• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the CZ 453 Varmint??

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
I'm having a hard time justifying spending $2,000 (rifle and glass) on an Anschutz, Winny 52, 40X or Cooper LVT or Jackson Squirrel rifle. I've read some good reviews on the CZ 453 Varmint with the set trigger. I know it maqy not be a "one-holer" but what should it do with premium ammo? I'm looking at the .22lr version.

Re: Thoughts on the CZ 453 Varmint??

I'm in the market for a CZ453 (std., not the varmit) as well. Highly interested in shooting small bore Silhouette, and that's the gun that I decided on after some research. Should be able to make hunter class and use the gun for both classes. I would have to effectively disable the set trigger.

I would rather shoot full bore silhouette, but those matches are few and far between.

I have the 452 Varmint.. awesome rifle for the money. I tried a friends 453 but do not see a need for the set trigger.. I put a Brooks trigger kit in my 452 and it good to go.
With Wolf/RWS it will shoot a ragged hole at 50..

452 is the way to go screw a set trigger.As said you can get a Brookes kit or even better an after market adjustable sear or trigger.I cleaned up the barrel channel and with wolf match or fed GM it runs about a .30 cal 5rd hole at 50yds.MrHumble is right there is no better value out there in a .22.

CZ's are great guns for the $ the 452 and 453 are as nice as you get for the $. Personally I don't like the set trigger, so myself I'd go for the 542 and adjust the trigger.

The only downside to the CZ's and what has kept me from buying one is the almost total lack of real target stock options for them. None of the stock CZ models have a high enough comb to get any kind of cheek weld unless you put a sub 30mm scope on them. You can find custom BR stocks, one mcmillian I think, and some overseas models but they cost as much as the rifle does. At that point you are in sako finnfire, remington 504T, suhl, 40x territory. It's really too bad boyds has not done a CZ run. I've heard Richards Microfit does a CZ inlet but from what I've read on rimfire.com their cz stocks are really rough and require a ton of work to finish both on the inletting and the exterior.

Great stuff guys. I heard a man named Ramsey (I think) has just come out with a 2oz trigger for the 452. You guys may be saving me enough money to buy a Lupy or a new Bushnell 6500??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 452 Varmint.. awesome rifle for the money. I tried a friends 453 but do not see a need for the set trigger.. I put a Brooks trigger kit in my 452 and it good to go.
With Wolf/RWS it will shoot a ragged hole at 50.. </div></div>

+1 on this.

I have a 452 in 17HMR and it's very accurate. The only issue is that it's physically small compared to a Rem 700.. good rifles though. I also bedded mine and that made a very small difference.

RJ

You'll wet yourself if you get a 6500. Here's mine on my DPMS Sweet 16.

DSCN2713.jpg

CZ is a good rifle. I love mine. I have a 453 and if I had to do it all over I would just buy a 452 and save a little bit of cash that would be used for ammo. I never use the set trigger. I have the trigger in standard mode adjusted down to a lighter than factory pull is what I use. I have used it target shooting at paper and in 22LR matches. I love it. It shoots better than I can. I bought it as a trainer and I feel it has helped me improve my shooting.

I love em , one my friends has one with the turkish walnut stock and it shoots very well and is nice lookin to boot.

I have the CZ 452 Varmit, and it shoots lights out. In my opinion get either the 453 or the 452 and shoot the crap out of it, I believe you would be happy with either one.

I just got a CZ 452 LUX in a left handed action. Very nice rifle for the $$$$ the next rifle I could get with the same options was over $1200.

With that kind of cash I can upgrade the CZ to a hell of a rifle.

John

Took the CZ 452 Lefty LUX out for the first time today. Shot at 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175 and tried 200yds.

All using the BDC iron sights that come on the rifle. The rifle is a GREAT SHOOTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did all shooting prone slung and the rifle would ring steel every time with a 0 value wind all day long. I only missed my target when I forgot to adjust the BDC for the distance.

Other than that this rifle shoots GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The groups were not bad to be honest, I shot FGMM, Thunderbolt and Winchester White box bulk ammo.

To be honest, groupings will not be taken until I get 500rds down the tube. Thats going to take one more day and I will be there
laugh.gif

John

John: How much did you pay for the CZ? I'm looking forward to seeing your future range results from the rifle.

Hope your family a good holiday season!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John: How much did you pay for the CZ? I'm looking forward to seeing your future range results from the rifle.

Hope your family a good holiday season! </div></div>

Luke,

The Holidays went just fine, thanks for asking. The total cost was $440.97 that included 150rnds of FGMM 22lr.

I have a Savage 17 HMR and now this CZ. The CZ is a MUCH nicer rifle.

John

I just went to the store and took a look at a 453 varmint, it seems to be a very nice rifle for the price. I'm still not sure if the extra cost of the 453 over the 452 is worth it, I will be getting one of these as soon as I can make room for one.

I got a lemon 452 in 22lr.It shot 3/4 inch at 50yards with some different 22 match ammo.

I'd find a used Cooper or Anshcutz

The issue I found with my CZ was after shooting Win. 52 and Anschutz, I didn't like the scaled down action. While working the bolt on a 52 0r 54 is not the same as that of a 700, 40X 0r 70 it is much close than a CZ. The rifle shot very well, but I got rid of it because of the action size. I also have a early CZ which shows much superior workmanship and finish. Again I couldn't tell you the last time I shot it, due to action size. It seems every time I see a newer gun the quality diminishes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richardj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question.. whats the rail on this rifle?

Thanks,
RJ
</div></div>

RJ
I build the rail for the CZs, Sako Quad and Finnfire. You can find them HERE.

I like my CZ and I do own 2 Coopers plus an Anschutz. I have the most fun with the CZ simply because I'm not afraid if I take it out of the safe.

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marctolate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my 453 Varmint for two months now, love the rifle.

Shoots great, the only thing I would be interested in, is a stock with pistol grip, like this one

TR1stock.jpg
</div></div>

This is the only link in the US I know of.

<span style="font-weight: bold">LINK</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotRod9mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richardj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question.. whats the rail on this rifle?

Thanks,
RJ
</div></div>

RJ
I build the rail for the CZs, Sako Quad and Finnfire. You can find them HERE.

I like my CZ and I do own 2 Coopers plus an Anschutz. I have the most fun with the CZ simply because I'm not afraid if I take it out of the safe.

cool.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the link regarding the rail.

I guess set triggers are a personal thing; I LOVE my 453 Varmint with set trigger. Hunting and target trigger, all in one.

I shot Win52s and Anschutzes competitively and no, a CZ is not in the same league. But those guns are dedicated purpose and there's not a lot else you do with them except target shoot.

As an all-around shooter, the CZ gives up nothing. Accuracy is GREAT for me, with appropriate ammo. I tried 452s with the trigger kid, you're buying a gun that immediately needs a band-aid. Even when not using the set function the 453 trigger is superior.

I bought the rail directly from CZ-USA, I was not happy with the price but it works. I am not happy with the lack of stock options, eventually I'll likely get one from rifle-stocks.com but I like it enough the way it is that I'm going to build my 243 before I upgrade the CZ.

Does the 453 have the same set trigger the 527 LUX does? I ask because I have a 527 LUX in .223 and wondered if the CZ 453 has the same trigger you have to push forward before you pull it? Bill T.

If you are going to pay for the best ammo which is quite expensive I would buy the rifle which can use it to full extent. Although the best ammo cost close to or more then .223 reloads so I don’t shoot the highest quality stuff. Still in my CZ-452 Varmint it is relatively easy to shoot groups below .5 MOA at 50 yards with the cheaper match grade stuff. I am talking about ammo which cost $3 - $5 dollars a box not $12 – $24. The groups at 100 yards are mostly between 1.5 and 2 MOA. I am actually getting kind of bored with my rifle and I am thing about getting a Kimber SVT to replace it.

Whether or not they have the same parts in both triggers, I'm not sure. Without having part numbers there is no real way to tell. Looking at Midsouth Shooters though, they sell a replacement trigger that converts the "set" into a "single-stage" trigger. They are selling the same trigger for both models...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00213CZ527

But yes, the 453 does have the same set trigger function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to pay for the best ammo which is quite expensive I would buy the rifle which can use it to full extent. Although the best ammo cost close to or more then .223 reloads so I don’t shoot the highest quality stuff. Still in my CZ-452 Varmint it is relatively easy to shoot groups below .5 MOA at 50 yards with the cheaper match grade stuff. I am talking about ammo which cost $3 - $5 dollars a box not $12 – $24. The groups at 100 yards are mostly between 1.5 and 2 MOA. I am actually getting kind of bored with my rifle and I am thing about getting a Kimber SVT to replace it. </div></div>

Might better do some research on the SVT. From what I have see personally in BR 50 comps they are a crap shoot. Some good and some not so much. I'll take my CZ Varmint over the Kimber any day as far as end result shooting goes.