• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the 6.5X47l Load????

Moof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Celestine Indiana
I'm starting to scratch my head on this one and would like ideas and suggestions:

Build: M2008 action, 26 inch Pac-Nor and a spect reamer set for 140 VLD's 2.800 kissin the lands.

I ran the 140s but decided to run the 130 VLD Match instead. Worked up a few loads and found ONE HELL OF A LOAD.... but it's not near fast enough. 37.5 grs of Varget, federal match primers, .289 neck bushing, seated to 2.800. 5 rounds shot a .295 group, 2753fps average, ES=5, D=2

Not being fast enough made me try loads up to 38.8 of Varget with a 1 moa group, 2832fps and shit numbers. The only signs of preasure was just a tad on the primers. I have tried to seat them in .040 and got more volocities but not the 38.8 load. Plus when I did seat them in for the BIG jump... they didn't like it so well.

I would like to stick with Varget if I can and some time soon prolly try some H4350. I'm not even going to bother with the RE powders do to them being VERY temperature sensitive and all.

I'd love to find a load that runs around 2950 +/- if I can for the F class matches and steel bangin fun.

Thought about settin the chamber back (increase the preasure/speed with shorter OAL) but seeing that I have a good "short range" load makes me think I can find one that lets me reach out alot longer.

Any ideas please....

Re: Thoughts on the 6.5X47l Load????

That speed sounds about right to me, but I am just getting started with my 6.5x47 and Varget. I am at 2.585" LOAL with varget, wolf magnum primers, and 123 Scenars, and I am right at 2765 with 37.4 grains. My goal is to get to 2850-2900fps. Granted, my gun was throated for the 123's, and I can't speak to the 140 or 130's.

I would play with the seating depth before I gave up on varget, or else I would try different powder.

With those numbers, the load IS fast enough. Accuracy outweighs speed.

I bet that rl-17 about 39 grains will raise your point of impact dramatically.

I've heard of people with same combo runnin the 130 pills to 2950 with no problem. Ya the load shots quite well but stinks in the wind if and when I chuck em out to 1k. Thank's for your all's .02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
. I'm not even going to bother with the RE powders do to them being VERY temperature sensitive and all.
</div></div>

Your a bit off on this statement, but oh well.

Accuracy beats speed all day long. What ranges are you trying to achieve? That velocity will get me to 1000 at my AO, not sure what your at.

wow this just shows barrel length is important I am running the 130 bergers with exactly 37.5varget with cci 450 and coal 2.805 out of my 27" kreiger abs barrel and I am getting average velocity of 2955fps. so I would say maybe try jamming them into the lands farther to build more intial pressure and maybe have somebody lap your barrel to increase speed. these are just suggestions to try I am by no means a riflesmith so take this with a grain of salt.

good luck scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Moof said:
. I'm not even going to bother with the RE powders do to them being VERY temperature sensitive and all.
</div></div>

Your a bit off on this statement, but oh well.

That's just what i've noticed. It doesn't stay constant when I run their powder. I WELL above the subsonic factor out to 1k, but I just wanted to run em hard to help buck the wind.

If I seat the pill out more i'd be running out of neck. I'm going to try a slower powder (H4350) and bet that I can launch them faster. I'm happy with the load now but wantin one that's a lil faster for them windy days. I know that practicing and alot of range time would be the BEST answer but with my job i'm never home to do so.

RL15 in 6.5X47 IS temp sensitive!

Stick with Varget and H4350. I'm getting <span style="text-decoration: underline">1/4"</span> vertical (not 1/4MOA) @ 300yd with Varget behind 130 Bergers going 2950fps.

Dam you all and your 2950 loads!!! LOL

My reamer had 2 different angle cuts to the lands and I think that's why i'm not runnin the speeds you all are. It's kissin the the lands at 2.800 but to get the presures you get i'd have to go 2.855. Wish i'd known about all this would happen, i'd just gone with a "normal" reamer...