• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thoughts on the 223 / wylde brownells BRN180 upper?

I want this, but a lefty version with a lower that can use a MPX or ACR stock.
some retro furniture would also be cool because of reasons that make no sense.

Some pics

Attachments

• 2E117C02-5C1E-47A4-9627-4805DD993418.jpeg
    2E117C02-5C1E-47A4-9627-4805DD993418.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 008D28D7-2B95-4E82-AD04-B24DF827AACB.jpeg
    008D28D7-2B95-4E82-AD04-B24DF827AACB.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 25A8C36B-609E-44C2-B18F-0E9AE6CC37ED.jpeg
    25A8C36B-609E-44C2-B18F-0E9AE6CC37ED.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 70
  • B6572672-4E28-42DD-8D85-3D8154002271.jpeg
    B6572672-4E28-42DD-8D85-3D8154002271.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 74
Maybe they'll also come out with an innovative folding stock attachment that doesn't weigh half a pound and cost $200+.

Reactions: deersniper
Are these shipping out to customers yet?
I haven't seen one shot fired .
Anywhere!
I noticed the demo unit had regular springs but thought I heard them say it would come with 'flat wire springs'?

Reactions: elfster1234
Ok, I take that back.
Seen a commercial today showing about 6 rapid fired rounds from the hip with the stock folded!

Just out of curiosity, anyone have any updates on the BRN 180 upper?
Been searching the internet and can't find much. Just wondering, thanks

I'd be interested in a shorter barreled version. A 11.5" would make perfect upper for a sbr folder.

I'm just wondering if they might be running into reliability issues with it?
You'd think there would be more information out there if it was about to be released?

Pretty cool retro design. Sort of a niche market because it's not a true clone, but is moreso just a relative to the old original. I like the concept of a folding AR without having the need to run a huge adapter on the receiver extension. I don't think I'd be interested enough to ever buy one though.

I'm just wondering if they might be running into reliability issues with it?
You'd think there would be more information out there if it was about to be released?
Crickets from Brownells
Well looking at their site the status now shows Backorder instead of Pre-order. Plus one review with pics.
So it seems that they've started shipping?

Yea, if you follow their social media, they said they got the first batch a week or two ago, but they still havent filled backorders.

Reactions: GONE BAD
How fuckin awesome would it be if they now do a Stoner 63 rifle retro clone-ish model but improved reliability and whatnot(I heard the originals wouldn't run unless they were lubed to the point of damn near dripping wet. Something like the old M96 or whatever its name was from a few years back by Robinson, but with retro + modernized options like the BRN-180.
Hey Brownells, if you're listening, add a Stoner 63 clone to your retro line!!!!!!!!

Well I just built this lower because Brownells informed me that my upper will be here Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_152628517.jpg
    IMG_20190514_152628517.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20190514_152641033.jpg
    IMG_20190514_152641033.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Old_Longhair
No. It's just a cheapo from eurooptics.
The lower is a AM 80% with a PSA lower parts kit.
So nothing special here, just a lower platform for the brn 180.

It's neat but having messed with a 18 I feel it's lesser of a weapon than the 15. No nation ever adopted the 18. There was a neat short barrel .45ACP conversion I saw once that would have worked very well in it though. I think it makes a better SMG than a rifle. It's a muchcheaper to produce weapon than was the M16. I'm sure Brownells uses 7075 instead and they made use of an AR lower, so maybe it won't be that bad, but it won't be a true AR18 either.

This is something I'd consider a toy at best. I wouldn't bet my life on it. I imagine they'll have more problems than the typical M4 and the action is more a novelty. I had an M17 bullpup in the 90's and this makes makes it come to mind for some reason.

If you want a really nice AR upper or rifle, I have an unused 20" built I'd sell that's much nicer with better parts for the same price.

On second thought, it looks pretty cool but I still wouldn't bet my life on it. And it looks like they used steel for the upper, best I can tell. It would be an interesting toy. I'd stock up on any parts you may need, like an extra bolt, springs, firing pin and other parts that may need to be replaced in the future.

I wholeheartedly disagree @Strykervet. I would much sooner stake my well being on the new upper than a 15/16.
For one thing, unlike a 15/16 it has never been "Band-Aided" multiple times to be what it is. The basic design is vastly superior on a number of levels, and now that Brownell's has incorporated more modern materials and manufacturing processes it's a definite improvement over the original 18/180.

It's neat but having messed with a 18 I feel it's lesser of a weapon than the 15. No nation ever adopted the 18. There was a neat short barrel .45ACP conversion I saw once that would have worked very well in it though. I think it makes a better SMG than a rifle. It's a muchcheaper to produce weapon than was the M16. I'm sure Brownells uses 7075 instead and they made use of an AR lower, so maybe it won't be that bad, but it won't be a true AR18 either.

This is something I'd consider a toy at best. I wouldn't bet my life on it. I imagine they'll have more problems than the typical M4 and the action is more a novelty. I had an M17 bullpup in the 90's and this makes makes it come to mind for some reason.

If you want a really nice AR upper or rifle, I have an unused 20" built I'd sell that's much nicer with better parts for the same price.

Hasn’t owned or used one of these but they’re not good enough to trust his life to.

“Buy my 20” rifle cuz it’s better.”

Lol get fucked dude you fucking homo

Old_Longhair, ...been a long while since I've seen an ARMSON OEG sight like that (y) Your 180 looks like one of the original Costa Mesa produced models, not the Howa produced models.

I'm somewhat surprised that Brownell's didn't update the charging handle to an ambidextrous one, a concern brought up back when the 180's were being marketed. The old explaination for the "L" shaped being "ambidextrous" with an "over the top" move with the off-hand seemed kind of weak then....as it does today as well.

Reactions: Old_Longhair
Old_Longhair, ...been a long while since I've seen an ARMSON OEG sight like that (y) Your 180 looks like one of the original Costa Mesa produced models, not the Howa produced models.
I've owned my 180 for 35yrs, and the factory mount & OEG for nearly as long. In it's day, it was the hot setup. I've replaced the tritium lamps twice in that time, and it's finally time to do it again
(well worth the $50 to do).

To me, part of the boon of Brownell's design is being able to pin it on a standard 15 lower, solving the magazine availability problem. Most of the mags I use are modified metal 15's, but being able to run newer poly mags (I use primarily Troy & Lancer) and lowers configured the way I want is enough to justify the price for the new BRN180 upper.