• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the S&W MP10 (.308) or the MP15(.300 whisper)

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I was thinking about a future rifle purchase. I was contemplating either an MP10 in .308 or an MP15 in .300 Whisper. I haven't seen any of these in action and would like to know if they are worth it?

Thanks

The local shop had an MP10 on sale for $1100. It had a very thin barrel, and I had to wonder... was it a deal, or just 'you get what you pay for'?

The local shop had an MP10 on sale for $1100. It had a very thin barrel, and I had to wonder... was it a deal, or just 'you get what you pay for'?

I payed $1600 for my M&P10. $1100 is a steal. I have loaded 168-208gr and it shot all sub moa at 100 yards. Fired every time, reliable gun. Barrel is tapered from the barrel nut forward. Only after the gas block does it get thinner. I am keeping it with iron sites, tried 2 different vortex scopes on it during load development. Fun gun to shoot. I would recommend it.

At gas block it is .748 at smallest point it is .498. Great hunting rifle. Doesn't weigh a ton. I have about 500 rounds down it. 300 of them hand loads. 200 factory rounds. I have a apex handguard on it.

I was thinking about a future rifle purchase. I was contemplating either an MP10 in .308 or an MP15 in .300 Whisper. I haven't seen any of these in action and would like to know if they are worth it?

Thanks

Why, with ALL the multitude of different AR-15 and large-frame ARs available on the market today, are you drawn to the S&W offerings? Is there something about them that you think you are getting that you aren't with other platforms or is it the price...or...you get the idea?

I only ask because in my experience with them and opinion of their AR offerings is that they are no better (maybe no worse) than any of the bargain basement rifles on the market today, but you can certainly do a LOT better depending on your ultimate goal with the rifle and your budget.

Also, you are considering two very different animals between the M&P 10 in .308 and the M&P 15 in .300 Blackout. Again, knowing more about what you want/need from the rifle might help to determine which is the better of those two and whether you can do a lot better with a different platform depending on the confines of your budget, etc.

Thanks

MP10s I have seen have all shot well enough. I wouldn't spend more than 1200 on one though mainly because as soon as I got it...the trigger, buttstock, and handguards would all have to be swapped out for better stuff...IE magpul stock, geisselle trigger, maybe lightweight troy float tube, etc etc...

No idea on 300whisper but again...probably meat-potatoes like the other S&W offerings.

They're meat and potatoes...think 50buck stock, 250 lower, 150 dollar upper, 200 dollar barrel, on and on....

I would buy one for a blaster carbine all day long...but to scope something I would spend the money for a rifle with a good trigger, match barrel, as it is worth it...

The one I fondled had a really thin barrel. Lots of stuff to pay extra for then replace and pay for it again.

Love my M&P15, runs like a swiss watch and always has.

I can get a pretty good deal on the S&W firearms which is why I am looking at them. I am looking at a hog, deer gun.

I can get a pretty good deal on the S&W firearms which is why I am looking at them. I am looking at a hog, deer gun.

I'd say it's a great choice for that because it is affordable and light weight.

Also think that with a little work it would be great for 3 gun heavy metal.

Still replace the stock and trigger though, geissella SSA cheap one is 145 and find a magpul str stock for say 60-70 as the trigger and stock are junky.

I got one of the first M&P10's that were released. I was so impressed with it I bought another.

First day on the range and 10 rounds to dial in the scope I was shooting sub MOA out of a new barrel using hand loads I did not develop for this rifle.

What makes the M&P 10 such a nice rifle is the lower and the weight. Ambidextrous everything which was really nice and the reduced weight of the barrel after the gas block helped with balance with my quicksand suppressor installed.

I would not complain about the cheap fixtures, I'd rather buy a rifle with junk fixtures on it and buy the fixtures I want than pay extra for the rifle with high $ fixtures I don't want.

The lower and bolt are proprietary so you will not be swapping those out... but with sub MOA right out of the box, why would you want to?

I did not see any need to swap out the trigger, it felt pretty decent and considering I have Wilson Combat triggers in all of my other AR's, this says something about the factory trigger. Definitely not a WC but sub MOA speaks for itself.

I get some really good deals on my guns and I have never seen a M&P for less than $1,400.00 The average I have seen is $1,550.00. Even at $1500 this rifle is a good deal. Definitely the best off the shelf for the money.

I added an Apex Machine fore end and a Rock River two stage trigger to mine. Don't have a lot of rounds thru it yet (less than 200) but has been reliable and accurate so far. MSRP is $1619.

I'd like to find a place that gives veterans military discounts on firearms... $950 is such an awesome deal.