• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the Lyman power trimmer?

BWYoda

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
NC/Baghdad
Considering purchasing one of these and wondered if they were worth the money or if not what else might fit the bill. I don't have the cash for a Giraud right now and have heard that the motor on the Gracey isn't the best - as evidenced by Giraud making replacements for them. I'm primarily loading .308 for precision rifle, 9mm and .223 (to feed the M4). Your thoughts would be appreciated guys.

Re: Thoughts on the Lyman power trimmer?

I have a Gracey-with the blades it comes with it sucks. B Jones manufacture's target sights and also makes a carbide blade that replaces the 2 tool steel gracey ones with a single blade. Each blade is shaped like a triangle and has 3 cutting faces. With the carbide blade all is well for trimming 308,300WM and 338LM. That said-the motor supplied is OK-but if I were to purchase another trimmer I'd buy a Giraud.

I don't know how you could use either the Giraud or the Gracey with a case like a 9mm. The gracey "shell adapter" is cut like a chamber-the case registers on the shoulder. But most rifle calibers are supported-you just buy an additional adapter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BWYoda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering purchasing one of these and wondered if they were worth the money or if not what else might fit the bill. I don't have the cash for a Giraud right now and have heard that the motor on the Gracey isn't the best - as evidenced by Giraud making replacements for them. I'm primarily loading .308 for precision rifle, 9mm and .223 (to feed the M4). Your thoughts would be appreciated guys. </div></div>

I use a Lyman Universal with their power drill adapter cutting bar. It has a universal locking shellholder which dispenses with the various shellholders needed for other trimmers. It comes with nine common pilots. With an 18v cordless drill, I can trim 12 per minute. I still have to campher and deburr, but it was $75 with the extra bar and cutter head.

I've read mixed reviews on the Lyman basic trimmer, but mine has been fine over 15 years. I did have to add a washer to the frame, as the locking colar was eating into the bronze bushing face plate, but it was nothing.

It cuts pretty well, but it's no Giraud. I don't know how quickly the motor spins on the powered version, but just get the basic trimmer and adapter bar and use a cordless drill. It really goes fast.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Using the drill would certainly be a cheaper option. Talking of the chamfer and de-burr have you used the RCBS 3 way cutter? From their literature it's not too clear whether it is for RCBS trimmers only or will fit others too. I'm considering it to consolidate the two steps. Back to the Lyman though, how do you find the adjustments - fine enough for precision reloading?

I have the RCBS as well as a Forster for 50BMG. They are definitely accurate enough for precision ammo. The big problem is when you have a big bucket of brass that ALL need to be trimmed.
I used to use a 1/2 cordless drill with my RCBS for years-problem is I still had to chamfer INSIDE the necks.

With the Gracey or Giraud-its all in one. With my gracey I can trim them as fast as I can pick them up.The manual trimmers work fine-but if you are a volume reloader,the reason is labor-not accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BWYoda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Chris,

Using the drill would certainly be a cheaper option. Talking of the chamfer and de-burr have you used the RCBS 3 way cutter? From their literature it's not too clear whether it is for RCBS trimmers only or will fit others too. I'm considering it to consolidate the two steps. Back to the Lyman though, how do you find the adjustments - fine enough for precision reloading? </div></div>

Their micro adjusting collar is pretty fine, fine enough to get you +/-.0005"-.001". I'm not somebody that has to be dead on and I don't trim to the minimum, so I'm going to always have some cases that are under my target length.

After 15 years, my bronze bushing has opened up slightly and I do get the tiniest bit of slop/wobble, but it's minimal.

I trim 223 to 338LM on it and it has worked well for me. I have a big batch of 308 to trim (300) tomorrow, which I've been putting off.

I don't know the thread size of the RCBS 3 ways, nor the Lyman cutting head, but if they're the same, I'd buy a 223 and 308 in a heart beat.

Chris

Sorry to change the subject, but on the Giraud how would one switch calibers? Do they sell different collars and if so how much for each additional caliber?

Thanks,
Chance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to change the subject, but on the Giraud how would one switch calibers? Do they sell different collars and if so how much for each additional caliber?

Thanks,
Chance </div></div>

You need two parts:

A cutting head that is caliber specific, which is to say .224, .308, .284, etc. You can trim 223, 22-250, 220 Swift with the. .22 cutter.

You then need case holders, which are case specific, like a .308 Win, a 300 WM or a 300 RUM.

Cutters work for bullet calibers across the range, case holders are for each cartridge.

Chris