• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on this combo for LR hunting rig

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Not sure if i really have a specific use for this, but my lathe is almost rebuilt and i am thinking about what i want to build.

Right now i am heavily leaning towards a remington action w/ a 6.5x284 Possibly AI? Probably on a 22 or 24 inch medium contour fluted barrel w/ a vias MB.

Thinking about putting into a manners superlight, or mcs-t.

Should i spend the extra money and build this off a remington, or use the savage action i already have laying around? I like the smoothness of the bolt throw on the remington, but this will add quite a bit of cost.

Will the superlight stock make the recoil too much? I dont have any problem with recoil, but my .308 is right on the upper end of recoil from what my wife likes to shoot, and she spends alot of time on the range w/ me so i thought it would be nice to pick a nice performer that will have a bit less recoil than the .308

I will be handloading.

Are there any other cartridages similar to this that offer less recoil but similar performance? .260?

Where do we think the weight will end up w/ these configurations? I dont mind weight, but i already have a monster of a .308 that weighs 15 pounds minus scope so i dont need another prone gun.

Thanks for the input.

Re: Thoughts on this combo for LR hunting rig

Not sure why you would want to do a 6.5-284 AI.
It is a major barrelburner as is.

A 6.5x55 will get you very close to the same performance.
It will handle the heavy pills better than the .260, when loaded to modern pressures in a modern action, it is hard to beat.

You can AI the old swede, but honestly, it is a very well rounded cartridge as is.

Something in the 120-130 grain class for whitetail. 150-160 for elk.

Would an elk round be similar to a moose round? About the only other hunt besides whitetail, and speed goats i can see doing would be a bear/moose combo at a friend owned fly in resort in ontario canada.

If this round isnt up to speed i could put a barrel on it just for that hunt.

Not to worried about barrel life, i dont have any issues shooting one out just to try it. Shorter barrel life just means less time until i get to switch.

for what you describe no need to go more than 6.5 x 47, very nice brass, easy to load for(time and $$), even in a light rifle the recoil will not turn anyone off, and reasonable barrel life

as far as savage vs remington, no one can answer that for you, either will work fine, so is the extra $$ worth it to you?

What would the primarry differances be between the x55 and x47? Ill google it also, but sometimes its just easier to let the thread progress and get the answers that way also.

Would either be OK, for bear (closer ranges) and moose (perhaps out to 5-600 (just a guess though that might be pretty far where i would hunt, IF i hunt them, and IF i take this rifle)

I dont care about waits either for stuff thats in stock vs not. Does anyonemake a 6.5 5R barrel?

If you're after moose, build the Swede, thousands have been taken with it.

I have a Sako hunting rifle rebarreled by GAP in 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't have a brake on it and I could not be happier with it. It is around 9-10 pounds with scope and bipod. 6.5s are more tolerable than 308win in a light hunting rig. With a Vias brake for 6.5s, I would not worry about the recoil.

If you are going to be doing elk and moose hunting, and want this to be a LR rig I would suggest going with different caliber. I chose 300 WSM to do similar project, and my teenage daughter is able to shoot it very well. It is not a heavy gun and has a manners with their 90% fill.

If I were thinking about hunting moose and bear and was trying to decide between a 6.5x47 L or a 6.5 x 55 I would take the old Swede and run were up to modern pressures and shoot heavy bullets in it. The swede will handle 140 grains and up much better than the 47, I like both very much my main comp gun is a 47 and my favorite hunting gun is a 110 year old Swede. My 1,000 yard comp gun for windy days is a 6.5 x 55 AI, i get 3,050 out of 139 scenars easily and it is accurate.

I probably do not have to say but I am a 6.5mm whore.

Just my thoughts,

wade