• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the Sig Spear 308

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Impressed overall.
Recoil is better than I expected.
She’s a pig for sure.
Shooting <1.5”at 100y suppressed and unsuppressed with Winchester 168. Forgot a rear bag. Fully expect sub 1” with bag and better ammo.
About 100 rounds. Zero malfunctions
This thing seriously chucks brass. Over gassed
Absolutely needs a wider ambi charging handle. It’s a proprietary handle.
Stock trigger was better than expected but an Geiselle MCX trigger was put in to try. It’ll need an AR10/SR25 trigger permanently. Takes AR standard triggers.
Think a 13.5 barrel would be the real ticket.
B3BD4873-6E5D-4679-A505-B03CD51611EA.jpeg

DFAE5F52-CDBB-40A4-92DE-E72B1F729E53.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been interested since it was announced, but am having second thoughts. I own a 716 DMR G2 in 6.5CM, and no lie it shoots sub-half MOA with my hand loads. It's been a laser since the first 5 rounds. That being said, the Spear has a similar gas system but accuracy seems significantly sub-par and a step backward. Not sure why..

But I get it, from a collectors perspective it has value, just a little disappointing TBH.

I've been interested since it was announced, but am having second thoughts. I own a 716 DMR G2 in 6.5CM, and no lie it shoots sub-half MOA with my hand loads. It's been a laser since the first 5 rounds. That being said, the Spear has a similar gas system but accuracy seems significantly sub-par and a step backward. Not sure why..

But I get it, from a collectors perspective it has value, just a little disappointing TBH.
Que the "It is supposed to be a war tool, not a precision rifle"....

Reactions: XLR308
Que the "It is supposed to be a war tool, not a precision rifle"....
But then, what does the Spear do, that the 716 DMR G2 doesn't do better? The only answer I can come up with is fire the 6.8x51, which is unavailable. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that I won't be surprised if SIG releases an improved model at shot next year, or improves it somehow in a "quiet" production upgrade.

But then, what does the Spear do, that the 716 DMR G2 doesn't do better? The only answer I can come up with is fire the 6.8x51, which is unavailable. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that I won't be surprised if SIG releases an improved model at shot next year, or improves it somehow in a "quiet" production upgrade.
Different rifle systems, one is piston and one is DI. One has an easy barrel/caliber change and one doesn't. There are a lot of differences including a wide price gap.

Seems to be doubt that 277 fury or this platform will be picked up in any numbers in the military.
On the commercial side the 277 could be very cool, if Sig releases production rights. $89/box isn’t gonna fly for the good bimetal stuff
F1198A38-BC62-4C0C-A321-27480C27CFA2.jpeg
AFBD9C75-130B-433B-9017-C733CDB16271.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: PBWalsh
Seems to be doubt that 277 fury or this platform will be picked up in any numbers in the military.
On the commercial side the 277 could be very cool, if Sig releases production rights. $89/box isn’t gonna fly for the good bimetal stuff
View attachment 8127257View attachment 8127259
Hard to say. I think there is a legitimate need to develop a system that can defeat body armor for frontline troops and the 6.8 with the right round can. I don't think Sig will likely market it to the public though. We'll just get the dumbed down version, similar to the 5.7 widely available today (blue box), who knows, but yeah that price is ridiculous.

Hard to say. I think there is a legitimate need to develop a system that can defeat body armor for frontline troops and the 6.8 with the right round can. I don't think Sig will likely market it to the public though. We'll just get the dumbed down version, similar to the 5.7 widely available today (blue box), who knows, but yeah that price is ridiculous.
The 277 ammo is out (see above pic) but the conversation kit may never be, to your point.

10 shot group sub half moa out of a 716. need to see the video of that one