• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the kuiu pro pack kit

6.5creedmoor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Has anyone on here ran the kuiu pro 6000 pack or any of the kuiu packs? Looking at using it for hunting as well as field course type matches like the mammoth sniper challenge? Is this a good pack to use or should I go another way.

Man you just missed out, they did a sell a couple weeks ago. I will be running the ultra 4000 with pro suspension at mammoth. So far the pack seems pretty nicely made, don’t have any others to compare it to. Gonna go out tonight and give it a run down with about ~30lbs to see what I need to adjust. It rides my hips real well and feels almost weightless on my shoulders with 40lbs. Really wanted the ultra 5500 but they were out of stock

Man you just missed out, they did a sell a couple weeks ago. I will be running the ultra 4000 with pro suspension at mammoth. So far the pack seems pretty nicely made, don’t have any others to compare it to. Gonna go out tonight and give it a run down with about ~30lbs to see what I need to adjust. It rides my hips real well and feels almost weightless on my shoulders with 40lbs. Really wanted the ultra 5500 but they were out of stock
How does the rifle attach to the pack?

How does the rifle attach to the pack?

I am going to place it in the side pocket and strap it using the bag compression straps. Will probably run a couple around the frame for good measure. Had my partners Ar15 in it, which weighs 11lbs and it held just fine. My sotic is tipping the scales around 14lbs and think it’ll be fine there.

They run sales often so just get another pack. I have the pro 2300 for 1 and 2 day matches. I use their rifle carrier in the back configuration. 25ish pound MPA comp rifle. Loaded up it rucks awesome

They run sales often so just get another pack. I have the pro 2300 for 1 and 2 day matches. I use their rifle carrier in the back configuration. 25ish pound MPA comp rifle. Loaded up it rucks awesome
Do you mean between the frame and the bag for your rifle?

Tripod but it illustrates

Attachments

• 20191105_201444.jpg
    20191105_201444.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 20191105_201447.jpg
    20191105_201447.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 343
  • 20191105_201450.jpg
    20191105_201450.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 278
Not sure if you are dead set on a Kuiu, I bought an Exo Mountain Gear pack and have been really happy with it. You can get a weapons carrier that attaches either to the side or the rear and you can cinch your rifle down really tight. I ran the Vortex Extreme with it and it worked great. I got the 2200 cu in model and it can carry a shit load of gear, but isn't so huge that it's unwieldy.

I've been hunting with the pro and an 1850 bag for a couple seasons now. It's a great day pack with the smaller bag. I would definitely go with the pro instead of the ultra. The ultra is their Uber lightweight system, but doesn't have any interior pockets AFAIK.

I've been running a kuiu pack for a few years now, I have the 3000 and 6000 bag. They work well for my hunting needs. But my life changed this year after trying on a friends EXO gear bag. I think they cost a little more but damn are they comfortable, better buckles and from what I saw a better load shelf (if thats something that matters to you). My next bag will be an Exo Mountain Gear 100%

Reactions: Ryan7839
Look at Kifaru.

US made.

Bomb proof. As in completely.
Very modular. Can change bag for different stuff pretty quick and easy.

Last pack you hafta buy

Reactions: Lawnboi
Some food for thought from my perspective. This is our 7th season teaching our Backcountry Hunter Course (information on 2020 dates coming, check the training thread for updates) and literally every year someone brings a Kuiu pack to class, they end up selling it, or wanting to throw it off the mountain. Kuiu makes great clothing that's high quality, but their pack design leaves much to be desired. There's way too many straps to get the bag adjusted properly, and for some body types, you simply can't get the right fit. We've found the bags are unstable on the longitudinal axis when loaded heavy, and they roll around on your back.

We recommend Stone Glacier bags over Kuiu, and if anyone's interested in the why, I'd be happy to post some discussion points.

Reactions: 96C
To agree with the last 2 posts.

Love Kuiu clothing. Their packs leave a bit to be desired for me.

@CaylenW

Would love to hear your thoughts on SG packs.
Do you recommend over Kifaru or just your chosen top end US made pack?

Reactions: CaylenW
To agree with the last 2 posts.

Love Kuiu clothing. Their packs leave a bit to be desired for me.

@CaylenW

Would love to hear your thoughts on SG packs.
Do you recommend over Kifaru or just your chosen top end US made pack?

I'm not a fan of Kifaru either. Too many straps, and really difficult to adjust them all properly. I know some folks love them, and that's cool, but we've seen students be miserable with them too.

Stone Glacier has been my go-to for the last 6 years. They're simple. Really simple. I can have one properly adjusted within 5 minutes out of the box for a perfect fit on just about anyone. (I will say for really short torsos they're lacking and need to be modified to adapt.) I've still got my original Sky 7400 and I beat the literal piss out of that bag. I've had it loaded to 142 lbs and no matter what, 142 lbs is 142 lbs, but it carried the weight really well, and the belt stood up to the abuse on an 8 mile packout.

Plus, you simply cannot beat the weight. A 7400 cube bag empty at 5.2 lbs is really light. The next step from there is something like an alpine climbing bag from Hyperlite or Cilo, but they're just not designed to carry the weight backpack hunters need them to carry.

Kuiu for 4 years now. I love them. Lots of straps, yup but i can get a perfect fit and the CF frame literally becomes part of your own body. I can pack out a boned cow elk in 3 trips, no stress.
Big bull, more trips of course, but still comfortable and durable.
Buy what works for you.

Thanks for the insights.

Well, i had the Kifaru staff set mine up at the shop since I am local, so that probably helped.

They also have very easy videos to help if one is confused......

6 one way, 1/2 dozen another.

Good packs are good packs and we all have preferences.

Some food for thought from my perspective. This is our 7th season teaching our Backcountry Hunter Course (information on 2020 dates coming, check the training thread for updates) and literally every year someone brings a Kuiu pack to class, they end up selling it, or wanting to throw it off the mountain. Kuiu makes great clothing that's high quality, but their pack design leaves much to be desired. There's way too many straps to get the bag adjusted properly, and for some body types, you simply can't get the right fit. We've found the bags are unstable on the longitudinal axis when loaded heavy, and they roll around on your back.

We recommend Stone Glacier bags over Kuiu, and if anyone's interested in the why, I'd be happy to post some discussion points.
Is it possible to attach a rifle to the stone glacier bags?

For rifle carry check out the kifaru gun bearer. They make a universal to fit on about any pack. Kifaru also happens to have many different and easy imo ways to strap a rifle on a pack. That said the gun bearer keeps the gun accessible without removing your pack.

I’d try to sell you a kifaru, but this thread is not about kifaru so I’ll leave it at that unless you want me to embellish. Personally I’d spend the bit extra for a US made pack. KUIU makes good cloths imo, wouldn’t own one of their packs.

I've been running a kuiu pack for a few years now, I have the 3000 and 6000 bag. They work well for my hunting needs. But my life changed this year after trying on a friends EXO gear bag. I think they cost a little more but damn are they comfortable, better buckles and from what I saw a better load shelf (if thats something that matters to you). My next bag will be an Exo Mountain Gear 100%

Can you do a little comparison between the two frames? Do you think the Kuiu bag would work on the exo frame? I guess 1850 and 3200 aren't thaaaat different, but I really like the smaller bag.

Last edited:
Can you do a little comparison between the two frames? Do you think the Kuiu bag would work on the exo frame? I guess 1850 and 3200 aren't thaaaat different, but I really like the smaller bag.

I don't think they are transferable between brands. Like others have said the KUIU bags have a ton of straps, even swapping bags I had to watch and rewatch the youtube tutorial to make sure I did it correctly. I will say the EXO frame is hands down waaaay more comfortable, its designed well and if you go to their store in Boise they will even fit it and get it adjust to your body perfectly. I haven't tried on any Stone Glacier packs but have only heard good things.

As for a frame comparison, the EXO frame has better waist bands. They are thicker and more padded and cinch down nicely. Also, no matter how I adjust my kuiu straps the bag always seems to sag a little with weight in it. The exo was easy to snug up to the frame ie my back. Carrying equal weight the exo seemed to feel lighter just due to the way I was carrying the load.

I'd put EXO and SG above KUIU personally. If possible try them all on with some weight in them and see what fits you best.

These are strictly my opinions and nothing more.

Last edited:
I'm now more looking Into the exo and the SG bag I'd rather buy once and be able to use the bag and be comfortable then buy one and have a lot of issues getting it set up and just saying screw it and selling it for a loss and still end up getting the more expensive one anyways. Does anyone know if exo or SG have dealers in the southern Arizona area I'd really like to put one on and see how it feels.

I'm now more looking Into the exo and the SG bag I'd rather buy once and be able to use the bag and be comfortable then buy one and have a lot of issues getting it set up and just saying screw it and selling it for a loss and still end up getting the more expensive one anyways. Does anyone know if exo or SG have dealers in the southern Arizona area I'd really like to put one on and see how it feels.

exo is direct to customer, they have a pretty detailed sizing tutorial on their website though. That doesn't help with how it feels to ya though.

Ross outdoors in Phoenix sells SG packs

I think your shorting yourself by atleast not researching exo, stone glacier, kifaru and Seek outside.

As said above my preference is kifaru, though I haven’t used them all. Also have a seek outside for specific applications. Really prefer my kifaru fulcrum when meat is on the ground. They are strappy, and many pockets can be added, but I haven’t had any problem. Some of those straps really help when meat hits the ground.

This opinion is coming from a hunter/backpacker, dipping into precision shooting.

Reactions: clark33
I think your shorting yourself by atleast not researching exo, stone glacier, kifaru and Seek outside.

As said above my preference is kifaru, though I haven’t used them all. Also have a seek outside for specific applications.

This opinion is coming from a hunter/backpacker, dipping into precision shooting.

I'm in the same boat, more backpack hunter than precision shooter, my logic is whats comfortable carrying 40lbs for a week should be great for the hills as well as weekend shooting matches. Used the KUIU for 3 seasons now, a few overnighters and have packed out multiple boned out mule deer and antelope. I will be upgrading my pack to an exo for next season.

I tried a osprey brand pack at REI and they measured and adjusted it for me to try and threw weight in it amd it was super comfortable but its not a hunting or tactical pack. It felt well built and sturdy but I dont see it lasting up to being used for hunting and things like that as it's not designed for that application in the first place.

I tried a osprey brand pack at REI and they measured and adjusted it for me to try and threw weight in it amd it was super comfortable but its not a hunting or tactical pack. It felt well built and sturdy but I dont see it lasting up to being used for hunting and things like that as it's not designed for that application in the first place.

I have three years of use on my Osprey, Kestrel 38 I think. The only damage I’ve done to it is tearing up one side mesh pocket by stuffing it full of sharp rocks.

I have easily 200 days of hiking-type use on it, multiple airline flights, shot off of it, carried 60+lbs in it on occasion and it’s doing fine. It’s one hell of a pack for $160. Plus, I can fit a folding stock 16” bolt rifle inside. Great pack.

If you want to carry 75-100 pounds in a Kuiu set up properly to carry 2 large meat sacks give this new suspension a try. Pro suspension

Not at all saying that Kuiu is better than than the the other packs mentioned and thoroughly extolled but I will not be trading in my pro 3600 kuiu pack anytime soon - my pack absolutely becomes part of me.

I'm in the same boat, more backpack hunter than precision shooter, my logic is whats comfortable carrying 40lbs for a week should be great for the hills as well as weekend shooting matches. Used the KUIU for 3 seasons now, a few overnighters and have packed out multiple boned out mule deer and antelope. I will be upgrading my pack to an exo for next season.

From the Exo I handled, first gen, it seemed like a well thought out pack. As I said I don’t think anyone can go wrong with any of the US made brands out there that cater to the hunter. Exo, kifaru, stone glacier, seek outside.

My best advise is when shopping try to get your hands on as many as you can. Each I have seen and tried had different things I preferred or didn’t about it. Easier said than done being that most of these are sold direct to consumer.

My kifaru gave its 12th animal a ride last week, and still going strong. With all these new packs coming out, and from different companies I just have to put on the blinders and tell myself what I have works just fine.

Plus, you simply cannot beat the weight. A 7400 cube bag empty at 5.2 lbs is really light. The next step from there is something like an alpine climbing bag from Hyperlite or Cilo, but they're just not designed to carry the weight backpack hunters need them to carry.

Ahem. With all due respect, I've been summoned here by some of my customers who may or may not participate in this forum but definitely do pay attention. CiloGear is a leading manufacturer of alpine climbing bags. In fact, I invented a variety of the fabrics that folks use in the alpine world and beyond...even companies like Stone Glacier use materials CiloGear pioneered. Our alpine packs are designed to carry loads for alpine climbing: maybe 30 to 40 pounds. At this time, we don't make packs for hunting, and we focus on our taking care of our customers. I am NOT here to solicit sales, I'm only here because my customers are being super snarky, downright annoying and they asked me to make this post.

That said, CiloGear is proud of a long history of making packs that carry heavy loads in kinetic environments. We make a wide variety of different levels of suspension to match the customer's requirements. While one element may resupply via helicopter, another customer base prides itself on being fully self contained on recce opportunities...so I match the wares to fit the requirement. When folks are carrying the AI 50, well, they need a different set up than when you're carrying a 300 win mag. Law vs Carl G. Etcetera etcetera...and if I ever make the switch over to making hunting dinner rather than gunmen packs, I'm sure the company will actually market them. At this time however, we focused on perfecting the goods we make for the men who need them. But please don't comment that CiloGear can't carry obscene weights. Some of our products are specifically designed to carry very heavy loads to a fight and fucking well win that fight.

The attached photos are very old, and the current incarnation of our 40 sniper is in use by several customers. I present two images with full permission of the customer basis, nay, with the encouragement of those folks... one of the rear, one of the front. The user in these images was weighed at carrying 110# over body + kit weight. I've seen the photo of the scale before they left the FOB but you'll have to trust me on that. But hey, as you can see he was loaded down and ready to lay down the LAW. ;)

PS: If you haven't already called or written to your congress critter to support HR 2435, please do so when you read this. I'm posting this on Veteran's Day, and surely the VA should figure out what we all know, and support getting Veterans into the wilderness and the outdoors to accelerate their recovery.

40sniperBACK copy.jpg

rear view.
40sniperFRONT copy.jpg

front view. Note how difficult it is to identify his weapon system and how the signature is managed...

Last edited:
I was an early adopter of kuiu packs. I’ve used and still use the icon 300 pro, icon 7200, and the current 7800. I’ve broken two frames under heavy use...... very heavy use. I would say that they stood up fairly well to the abuse of the mountains and 120+ lbs of load for being such a light weight pack. I always felt a little worried about the carbon frames cracking but it’s only happened twice and kuiu customer service was absolutely top notch. They definitely stand up to their workmanship.

The current icon pro 7800 is by far the most comfortable of the renditions I have owned and used. Pockets and bag material are also much better on this current version. For the weight, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in the mountains on a sheep hunt. For a deployment where I know my bag is literally going to get punished and severely abused I would opt for something other than carbon fiber.

I’ve not shot Mamoth so I don’t know what kind of conditions you’re facing. If you’re going to be hauling around more than 70plus lbs of gear and literally throwing your bag around I would be cautious of the carbon frame. If you need to just carry your gear and not throw it around you I’ll likely be fine.

FWIW, I did by necessity on one hunt have to “drag” my icon 7200 (which was loaded with about 120lbs) down the side of a hill to the bottom about 50 yards. It was not smooth, nor was it kind to my body or the bag. The alternative was I go down the mountain with the bag on and that really didn’t seem like a good option at the time. Anyway, long story short, bag and frame did fine with no damage. I used it for several hunts after with no issue.

Reactions: never_summer
Has anyone on here ran the kuiu pro 6000 pack or any of the kuiu packs? Looking at using it for hunting as well as field course type matches like the mammoth sniper challenge? Is this a good pack to use or should I go another way.
I've used the Kuiu pro packs before, solid packs. I prefer Kifaru, but they are heavier, albeit beefier and more solid feeling. I did like the pocket arrangement, internal suspension and lash points, and the full panel opening that the Kui offered.

I’m running the Ultra 4000 for Mammoth. Seems comfortable with 50lbs with rifle on one side and spotter on the other.

Attachments

• E4060061-6347-43DC-BD62-3C221A5604FC.jpeg
    E4060061-6347-43DC-BD62-3C221A5604FC.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: never_summer