, and hook up to the camper without 1000 straps to keep stuff in.

I wouldn’t buy a new diesel unless I had brand new gas station next door. Those fancy injection systems aren’t meant for America’s ag and industrial blood.

They were or still are produced by VM Motori. Same place that makes the 3.0 turbo diesel in the rams, jeeps etc. The 3.0 is on the 3rd generation due to issues mainly with leaking with the EGR valve. The new 3rd Gen mopar version has two valves now to try and prevent any issues. My first 3.0 took a shit at 62k, but I know people that have 100s of thousands on one that still run fine. Stay on top of maintenance and hopefully it will do good for you

My commute buddy has a 2.8L zr2. Nice truck all around. He’s had two of the 2.8’s now, the old one in
    a standard colorado, which he gave to his dad. No issues with either. The zr2 is tiny inside and out, and after riding in my 21’ Ram(gas), he appreciates the space and the ride. If he were buying again he’d get the 3.0 in a high country silverado.

This is all good news. My next company ride will be a Yukon XL diesel.

We've been waiting 9 months for a Yukon with the 3.0, still no idea from the stealership when we might expect it. Good times

Ditto. On the weekends I might do some really short hops but during the week it's a 50mile drone one way to work. I've always assumed that's why my vehicles las tso long. Everything gets up to temp, burns the crud off, etc. I think I'm sold! Still curious about the Silverado... There is a ZR2 version coming! But will it have a diesel? :D
    I'm old, so my driving habits have changed. I'll push 5mph over posted speeds, or I keep with the flow.
    I've owned over 50+ vehicles (cars, trucks, jeeps, vans, motorcycles) throughout my life time, and I can't remember any one of them, make or model, that was a pos. I usually keep a vehicle 8-10 years, if it still does what I need it to do. My '04 Rubi lasted 14 years, before I traded it for my ZR2.
    I let my motors get up to temp., don't short-haul them, I run mine enough to were the condensation get burnt out of the exhaust. Hell, I had my '04 Rubi for 14 years here in Wisc. (salt/snow), and I had the original exhaust/muffler still on it. I will admit, the muffler was starting to get soft by the time I decided to trade it. Mac
    My commute buddy has a 2.8L zr2. Nice truck all around. He’s had two of the 2.8’s now, the old one in
    a standard colorado, which he gave to his dad. No issues with either. The zr2 is tiny inside and out, and after riding in my 21’ Ram(gas), he appreciates the space and the ride. If he were buying again he’d get the 3.0 in a high country silverado.
    I'm 6'2", 265lbs., leg issues, and I feel pretty comfortable, even on long 600-800 mile days (still need to get out and stretch after two or so hours of driving (mainly because I want to smoke:oops:).
    I test drove a Toyota TRD before the Collie, and that truck was very very cramped for me and I felt the Collie had a nicer interior. It's hard to compare a mid-size truck to a full-size. The full-size will win out every time. Mac

Last edited:
    I have a 2019 Colorado ZR2 with 73,000 miles. I would be more concerned about the transmission than the engine.

Just delete that sucker post haste and it will be a nice rig.

Just delete that sucker post haste and it will be a nice rig.
    And then watch Chevy drop the warranty and leave you high and dry post haste as well. That and you’ll run around with check engine lights on unless you know someone that doesn’t care about getting fined and possibly jailed for tuning it to reflect the delete. From my understanding, the one real company that did that work got fined stupid money by the EPA and they no longer tune the new stuff. I could be wrong and there could be a company flying under the radar doing it.

And then watch Chevy drop the warranty and leave you high and dry post haste as well. That and you’ll run around with check engine lights on unless you know someone that doesn’t care about getting fined and possibly jailed for tuning it to reflect the delete. From my understanding, the one real company that did that work got fined stupid money by the EPA and they no longer tune the new stuff. I could be wrong and there could be a company flying under the radar doing it.
    Warrantys are worthless IMO. They will fix small things, but if there is a major issue, they'll replace 1 part at a time and the problem will still exist, and the truck will be at the dealership half the time. Different strokes I guess. I'll never own a diesel with that EPA shit on it. Way too unreliable. Just find you a good independent shop and rock on with more power and less hassle.

Different strokes I guess. I'll never own a diesel with that EPA shit on it. Way too unreliable.
    It's getting better as the technology improves. But for the most part if it's a diesel related issue it's something to do with the emissions related crap on them. I remember back in day when Ford introduced it on the 6.4s we had a ton of issues. Even when I moved over to Chevy we had a lot of heater pump issues and injector issues. Now, not so much. For some reason I see more and more gas in diesel engines then anything else. That's hell on a Ford. Looking at a 11k repair bill cause you have to pull the cab. Now the only real drawback on a diesel that I see is if you have to replace the particulate filter. Normal cost is 3-4K just for the part.

Reactions: BigTex
    Its more common than you think. There are probably 30-35% of the diesels in my area that are "deleted" and done the right way- with controller, pipe kit, etc and no dash lights coming up. One shop near Heber- thats all they do, all day long. Invoice just shows exhausrlt repairs and fuel economy LGB kit.
    Its so popular (despite the fines, fear mongering, etc) that automakers are wising up and building "non- access programming" into their ecm's. The 2019+ models GM, and Fords there is no "tuner" for them. The only way to delete is pull the ecm, physically send it to hp tuners, and they do a custom build, and remote flash tune once reinstalled while their tech is logged into your computer. The tradeoff? Like mentioned above a dpf is 4k$ if you need one. The tune from hp is almost 3k$, and 700 for the exhaust, but no more plastic jugs, cardboard boxes, limp mode, or warranty if major problems arise.
    So far, works great though!

Its more common than you think. There are probably 30-35% of the diesels in my area that are "deleted" and done the right way- with controller, pipe kit, etc and no dash lights coming up. One shop near Heber- thats all they do, all day long. Invoice just shows exhausrlt repairs and fuel economy LGB kit.
    Its so popular (despite the fines, fear mongering, etc) that automakers are wising up and building "non- access programming" into their ecm's. The 2019+ models GM, and Fords there is no "tuner" for them. The only way to delete is pull the ecm, physically send it to hp tuners, and they do a custom build, and remote flash tune once reinstalled while their tech is logged into your computer. The tradeoff? Like mentioned above a dpf is 4k$ if you need one. The tune from hp is almost 3k$, and 700 for the exhaust, but no more plastic jugs, cardboard boxes, limp mode, or warranty if major problems arise.
    So far, works great though!
    Gotta love making huge amounts trash a requirement to save the environment...

You’re in the minority ther that’s a widely hated engine.
    It had it's issues but if you knew how to deal with them it wasn't horrible.

Same Motor as in the hummve.

If my body hadn't rusted out I wouldn't have bought the 6.7 superduty. With the mods I'd done I was hitting entry level first gen duramax torque and hp

Wifey wanted the full size diesel and it's badass. AT4 with the 10 speed trans is a lot of truck. I appreciate the roomy interior and absolute ease of cruising on the highway for sure! The little onboard goody says it's getting 19.4. I feel like it goes through DEF really quickly though 🤔

I'm old, so my driving habits have changed. I'll push 5mph over posted speeds, or I keep with the flow.
    I've owned over 50+ vehicles (cars, trucks, jeeps, vans, motorcycles) throughout my life time, and I can't remember any one of them, make or model, that was a pos. I usually keep a vehicle 8-10 years, if it still does what I need it to do. My '04 Rubi lasted 14 years, before I traded it for my ZR2.
    I let my motors get up to temp., don't short-haul them, I run mine enough to were the condensation get burnt out of the exhaust. Hell, I had my '04 Rubi for 14 years here in Wisc. (salt/snow), and I had the original exhaust/muffler still on it. I will admit, the muffler was starting to get soft by the time I decided to trade it. Mac

I'm 6'2", 265lbs., leg issues, and I feel pretty comfortable, even on long 600-800 mile days (still need to get out and stretch after two or so hours of driving (mainly because I want to smoke:oops:).
    I test drove a Toyota TRD before the Collie, and that truck was very very cramped for me and I felt the Collie had a nicer interior. It's hard to compare a mid-size truck to a full-size. The full-size will win out every time. Mac

Thats what i was getting at. Unless you need the lockers and clearance of the ZR2, the 1500 with the 3.0L diesel is the easy choice here.

Last edited:
    Wifey wanted the full size diesel and it's badass. AT4 with the 10 speed trans is a lot of truck. I appreciate the roomy interior and absolute ease of cruising on the highway for sure! The little onboard goody says it's getting 19.4. I feel like it goes through DEF really quickly though 🤔
    I could easily get 29-30MPG HWY on a 21 Denali 3.0. It's all flat roads down here though.

I have a 3.0 and the fuel mileage is very good at 55mph. Like 33mpg good. As speed goes up and your pushing a lot more wind mileage degrades quickly. 80 mph will get you into the 24 mpg range.

I am down with the 3.0L duramax but not exactly digging the wet oil pump BELT (Most folks wouldn't care but I keep my rigs for more than the 150000 mile inspection service interval) and the long crank/no start issue makes me leery. GM has halted production due to "shortages" anyways.